West Side Parking Garage construction

lazyboy97o

It's off topic, which is sort of the point.

Go make your own thread in the General section if you want to talk about how innovative WDW should be.
The parking garage was not built in a vacuum. It's being built by Reedy Creek Improvement District, a legal entity that exists for the very purpose of enabling Disney to use innovative ideas.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, Feb 3. Structural details are apparent in the West parking garage access building. The front and sides of the building will have columns on brick bases. This appears on both the second level and ground level.

IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

An update photo on the second garage access building between Splitsville and Pop Gallery.

IMG_4740.JPG

Last edited:

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, Feb 21. Much of the decorative metal work has been added to the side of the parking garage that faces the West Side buildings.

IMG_4849.JPG

Now that the basic structure of the parking garage access building is finished, hardscaping on the grounds around the access building is under way. These concrete low walls have been added and a round feature is taking shape in the center of the area.

IMG_4852.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, Feb 26. The access building to the West Parking Garage now has louvered panels on both sides of the building that mirror those on parts of the parking garage. The structure is open air, so the panels will let air circulate; windows would not and would always be dirty.

IMG_4887.JPG

Last edited:

mm121

Photo update as of Thursday, Feb 26. The access building to the West Parking Garage now has louvered panels that mirror those on parts of the parking garage.

View attachment 84535
Eww.. thats terrible.

But they are probably doing it because of the lawyers, so people wont drop things from the walkway onto the road.

but seems really dark and clausterphobic, if it needs to be enclosed for legal reasons, seems like windows would be best.

mm121

May also be to block the view into the service yard that is next door to it.
True, hopefully they wont close in both sides.

I dont really get why they didnt do anything with that service court, seems like a wasted opportunity to not have the AMC add an imax or something.

roj2323

Eww.. thats terrible.

But they are probably doing it because of the lawyers, so people wont drop things from the walkway onto the road.

but seems really dark and clausterphobic, if it needs to be enclosed for legal reasons, seems like windows would be best.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are windows on the other side. The louvers on the side depicted are there to limit the view of the backstage trash compactor and storage area.

roj2323

New permits have been filed for this garage extending the original expiation date from March 1 to August 1. I still haven't seen a permit for the second garage.
The second garage will probably get started in summer (June-august) I would think. They probably what to get the road wrapped up a bit as well as get the exterior changes to World of disney wrapped up before they close off the area and create more mud for a 16-24 month project. I know they are pushing hard to get the Bus bypass (single lane road going around the toy store to the service road) in place so perhaps that's part of the wait as well.

DisneyCane

I dont really get why they didnt do anything with that service court, seems like a wasted opportunity to not have the AMC add an imax or something.

Probably because the service court is necessary for the operation of the stores, restaurants and entertainment venues for things like deliveries and trash service.

As for AMC, they just reduced the capacity by changing a bunch of theatres to dine in theatres. If they wanted IMAX, they'd convert one of the two big theatres, they wouldn't add anything. They have the "ETX" auditorium which is basically private label IMAX with better sound (Dolby Atmos vs. the shrill and loud IMAX sound).

Also, I don't think that service court is close to big enough to add an IMAX theatre. Look at how much real estate the large balcony auditoriums take up on an aerial photo. One of them is essentially from the wall with the big AMC sign to the white line in the roof near the circular structure. You can easily tell because the ceiling in those two is much higher than the rest of the complex (with the exception of the lobby on that side that is the same height).

mm121

Probably because the service court is necessary for the operation of the stores, restaurants and entertainment venues for things like deliveries and trash service.

As for AMC, they just reduced the capacity by changing a bunch of theatres to dine in theatres. If they wanted IMAX, they'd convert one of the two big theatres, they wouldn't add anything. They have the "ETX" auditorium which is basically private label IMAX with better sound (Dolby Atmos vs. the shrill and loud IMAX sound).

Also, I don't think that service court is close to big enough to add an IMAX theatre. Look at how much real estate the large balcony auditoriums take up on an aerial photo. One of them is essentially from the wall with the big AMC sign to the white line in the roof near the circular structure. You can easily tell because the ceiling in those two is much higher than the rest of the complex (with the exception of the lobby on that side that is the same height).

my idea wasn't to eliminate the service court, but to build on level 2 above a one level parking structure for the service court.

oh so the amc at downtown disney has a "fake max" already? didnt know that.

flyerjab

Boy, that Planet Hollywood building is looking gaudier and gaudier as everything else gets nicer. I'm glad it's also getting a redo.

I think that a lot of the West Side in general is going to appear gaudy after The Landing, Town Center and The Marketplace are all finished. There is something very 90s gaudy about how the West Side looks now. I wonder if store fronts will be altered at all on that side to mesh more with what they are doing with the rest of Disney Springs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom