Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid closing for month long refurbishment Feb 2-Mar 6

Kman101

I appreciate what the Speedway brings but they either need to visually update it (seriously, it looks really bad and sticks out like a sore thumb, IMO) or build something new in it's place and put a speedway type ride elsewhere (DHS ... or Epcot by Test Track). I like what Hong Kong did with the Speedway.

Anyway ... about that refurb ... lol

Glad to hear we are getting the upgrades DCA got. I look forward to seeing the blacklit Under the Sea scene. I can't believe how poorly that was done to begin with. See Disney, this is why you need to spend the money to do it right the first time. You could have completely avoided this refurb by spending the money then instead of now. When will they start to "get it"?

Kman101

It just seems more well done. Well done landscaping, signage, etc. It looks like money was spent on it and it shows. MK's seems like a concrete wasteland. It just doesn't look very appealing. From the entrance to the ride itself. It also seems to be showing it's age at this point.

Basically, Hong Kong's fits better thematically.

Ttocs

Do refurbishments ever have soft openings or open earlier than first stated? Seems like a long time just to fix some lighting. Plus I will be there the end of February and would love to ride this :-D

ToTBellHop

Do refurbishments ever have soft openings or open earlier than first stated? Seems like a long time just to fix some lighting. Plus I will be there the end of February and would love to ride this :-D
Sometimes a day earlyl, but not usually a week early like you are hoping for.

doctornick

So, to be clear: MK is getting the LM ride enhancements that already has gone into DCA, right? I know there was talk about changing the end ride scenes as well (which was not done at DCA) -- is that going to be part of this refurb?

wdrive

If the MK version is getting the DCA updates then it seems like the right amount of time for this.

roj2323

It just seems more well done. Well done landscaping, signage, etc. It looks like money was spent on it and it shows. MK's seems like a concrete wasteland. It just doesn't look very appealing. From the entrance to the ride itself. It also seems to be showing it's age at this point.

Basically, Hong Kong's fits better thematically.
Very true. The Hong kong version does have the the issue of capacity however.

Sped2424

So, to be clear: MK is getting the LM ride enhancements that already has gone into DCA, right? I know there was talk about changing the end ride scenes as well (which was not done at DCA) -- is that going to be part of this refurb?
I don't believe we are getting the new ending. If any version of the ride is going to get that first it shall be the DCA one.

Jose

Ariel with red lips.
24nfte0.jpg

flyerjab

It is funny how simply dimming the lights, improving the paint on the AAs, etc., can dramatically improve this ride experience. It is a shame that they can't extend the ride. I actually don't mind this ride from a story retelling perspective up to the big Under the Sea room and the appearance of Ursula. Afterwards, it is clear that one of 2 things happened: the money train stopped and they had to shorten the ending sequence of scenes, or, they were afraid to scare little kids with a big, frightening Ursula fight scene.

It is a shame, really. Had they extended this ride with even just 2 more scenes, it would be so much better.

Magenta Panther

It is funny how simply dimming the lights, improving the paint on the AAs, etc., can dramatically improve this ride experience. It is a shame that they can't extend the ride. I actually don't mind this ride from a story retelling perspective up to the big Under the Sea room and the appearance of Ursula. Afterwards, it is clear that one of 2 things happened: the money train stopped and they had to shorten the ending sequence of scenes, or, they were afraid to scare little kids with a big, frightening Ursula fight scene.

It is a shame, really. Had they extended this ride with even just 2 more scenes, it would be so much better.

Same prob with the Mine Train, apparently. I wish TDO would stop cheaping out all the time. :p

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I thought the same thing after my first ride through, but ultimately came to the same conclusion. The giant Ursula would be kind of terrifying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom