Shark Reef to close at Typhoon Lagoon

The Visionary Soul

I haven't been on the forum for a little while and we are at my moms discussing our upcoming trip in Sept.

Has there been any word on if The a Shark Reef at Typhoon Lagoon is reopening after the refurb?

Sorry if it's been posted I'm using my phone and wasn't trying to do a mass search.
It's a little early to start talking about a trip in September. Let's wait and see what the park looks like after it re-opens. They just recently re-installed the signage at the entrance road to Typhoon Lagoon, so they have been making other changes as well.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
It's a little early to start talking about a trip in September. Let's wait and see what the park looks like after it re-opens. They just recently re-installed the signage at the entrance road to Typhoon Lagoon, so they have been making other changes as well.

Nah...my point was to see if anything has been announced. I just figured with a refurb that was supposed to start 2 months ago, we'd know if a popular attraction in the water park would be closed down for good or not.

71jason

As in, it's open today? right now?

It is. Also still on map, signage still up all over park.

All in all, no noticable changes ... which I think is a good thing. Still lush tropical theming, easy to forget construction is going on just a couple hundred yards away. (Note I didn't go up in the Crush & Gusher towers tho.)

Also, appears to be a tweaked menu. New (I think) Island Burger has pulled pork and a pineapple slice--shades of the old Adventureland Verandah ca. 1979. It may be my favorite QSR burger on property.

doctornick

OK, so it sounds like something was definitely in the works, but since it did not happen during the winter closure of TL, I would think it is likely that the Shark Reef will be around for another year, right? I mean, if they were going to close/replace it, it would certainly make sense to do so during the long winter closure of the park -- even if the new attraction wasn't ready in January when the park reopens, it would hopefully be completed by the busier spring break season.

Next Big Thing

OK, so it sounds like something was definitely in the works, but since it did not happen during the winter closure of TL, I would think it is likely that the Shark Reef will be around for another year, right? I mean, if they were going to close/replace it, it would certainly make sense to do so during the long winter closure of the park -- even if the new attraction wasn't ready in January when the park reopens, it would hopefully be completed by the busier spring break season.
Actually, to me, it seems like it was all overblown.

I thought it was confirmed that work on Shark Reef was necessary maintenance?

71jason

Everything I saw indicated it's not going anywhere. Park felt a bit understaffed today (no one expected record high temps) and it was still open, unlike some of the seasonal eateries. Another online Disney tempest in a teapot.

FutureWorld1982

Also, appears to be a tweaked menu. New (I think) Island Burger has pulled pork and a pineapple slice--shades of the old Adventureland Verandah ca. 1979. It may be my favorite QSR burger on property.

They added the following items that are new this year:
  • Snack Shack introduced a Cornbread Waffle Sandwich, with BBQ pork and creamy coleslaw. Also featured is the Fruit and Waffle Sandwich, which consists of a chocolate chip waffle with seasonal fruit.
  • Surf Doggies has added a Sausage Sub with peppers and onions.
  • The Chicken with Rice and Beans Bowl has become a permanent offering at Leaning Palms. A Plantain Burger was also added this year.

Donald Razorduck

Happy that it's open as I plan to use it to to see how the 12 and 11 year old kids like it to see if SeaWorld's Discovery Cove will be worth the price on the next trip. Now I'll just hope for warm weather in my early Feb trip.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Happy that it's open as I plan to use it to to see how the 12 and 11 year old kids like it to see if SeaWorld's Discovery Cove will be worth the price on the next trip. Now I'll just hope for warm weather in my early Feb trip.

Some forewarning... the TL version is COLD. Some people can't get over that and 'shut down' from that. The TL version you swim across a deep pool with most of the stuff below you. You are also basically forced to swim across and not linger much.

The Discovery Cove reef is a mix of wading areas and deep water. The water is cool, but you can be wearing a wetsuit they provide which helps alot. The reef is not a queued attraction and you can come/go as you please. The amount of fish and creatures between the two is not even comparable... it's night and day with the nod to DC. The sharks are in a walled off area in the DC reef, but they have larger sharks for you to look at.

The TL shark reef is a nice simple exposure to snorkeling.. but don't get discouraged if they don't like it a ton.. and DC's reef is an upgrade in every way possible. You literally can swim in schools of fish... watch huge rays swim along side you, or right over your feet.. etc.

Your boy's age is a good one.. as you could do DC and then do aquatica on another day for free and they'd be right in the core band of enjoying stuff. DC is slower paced... but IMO well worth it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom