Disney Springs tenant watch

mm121

I love the Art of Shaving, I wonder if this will be a Barber Spa. If it is, I know where I'm going to get a haircut and shave next time down there.
why would you do that at DS, just seems odd, you go to DS for dinner/ hangout time, AoS seems more like just an errand place. normally you wanna shave before heading out on the town
I'm sure it is. There's at least 2 locations in Orlando that I know of already though. Mall at Millenia and The Florida Mall both have locations.
whatevser happened to the philosopy of finding UNIQUE tenants?

this pretty much throws that out the window totally if they are a chain and already have two locations in orlando
AoS has good products, but incredibly over priced. $25 for a bar of shaving soap? Really?

That said, it's a perfect fit for DS.
how is it a perfect fit when its not unique? i dont consider anything a perfect fit for DS if theres already two of them in town. but I guess everything started going down hill when starbucks moved in.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
why would you do that at DS, just seems odd, you go to DS for dinner/ hangout time, AoS seems more like just an errand place. normally you wanna shave before heading out on the town

this pretty much throws that out the window totally if they are a chain and already have two locations in orlando

how is it a perfect fit when its not unique? i dont consider anything a perfect fit for DS if theres already two of them in town. but I guess everything started going down hill when starbucks moved in.
When did they say everything would be unique to Disney Springs? That would be pretty hard to pull off. They would have to remove half of what was there already. Lego store, Rainforest Cafe, House of Blues...etc.

TomHendricks

You do know people goto DTD, sorry Disney Springs at times other then evening meal or late night carousing. There is nothing better then hitting AoS Barber Spa earlier in the day, getting the Royal Shave and Haircut. Its like being a new man.

Are you being vacuous with this statement? Just because there are two additional locations somewhat close, doesn't mean an additional location isn't warranted. How many people goto DW and never venture off into Orlando? I know I never do, so there could be a hundred AoS in Orlando but I would never know it.

You been to AoS in Orlando? How does that one look? Does it look like the one on Madison Ave in NYC, maybe similar but each one has its own style based on the location, much like Starbucks. Just admit you like to complain, you don't care what it is, you just like to complain.

mm121

When did they say everything would be unique to Disney Springs? That would be pretty hard to pull off. They would have to remove half of what was there already. Lego store, Rainforest Cafe, House of Blues...etc.
never said the things had to be COMPLETELY UNIQUE, as in original creations like the boathouse, etc.

but at minimum Unique to the Orlando/Florida region, Rainforest, blues are the only ones in orlando

AoS, isn't unique to the area at all, and if they continue expanding like they seem to intend they really wont be anything special at all. DS doesn't need a place thats as common as say a Great Clips.

You do know people goto DTD, sorry Disney Springs at times other then evening meal or late night carousing. There is nothing better then hitting AoS Barber Spa earlier in the day, getting the Royal Shave and Haircut. Its like being a new man.

true, but its not suppose to be the "just another errand MALL" its suppose to be something special.
Just because there are two additional locations somewhat close, doesn't mean an additional location isn't warranted. How many people goto DW and never venture off into Orlando? I know I never do, so there could be a hundred AoS in Orlando but I would never know it.
just because you never venture off property doesn't mean other people don't and the locals definitely do venture off property
You been to AoS in Orlando? How does that one look? Does it look like the one on Madison Ave in NYC, maybe similar but each one has its own style based on the location, much like Starbucks. Just admit you like to complain, you don't care what it is, you just like to complain.

no i dont just like to complain, but DS was suppose to be something special, and bringing in stores that are all over the place is't special at all.

Disnee4Me

There's a couple of themed-restaurants in NYC that would be a good fit ... like Mars2112 and Jeckyl & Hydes. The kids would love these two places. I'm not sure they exist anywhere outside the Big Apple.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There's a couple of themed-restaurants in NYC that would be a good fit ... like Mars2112 and Jeckyl & Hydes. The kids would love these two places. I'm not sure they exist anywhere outside the Big Apple.
I believe there are some issues between Disney and Jeckyl and Hydes from years ago relating to the Adventures Club.

TomHendricks

never said the things had to be COMPLETELY UNIQUE, as in original creations like the boathouse, etc.

but at minimum Unique to the Orlando/Florida region, Rainforest, blues are the only ones in orlando

AoS, isn't unique to the area at all, and if they continue expanding like they seem to intend they really wont be anything special at all. DS doesn't need a place thats as common as say a Great Clips.

true, but its not suppose to be the "just another errand MALL" its suppose to be something special.

just because you never venture off property doesn't mean other people don't and the locals definitely do venture off property

no i dont just like to complain, but DS was suppose to be something special, and bringing in stores that are all over the place is't special at all.

You keep harping on this "Something Special" like Disney is suppose to have rainbows coming out of its or something. By keep saying "Something Special" it is just you harping, screaming into the rain. Because no matter what they put there, you won't be happy. There are restaurants at the mall, there are clothing stores at the mall, damn there is a Subway just down the road, why aren't you picketing outside Earl of Sandwich. Oh that right, its "Special." Just like you!

CDavid

You keep harping on this "Something Special" like Disney is suppose to have rainbows coming out of its *** or something. By keep saying "Something Special" it is just you harping, screaming into the rain. Because no matter what they put there, you won't be happy. There are restaurants at the mall, there are clothing stores at the mall, **** there is a Subway just down the road, why aren't you picketing outside Earl of Sandwich. Oh that right, its "Special." Just like you!

Not to speak for @mm121 , but "something special" refers to what Walt Disney World once was. Why should we be willing to settle for mediocrity from a company which was once known for innovation and which built its reputation on creating experiences which you couldn't find anywhere else? Sure, it's "just a shopping complex", but has always been a shopping complex from the days of the Walt Disney World Village; The difference is that it was once populated by shops and restaurants owned and operated by Disney itself, not just whatever tenants are willing to pay the exorbitant rents.

Guests don't travel many hours and spend thousands of dollars to receive a lackluster experience they could get a dozen other places. They come to Disney for Disney (although I hasten to point out that doesn't mean all characters and IP, all the time), and expect previously established and maintained Disney standards of theme, quality, and general presentation. Guests are further paying premium prices for this experience; It is a completely valid, legitimate complaint when Disney fails to uphold its own standards and instead delivers a mediocre effort, or in this case, a product which is (similarly) duplicated many other places.

That said, the redo of Downtown Disney does certainly appear to be well designed and attractively presented. Far from a failure or disappointment, the complex will be quite successful and certainly a pleasant addition to Walt Disney World. Still, you have similar such developments across the country; This one will not stand 'head & shoulders' above other shopping & dining complexes like the Walt Disney World theme parks stand above a typical amusement park. What we are getting is very nice and well done, it just isn't anything truly special.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Not everyone visiting Disney Springs will be from Orlando or Florida or even from the United States. It's possible some visitors will have never been to an Art of Shaving location. There is one about 20 minutes from my house and it's not my cup of tea anyway, but to each their own. It will be very easy for me to skip that store and still enjoy visiting other locations. My point is that even if half or 2/3 of the locations are generic, not original or just don't interest me that still leaves plenty of things for me to see and do. I know I won't visit all 150 retail locations anyway. Way too much shopping for my taste.

I get where you are coming from and I think a lot of people feared the place becoming a generic outlet mall, but so far based on the limited tenants announced almost everything with the exception of Art of Shaving is unique at Disney Springs. Tenants confirmed or strongly rumored so far:
  1. Boathouse - unique
  2. The Hangar - unique
  3. Morimoto Asia - unique
  4. The Edison - unique to Florida
  5. STK - unique to Florida
  6. Set the bar (kiosk) - no clue who actually owns this, likely unique
  7. Sublime (kiosk) - no clue who actually owns this, likely unique
  8. Baby Cakes - there are some other locations on property that sell their food, but not a dedicated store. Not found anywhere but WDW in Florida
  9. Sanuk (shoes and sandals) - I'm pretty sure there are other places in Florida where you can buy Sanuk shoes. Not sure if there are other dedicated stores.
  10. Art of Shaving - not unique, a chain.
9 out of 10 things announced are unique or somewhat unique locations. That's a 90% pace so far. I would expect the pace of non-unique "chain type" retailers would increase as they fill out the rest of the 75 new retail locations because it's unlikely they could find 65 more unique stores that don't exist in Florida. Things like an Apple Store or some of the popular clothing designer stores are likely going to be added. That's OK in my opinion. Some people will be happy it's there.

I'm more interested in the atmosphere, the vibe of the place and the food and drinking places. So far the restaurant lineup seems ambitious but looks really promising. If the rest of DS turns out to be on par with what we have seen so far I'll be pretty impressed and it will be a huge upgrade.

mm121

You keep harping on this "Something Special" like Disney is suppose to have rainbows coming out of its *** or something. By keep saying "Something Special" it is just you harping, screaming into the rain. Because no matter what they put there, you won't be happy. There are restaurants at the mall, there are clothing stores at the mall, **** there is a Subway just down the road, why aren't you picketing outside Earl of Sandwich. Oh that right, its "Special." Just like you!

Personal attacks are un called for on this board. @TomHendricks you are one of the most hostile people here.

The basic point of everything I was saying is that if they 've already started dumbing things down with what is basically the first new retail announcement. It is setting the bar low as far as the retail mix we have to look forward to for the remainder of DS.

As @CDavid said, in the past most of the retail establishments were completely unique one of a kind creations.

Part of my objection to AoS isn't necessarily it being there, put partly its location, as the Chains belong more in the "Town Center" aka Typical Everyday Shopping Center section, vs the announced location of being in "The Landing" aka "the its suppose to be something unique zone" which thus far the new additions have all been original creations. If stuck to this theory then people who wish to maintain the vacation illusion can simply skip that section.

I went to Mars2112 once during the short period one was opened in IL, It was definitely a different sort of place, but I dont really recall the food being anything special.

But overall accross the country I'm sure theres other restaurant concepts that only currently exist in one location, which could be a good fit for DS, and one or two locations nationwide is far from being a Chain like AoS with 3 in the same city.

Getting away from chains was supposidly part of the reason why McDonalds was kicked out of DD, then now they are going the opposite direction motivating chains to move in.

Bolt

Personal attacks are un called for on this board. @TomHendricks you are one of the most hostile people here.

The basic point of everything I was saying is that if they 've already started dumbing things down with what is basically the first new retail announcement. It is setting the bar low as far as the retail mix we have to look forward to for the remainder of DS.

As @CDavid said, in the past most of the retail establishments were completely unique one of a kind creations.

Part of my objection to AoS isn't necessarily it being there, put partly its location, as the Chains belong more in the "Town Center" aka Typical Everyday Shopping Center section, vs the announced location of being in "The Landing" aka "the its suppose to be something unique zone" which thus far the new additions have all been original creations. If stuck to this theory then people who wish to maintain the vacation illusion can simply skip that section.

I went to Mars2112 once during the short period one was opened in IL, It was definitely a different sort of place, but I dont really recall the food being anything special.

But overall accross the country I'm sure theres other restaurant concepts that only currently exist in one location, which could be a good fit for DS, and one or two locations nationwide is far from being a Chain like AoS with 3 in the same city.

Getting away from chains was supposidly part of the reason why McDonalds was kicked out of DD, then now they are going the opposite direction motivating chains to move in.
So excited they are opening an Art of Shaving!

And McDonald's leaving wasn't about chains (they opened a Starbucks 50 feet away). It was more of a financial issue (they were getting a lot of business) as well as healthy initiatives campaign started around the same time.

CDavid

Because when I vacation, I don't go to local malls.

But taking that reasoning to an extreme, a Target or Super Wal-Mart would also make exciting additions to Disney Springs. That way, guests would not need to venture out to 'local shopping malls' to obtain things they need while on vacation (apparently, there are a decent number of people who do).

The question we should be asking is whether Art of Shaving contributes an innovative or unique element to Disney Springs. Art of Shaving could have a place, much like Earl of Sandwich which now has other locations, but chains should ordinarily be avoided (I could happily do without Starbucks; They can't make a decent cup of coffee anyway). Disney Springs is a generally well done development, and since Disney insists on using tenants rather than make the effort themselves, they absolutely must be quite selective in who they rent to.

Bolt

But taking that reasoning to an extreme, a Target or Super Wal-Mart would also make exciting additions to Disney Springs. That way, guests would not need to venture out to 'local shopping malls' to obtain things they need while on vacation (apparently, there are a decent number of people who do).

The question we should be asking is whether Art of Shaving contributes an innovative or unique element to Disney Springs. Art of Shaving could have a place, much like Earl of Sandwich which now has other locations, but chains should ordinarily be avoided (I could happily do without Starbucks; They can't make a decent cup of coffee anyway). Disney Springs is a generally well done development, and since Disney insists on using tenants rather than make the effort themselves, they absolutely must be quite selective in who they rent to.
Yay - bring on Target!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom