• upload_2014-11-9_19-55-58.jpeg
    upload_2014-11-9_19-55-58.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 56

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Where?:D
I call WDW!:p:D
1) Streetmosphere

This sounds like such a minor thing, but it has an enveloping effect on the park. The Streetmosphere is not only more noticeable, but is higher quality at DL, and includes characters free roaming (not something you'll see at WDW anymore).

In addition, they still run the full fleet of Main Street vehicles at DL, and at DCA they have a working trolley (say wha?)...

2) Nostalgia and detail

DL has kept both, while WDW has largely washed a lot of it away as a more polished product. Main St. is the glaring example, but it's just the most obvious one. The analogy I'd use is to compare a band playing a song live vs on a record. The song may be great in both cases, but there is something more intimate and unique about the live performance. The nuances of being less polished, in many cases, make it a better and more enjoyable experience.

3) Pirates and Space Mountain

They just beat the MK versions, hands down

4) Ride DENSITY (aka bang for your buck)

At WDW there are a lot of large parks with little to do. At DL they cram it all into a very small space. This means a few things.

a) You get more out of your day
b) The parks feel far more lively, with moving objects and weenies visible all over
c) You get more for the price of admission

5) DTD

Yeah, the one at WDW is massive, and when it's done becoming Disney Springs, I'm sure will be great. However, it doesn't have the same feel as the one at DL, where you literally can leave the park, grab a bite to eat, tour World of Disney or see a movie, and then go back in and ride Small World.

The proximity and placement is something I consider a positive.

6) The Hotels

Yeah, WDW has a LOT of them, but frankly I'd put the DisneyLand hotel up against any of the WDW Deluxe resorts as the most "Disney" feeling of them all. Grand Californian is nice, but it feels like a giant Wilderness Lodge, so no points there. Paradise Pier certainly feels like the cheapest of the bunch (and it is), but is still chocked full of things to see and do.

7) The "Lost" rides

This was a point made in the video, but is not made as well as it could have been. WDW has the blessing of size. There is NO REASON why rides should be shuttered and replaced unless they are terrible. Want a Frozen ride? Fine, don't replace a ride that is currently fine. Instead, build an amazing Frozen Ride in New Fantasyland (where there is plenty of space). List goes on.

Those are just off the top of my head.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I've seen that, its great and true. I think your demeanor in it was supposed to be funny and sad, right? Or just sad?:confused: ;)

I love Epcot though. Despite what you said earlier, and I don't have the full opening day nostalgia gem, its a big contender for my favorite.
Funny and sad, yes. I was trying to act up being a hard core Disney fan and reenact some of the conversations I (and others) have had online about the park.

Sam Magic

1) Streetmosphere

This sounds like such a minor thing, but it has an enveloping effect on the park. The Streetmosphere is not only more noticeable, but is higher quality at DL, and includes characters free roaming (not something you'll see at WDW anymore).

In addition, they still run the full fleet of Main Street vehicles at DL, and at DCA they have a working trolley (say wha?)...

2) Nostalgia and detail

DL has kept both, while WDW has largely washed a lot of it away as a more polished product. Main St. is the glaring example, but it's just the most obvious one. The analogy I'd use is to compare a band playing a song live vs on a record. The song may be great in both cases, but there is something more intimate and unique about the live performance. The nuances of being less polished, in many cases, make it a better and more enjoyable experience.

3) Pirates and Space Mountain

They just beat the MK versions, hands down

4) Ride DENSITY (aka bang for your buck)

At WDW there are a lot of large parks with little to do. At DL they cram it all into a very small space. This means a few things.

a) You get more out of your day
b) The parks feel far more lively, with moving objects and weenies visible all over
c) You get more for the price of admission

5) DTD

Yeah, the one at WDW is massive, and when it's done becoming Disney Springs, I'm sure will be great. However, it doesn't have the same feel as the one at DL, where you literally can leave the park, grab a bite to eat, tour World of Disney or see a movie, and then go back in and ride Small World.

The proximity and placement is something I consider a positive.

6) The Hotels

Yeah, WDW has a LOT of them, but frankly I'd put the DisneyLand hotel up against any of the WDW Deluxe resorts as the most "Disney" feeling of them all. Grand Californian is nice, but it feels like a giant Wilderness Lodge, so no points there. Paradise Pier certainly feels like the cheapest of the bunch (and it is), but is still chocked full of things to see and do.

7) The "Lost" rides

This was a point made in the video, but is not made as well as it could have been. WDW has the blessing of size. There is NO REASON why rides should be shuttered and replaced unless they are terrible. Want a Frozen ride? Fine, don't replace a ride that is currently fine. Instead, build an amazing Frozen Ride in New Fantasyland (where there is plenty of space). List goes on.

Those are just off the top of my head.
This...just all of this...it's perfectly on spot

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Ok, two judges have noted it (rightfully so), so I'm gonna comment.

We never really sidetracked on DTD, it's just that @tcool made a ton of great and ready to use content for it.

When I was faced with the reality of having to scrap the videos (after spending 5 hours on the Fantasyland one)...I realized that what I was attempting wasn't going to work.

My team, on the other hand, had fleshed out pretty well done concepts. We had weaknesses, but the primary thing holding us down was time and IRL complications. Not necessarily focus.

But, as I've noted before, factoring in the deadline is part of the challenge in comps like this.

So, not an excuse, just an explanation.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Best song ever, put it on itunes this video instantly makes my day better.
I wrote and produced it in a single night. The idea came to me when I was driving home from a movie (don't remember which one)...and the song came on the radio.

If you look, you can see a few things.

1) The Mickey Showercurtain (that is from the kiddos bathroom, I hung it just for the video)
2) My cat, Anastasia (she passed away a few months later)
3) I have an earbud in my left ear. I recorded this without live sound, just that bud, so I could dub in the music track later. This way I could hear the music without polluting the (crappy) MS Lifecam mic that was recording my voice. That's why I miss a few queues and was a bit off pitch at time (that and I didn't really rehearse much, I was reading it off notepad where I'd jotted down the lyrics in most scenes, and that's also why I flub a few lyrics)

It's a goofy vid. I enjoyed making it.

Last edited:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Oh, and the disappearing tissue box. Early draft as I was recording scenes, I was going to devolve into a fanboy cry fest instead of a rant style...

So, I was going to have the tissues move closer and closer, until the end where I was crying and sobbing into them, and as I started to move on with recording scenes decided that it just wasn't "right", and a rant style worked better (hence the "what cha gonna do?" stance at the end.

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Before we decide this thing, I just want to throw out a HUGE thank you to everyone who has a part in this amazing four month event. :D Without this wonderful community around me, this thing would never take off. To tell the truth, I had some doubts about this season. I figured people had done it already so they would have no interest. I thought it would flop. Then I had to keep on expanding team numbers throughout the registration process. It was a beautiful sight to have people sign up for such a commitment. THANK YOU...

@BryceM
@LittleGiants16
@Sam4D23
@Matt7187
@Zweiland
@RMichael21
@Robert Butnarasu
@IDInstitute
@MA Screamin'
@ctxak98
@Wikkler
@englanddg
@Voxel
@tcool
@JokersWild
@MonorailRed
@Twilight_Roxas

The First Annual ICS Tournament is going to be awesome. Every time I interact with this community, it feels like this is our theme song...

Once again, thank you all for being friends. :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Before we decide this thing, I just want to throw out a HUGE thank you to everyone who has a part in this amazing four month event. :D Without this wonderful community around me, this thing would never take off. To tell the truth, I had some doubts about this season. I figured people had done it already so they would have no interest. I thought it would flop. Then I had to keep on expanding team numbers throughout the registration process. It was a beautiful sight to have people sign up for such a commitment. THANK YOU...

@BryceM
@LittleGiants16
@Sam4D23
@Matt7187
@Zweiland
@RMichael21
@Robert Butnarasu
@IDInstitute
@MA Screamin'
@ctxak98
@Wikkler
@englanddg
@Voxel
@tcool
@JokersWild
@MonorailRed
@Twilight_Roxas

The First Annual ICS Tournament is going to be awesome. Every time I interact with this community, it feels like this is our theme song...

Once again, thank you all for being friends. :)

You used to be able to see their House on the backlot tour at MGM (now DHS)...

Yep, the exteriors were shot there. At DHS.

DinoInstitute

Congradulations!!! Englanddg, what a worthy competitor, and great job this season! 2nd place is not easy and you earned it! However, the internet can hardly express my excitement for my longtime Land teammate Zweiland being the winner, but I'm sure gonna try!
Ej8Oyf8.gif

dancing-froot-loops-o.gif

despicable_me_gif___minion_boogie_by_c0l0ss4l_st1nk3r-d6km3ct.gif

giphy.gif

disco_minion_by_djmorex-d6hhk6z.gif
celebration-a.gif

You started the PMs in the beginning, bringing our team together, you had amazing concepts and ideas that brought us many victories, and we fought side by side in my final boardroom. This summer, I had an incredible time, and you are a great friend that will be here for a long time! You earned this win!:)

DinoInstitute

And I would also like to say one more thing!: @jdmdisney99, you gave a big thanks to us, however I would like to say thank you to you. You hosted this event. The reason I say event is because it feels like more than a competition. We made connections and friends doing what we love. I wasn't familiar with anyone here until this comp, and now I'm very close with a few of us here, particularly Team Land (and bombsquad;)) members. Incredible job on your part, very well done:).

Now, with that said, I am very excited for season 3. I know it's almost a year away, but I can't wait. This is going to be so much fun again. There are a few things that maybe could be improved or changed for next time around. As they say, don't fix what isn't broken, but here are some thoughts that could maybe improve it-
I am not quite sure Vacation Days are being the gamechanger they are intended as. They are very helpful, however their power feels abused. I didn't really feel this as much until earlier today, when one could have really come in handy. I suggest making VDs more of a power-item, such as by having PMs or something win them and award them to three teammates for each win or something, or maybe have the surviving people who leave the boardroom get them. Those could really add a new wrinkle to the game.
Speaking of wrinkles, I loved those twists such as 24 hr challenges or double-eliminations. What's great is a fair mix of those all season.
The boardroom is something I'm hesitant on, but it could definitely be fun if it was interactive with you asking questions and people talking to each other like they do on the show's. However, I kind of like this too, so I don't care.;)
Lastly, the teams. This is just another thought that crossed my mind. Are you going to keep the small teams for SA, or experiment with the big PMs now like on the show? Either one, again, sounds great!

That's all from me. Once again, thank you so much, and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be back for season 3!:D:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom