West Side Parking Garage construction

G00fyDad

I wouldn't say Disney are the testing ground for this tech, the Westfield mall in London has them and others have posted that other locations use them. I haven't found them to work well at all when parking at Westfield, if a floor looks nearly full but I can see green lights there is usually actually cars in those spaces and the sensors didn't see them. If I remember right as well it was meant to read your number (license) plate on the system over here so you could check an app if you couldn't remeber what floor your car is on, the never got that system working right either.

I wonder, is it because the sensor get dirty?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I have to say I really like the space-sensing feature in the deck. Not just because of its practical benefit, but also because this is the sort of thing I've long associated with WDW. Like the pneumatic trash collection system, this helps foster the idea that the resort is a laboratory of future-living experiments. Disney should always be looking to include details like these. All that said, my first thought upon reading this was: will the sensors be properly maintained?

Except it's technology that is over a decade old and not that innovative anymore. It's just not commonly used due to cost justifications.

Back in like 1980 when Disney had the touchless faucets... I thought the same exact way you described. But now Disney is just back in the pack most of the time...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I was there a couple weeks ago looks like this tech isn't on the first level, is that correct? I wonder why.

Could be as simple as the higher ceilings on the first floor...

Edit: but notice the lead in board has the first floor as well, but says 'open' vs numbers. Maybe more transient parking.. but I'd still wager the different design of the first level has something to do with it

WDWtraveler

Could be as simple as the higher ceilings on the first floor...
but notice the lead in board has the first floor as well, but says 'open' vs numbers. Maybe more transient parking.. but I'd still wager the different design of the first level has something to do with it

Parts of the ground floor parking garage were closed last week for the installation of ground sensor "pucks" in the center of each parking space. These are installed now (see photo below) and will eventually register the number of spaces available on the ground floor. The sensors are marked "Fastprk." There are no overhead sensors in the first level because the ceilings are too high. I think there will be overhead electronic signs in the main driveways on the first floor indicating the number of spaces available down that row. Photo as of Friday, Jan 30.

IMG_4653.JPG

flynnibus

Premium Member
Parts of the ground floor parking garage were closed last week for the installation of ground sensor "pucks" in the center of each parking space. These are installed now (see photo below) and will eventually register the number of spaces available on the ground floor. The sensors are marked "Fastprk." There are no overhead sensors in the first level because the ceilings are too high. I think there will be overhead electronic signs in the main driveways on the first floor indicating the number of spaces available down that row. Photo as of Friday, Jan 30.

View attachment 80899

Cool, so part of the 'mystery' confirmed :) So what about the space indicators? will need a solution for those too.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

View attachment 80899

Just looking at their web site. Looks like this technology was developed to street parking...

http://www.fastprk.com/

Slowjack

Except it's technology that is over a decade old and not that innovative anymore. It's just not commonly used due to cost justifications.

Back in like 1980 when Disney had the touchless faucets... I thought the same exact way you described. But now Disney is just back in the pack most of the time...
Well, clearly everyone else but me has already encountered parking decks with this tech. :) Still, perhaps for some people this will be the first they've seen of it? I just remember how much tech I've first seen or used at WDW over the years: touch screens and video phones, to name a couple. Even prosaic things like the "speed parking" systems represent someone trying out a new idea. And I agree, I haven't felt like Disney was leading the way in a while. I suppose that MyMagic and the bands are Disney's recent major innovation, and it's just that I don't personally see a lot of value in them so I don't place them in the same category.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And I agree, I haven't felt like Disney was leading the way in a while

To me it stands out even more.. simply because when I first went back to the parks after about a 11 year break... my biggest take away was "everyone else has caught up". (the only place I felt Disney still had a wide gap on people was the water parks). Disney no longer seemed to have this light-year lead on everyone else when it came to themed entertainment and guest experience. And since then, it really hasn't felt like Disney has made any sort of break-away either. Yes they add stuff, and here and there they have standouts... but they are no longer on some pedestal by themselves.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto

Is this really where we want Disney investing in bleeding edge technology? A parking structure at their shopping mall?
I'll give you the general statement that Disney needs to take back the cutting edge in their parks, without question, but this tech as you mention 1) works and 2) isn't used often.
It will make finding a space in their parking structure more convenient. I don't think they needed to invent a new technology here.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Is this really where we want Disney investing in bleeding edge technology? A parking structure at their shopping mall?
I'll give you the general statement that Disney needs to take back the cutting edge in their parks, without question, but this tech as you mention 1) works and 2) isn't used often.
It will make finding a space in their parking structure more convenient. I don't think they needed to invent a new technology here.

Is the entire ecpot mantra that the property was built out with lost on you? Are you numb to the fact this kind of innovation across the board is what made wdw and disney so unique in the first place?

No i dont discount this as 'wouldnt it be something spent better elsewhere...' Because it shouldnt be an either or to start with.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Is the entire ecpot mantra that the property was built out with lost on you? Are you numb to the fact this kind of innovation across the board is what made wdw and disney so unique in the first place?

No i dont discount this as 'wouldnt it be something spent better elsewhere...' Because it shouldnt be an either or to start with.
Out of everything, I promise you the mission of EPCOT was not lost on me.
How much has parking structure sensor technology leapt forward in the past decade? What technology are they short changing us rubes with here by going with outdated sensors? Should we have a replica of our parking space 3D printed so we do not forget where we are?
Also, back in those ground breaking days of EPCOT, what parking technology did they leap forward with? A flat lot, just like at my local shopping mall.
Very few places, as you noted, install these sensors because of cost. So, Disney does because it will be helpful to their guests. I might be wrong, but I don't think our friends up the highway put these in their massive structure.
So Disney spends money here that they didn't have to spend. They install something they didn't need to install, and something that was not of trivial cost.
If Disney has to invent new technology for each and every piece of construction they make, then you are just never going to be happy with their product.

lazyboy97o

Out of everything, I promise you the mission of EPCOT was not lost on me.
How much has parking structure sensor technology leapt forward in the past decade? What technology are they short changing us rubes with here by going with outdated sensors? Should we have a replica of our parking space 3D printed so we do not forget where we are?
Also, back in those ground breaking days of EPCOT, what parking technology did they leap forward with? A flat lot, just like at my local shopping mall.
Very few places, as you noted, install these sensors because of cost. So, Disney does because it will be helpful to their guests. I might be wrong, but I don't think our friends up the highway put these in their massive structure.
So Disney spends money here that they didn't have to spend. They install something they didn't need to install, and something that was not of trivial cost.
If Disney has to invent new technology for each and every piece of construction they make, then you are just never going to be happy with their product.
You completely missed the point. Walt Disney World is no longer a place where one can look to for cutting edge and new ideas. It is not just about always having new technology in everything, but a general atmosphere and business culture looking to exceed the norm.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
You completely missed the point. Walt Disney World is no longer a place where one can look to for cutting edge and new ideas. It is not just about always having new technology in everything, but a general atmosphere and business culture looking to exceed the norm.
Actually no, you did.
Once again, this discussion is about a parking structure. If I feel like discussing how Disney has lost its way as a company, I know which threads to join to that discuss that.
To use them using technology to implement a convenience that happens to appear in other places as a reason to once again belabor the point that you do not enjoy the current Disney product is absurd.
I am not saying that we are supposed to be applauding the new Disney Renaissance because they installed parking sensors. They did, it's going to be convenient, many people who visit may not have seen them before, and it will make parking in the structure easier. Making this anything other than that is ridiculous.

lazyboy97o

Actually no, you did.
Once again, this discussion is about a parking structure. If I feel like discussing how Disney has lost its way as a company, I know which threads to join to that discuss that.
To use them using technology to implement a convenience that happens to appear in other places as a reason to once again belabor the point that you do not enjoy the current Disney product is absurd.
I am not saying that we are supposed to be applauding the new Disney Renaissance because they installed parking sensors. They did, it's going to be convenient, many people who visit may not have seen them before, and it will make parking in the structure easier. Making this anything other than that is ridiculous.
This was all in response to a comment claiming that Disney is on the cutting edge with these sensors.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
This was all in response to a comment claiming that Disney is on the cutting edge with these sensors.
And enough people seem to have not seen this technology before that it's new to them. The poster said they liked the tech and thought it was new and was immediately schooled on how old and behind Disney always is these days, and it's symptomatic of the company as a whole.
Disney did not invent the video conference they used at EPCOT. It was however the first time most of the population had ever seen or used it.
Not every topic needs to be a rehashing of one's personal dissatisfaction with the current management.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
And enough people seem to have not seen this technology before that it's new to them. The poster said they liked the tech and thought it was new and was immediately schooled on how old and behind Disney always is these days, and it's symptomatic of the company as a whole.
Disney did not invent the video conference they used at EPCOT. It was however the first time most of the population had ever seen or used it.
Not every topic needs to be a rehashing of one's personal dissatisfaction with the current management.
The force is strong with this young padawan.

0.jpg

flynnibus

Premium Member

The concept discussed is not about the parking lot but the ideas that steered them even when setting up rcid in the first place.

If the old company felt as you descibe.. We never would have gotten the contemporary hotel or the monorail or ideas like spaceship earth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom