West Side Parking Garage construction

flynnibus

Premium Member
You completely missed the point. Walt Disney World is no longer a place where one can look to for cutting edge and new ideas. It is not just about always having new technology in everything, but a general atmosphere and business culture looking to exceed the norm.

What he said...

The early innovations incorporated into the property and things from transportation, waste management, energy, construction methods, types of structures, etc is what i mean when referencing epcot ideas/mantra. Not the stupid parking comparison.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Actually no, you did.

No, he's correct.

You quoted the post when you replied to my post... Maybe you should try reading it again and the post it replied to.

Except it's technology that is over a decade old and not that innovative anymore. It's just not commonly used due to cost justifications.

Back in like 1980 when Disney had the touchless faucets... I thought the same exact way you described. But now Disney is just back in the pack most of the time...

The post is about innovation vs run of the mill...

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Should we have a replica of our parking space 3D printed so we do not forget where we are?

Good idea Captain Dumb Dumb. Most parking spaces look the same. So, here's a good idea from Major Smarty Pants. You get a 3D print out of the whole parking garage with your car printed out in its space. No need to print out the rest of the cars since people will be leaving and entering and such like. I really get tired of telling you people everything.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm still kind of upset that Disney toilet tissue doesn't diagnose diseases of the gastro intestinal system.

It was supposed to, according to the original plans, but it got nixed by Meg.

I have to admit that my letter writing campaign had a lot do with it since the last thing I needed was some fancy Disney toilet spewing chemicals up my GI tract and ruining my rancid flatulence, which as I have noted, is necessary for shortening line waits at all the greater Orlando area themed entertainment complexes.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
You completely missed the point. Walt Disney World is no longer a place where one can look to for cutting edge and new ideas. It is not just about always having new technology in everything, but a general atmosphere and business culture looking to exceed the norm.

This I agree with. Wouldn't investing in high end parking sensors that are not commonly used due to expense be considered exceeding the norm?

lazyboy97o

This I agree with. Wouldn't investing in high end parking sensors that are not commonly used due to expense be considered exceeding the norm?
It's been the norm for premier developments for a few years now.

A version of this technology has also been developed for bathrooms that I'm sure the ladies might appreciate in busy seasons. It signals open stalls and can even be set up to notify custodial managers if a stall is consistently going unused, a sign that it is too filthy or not working.

flyerjab

Good idea Captain Dumb Dumb. Most parking spaces look the same. So, here's a good idea from Major Smarty Pants. You get a 3D print out of the whole parking garage with your car printed out in its space. No need to print out the rest of the cars since people will be leaving and entering and such like. I really get tired of telling you people everything.

OK, Major Smarty Pants, here is an even better idea from General Discontent. I want a garage that actually brings my car to me. The garage featured in MI: Ghost Protocol is what I want. 3D holographic photos are so 1980s.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
It's been the norm for premier developments for a few years now.

A version of this technology has also been developed for bathrooms that I'm sure the ladies might appreciate in busy seasons. It signals open stalls and can even be set up to notify custodial managers if a stall is consistently going unused, a sign that it is too filthy or not working.

So, they shouldn't use the tech because a few other places do? Or, if it exists they need to develop something new? Or, we're now going to criticize because the latest in unflushed turd notifications hasn't been implemented property wide? I don't understand the criticism on this specific topic. I don't remember thinking Disney was cutting edge in everything, but I do remember thinking they worked really hard to make the guest experience nice. I give them full credit for this. Heck, trash can tech is everywhere. Disney's secret was in making sure they were used more routinely.

I should note, they were on occasion cutting edge. Those WorldKey dining reservation EPCOT kiosks kicked .

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
OK, Major Smarty Pants, here is an even better idea from General Discontent. I want a garage that actually brings my car to me. The garage featured in MI: Ghost Protocol is what I want. 3D holographic photos are so 1980s.
Robot valet parking. Just repurpose this guy
hae220128LARGE.jpg

lazyboy97o

So, they shouldn't use the tech because a few other places do? Or, if it exists they need to develop something new? Or, we're now going to criticize because the latest in unflushed turd notifications hasn't been implemented property wide? I don't understand the criticism on this specific topic. I don't remember thinking Disney was cutting edge in everything, but I do remember thinking they worked really hard to make the guest experience nice. I give them full credit for this. Heck, trash can tech is everywhere. Disney's secret was in making sure they were used more routinely.

I should note, they were on occasion cutting edge. Those WorldKey dining reservation EPCOT kiosks kicked ***.
Walt Disney World was long touted as being cutting edge and well above other places in how it shaped a user experience. It was a philosophy, not literal individual pieces everywhere. Emptying trash cans more frequently was part of that because it created a more distinct and superior experience. Disney using sensors is good, but it should be touting as some grand new idea as though Disney is leading the way. Premier shopping developments and airports have considered this technology the norm for awhile now.

As to the restroom counterpart, that is something that is quite new. It's aimed at stadium scale venues, but would still probably be appreciated and at this time distinctive. I was just mentioning it as a way others are coming up with creative applications in a way Disney was once known for doing.

peter11435

What he said...

The early innovations incorporated into the property and things from transportation, waste management, energy, construction methods, types of structures, etc is what i mean when referencing epcot ideas/mantra. Not the stupid parking comparison.
Exactly. So it has no business in this thread. Thanks for getting this thread completely off topic.

Next Big Thing

Is this really where we want Disney investing in bleeding edge technology? A parking structure at their shopping mall?
I'll give you the general statement that Disney needs to take back the cutting edge in their parks, without question, but this tech as you mention 1) works and 2) isn't used often.
It will make finding a space in their parking structure more convenient. I don't think they needed to invent a new technology here.
The didn't invent a new technology though...

Next Big Thing

What he said...

You guys do realize we're talking about a parking garage right? Of all things, you're going to nit-pick of them not being innovative enough in their parking garage?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So, they shouldn't use the tech because a few other places do? Or, if it exists they need to develop something new?

Or we could revisit the post of material here that was responded to until people derailed it...
"Not just because of its practical benefit, but also because this is the sort of thing I've long associated with WDW. Like the pneumatic trash collection system, this helps foster the idea that the resort is a laboratory of future-living experiments. Disney should always be looking to include details like these"

It was never about 'should it be there or not' - but simply what people take away from it being there. If someone were to say "zOMG, this finger print reader at Seaworld is so cool! these are unlike anything we've seen before" are we all to just ignore and jump on and say "yeah, seaworld has been leading the way!"

It's a nice addition and I'm glad they're trying to do something about parking at DTD... but a sign of the old EPCOT principles that they started the property with? Meh.. It under delivers there.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You guys do realize we're talking about a parking garage right? Of all things, you're going to nit-pick of them not being innovative enough in their parking garage?

So what about a power plant that isn't even in the guest areas?
Or a trash system that guests never see?
Or construction methods that are long gone before guests arrive?
Or wildlife management methods guests are never aware of?

Are all of these things just wastes of time and resources simply because they aren't in your face?
And again... no one was nickpicking them for not doing enough in the parking - it was about over crediting what they had done. Others derailed it because they apparently had to jump on posts they had no interest in discussing. If it's not for you.. skip it.

Next Big Thing

So what about a power plant that isn't even in the guest areas?
Or a trash system that guests never see?
Or construction methods that are long gone before guests arrive?
Or wildlife management methods guests are never aware of?

Are all of these things just wastes of time and resources simply because they aren't in your face?
And again... no one was nickpicking them for not doing enough in the parking - it was about over crediting what they had done. Others derailed it because they apparently had to jump on posts they had no interest in discussing. If it's not for you.. skip it.
I don't know what any of this matters though. We are talking about the parking garage, we aren't talking about WDW's innovative past.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom