7DMT is currently on fire (11/1/14)

PhotoDave219

As long as its reported correctly and not falsified in anyway I don't have a problem with it being on national news. It is something different that doesn't happen everyday unlike you're typical murder or mass shooting that (sadly) doesn't even phase me anymore.

By saying "pattern" you're saying this happens often? Besides the Mermaid incident, how many times had this happened?

That's a fantastic question.

We really don't know. Twice that we know of in identical conditions.

note2001

As long as its reported correctly and not falsified in anyway I don't have a problem with it being on national news. It is something different that doesn't happen everyday unlike you're typical murder or mass shooting that (sadly) doesn't even phase me anymore.

Agreed. It happened in a popular location that most of the modern world knows about, on the newest attraction. This news is a welcome change to the "who did what to whom" reports that plague the news. Even better, this had the positive outcome of no one being injured.

I believe the reason behind this story going national, however, was driven by the social media itself and all the outlandish stories being told. Social media had the news going worldwide almost instantaneously. NBC wanted the real story to get out there, and get the credit for doing it right.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
But all that said, Disneyland cancels fireworks several times per year for wind conditions, oftentimes in mid-show, to prevent things like this happening, even if it means disappointed customers.

It appears it's time for Magic Kingdom management to make safety more of a priority and rethink their fireworks strategy and cancellation procedures. Maybe place a call to Disneyland managers on Monday morning and ask them how they do it in Anaheim?

It's apples and oranges. WDW has operated for decades with this.. what has changed is what they've put into the fallout zone vs the types of structures they've had there for so long.

flynnibus

Premium Member
By saying "pattern" you're saying this happens often? Besides the Mermaid incident, how many times had this happened?

Small fires that need attention are not that uncommon... including brush fires outside the park itself. But fires that require fire trucks deployed in the park itself... not that common.

To me, what is of concern is what is in the fallout zone, and if the current rules, show, and structures are all current to each other. Or were these situations due to something outside the normal parameters... a misfire, the fireworks themselves, or decisions made outside the policies.

WDWFantasmicFan

Small fires that need attention are not that uncommon... including brush fires outside the park itself. But fires that require fire trucks deployed in the park itself... not that common.

To me, what is of concern is what is in the fallout zone, and if the current rules, show, and structures are all current to each other. Or were these situations due to something outside the normal parameters... a misfire, the fireworks themselves, or decisions made outside the policies.
It has been reported by some sources that it may have been a misfire, although I am led to believe that it was a ember that happened to fall onto the attraction. I am sure we will hear more, but I think it is amazing how well Disney CM's dealt with the incident, and that the attraction opened later in the evening...

PhotoDave219

It has been reported by some sources that it may have been a misfire, although I am led to believe that it was a ember that happened to fall onto the attraction. I am sure we will hear more, but I think it is amazing how well Disney CM's dealt with the incident, and that the attraction opened later in the evening...

I had someone reach out and also say that it was an ember, not a misfired shell.

Do you know anything about the materials on the mountain? Its not real grass, right?

WDWFantasmicFan

I had someone reach out and also say that it was an ember, not a misfired shell.

Do you know anything about the materials on the mountain? Its not real grass, right?
Yes - That is what I am reporting at the moment. It was also reasonably windy last night (not enough to cancel Wishes though) so ember could have been blown.

It is plastic/fake grass. From what I understand it was only cosmetic damage such as trees, bushes and grass.

PhotoDave219

Yes - That is what I am reporting at the moment. It was also reasonably windy last night (not enough to cancel Wishes though) so ember could have been blown.

It is plastic/fake grass. From what I understand it was only cosmetic damage such as trees, bushes and grass.

I know, I walked out of the Amway center around that time. What is the wind threshold? Because it seems it between 20 and 30 miles an hour on my way back to my car…

Now there are no sprinklers up there, right? Seems kind of odd to me that you would have all this flammable material on a rooftop that is in a fireworks fall out area yet not have any sprinklers…

Keep in mind, I'm not pointing a finger at the fireworks crew or any of the entertainment technicians. I am pointing A finger At management and their lack of accountability.

WDWFantasmicFan

I know, I walked out of the Amway center around that time. What is the wind threshold? Because it seems it between 20 and 30 miles an hour on my way back to my car…

Now there are no sprinklers up there, right? Seems kind of odd to me that you would have all this flammable material on a rooftop that is in a fireworks fall out area yet not have any sprinklers…

Keep in mind, I'm not pointing a finger at the fireworks crew or any of the entertainment technicians. I am pointing A finger At management and their lack of accountability.
Don't know what the wind threshold is - will try to find out.

No sprinklers as it was on outside of mountain. Yes - exactly - who is to blame? Or is it just 'one of those things'? I'm sure disney will release more info soon...

Phil12

This is a strange one.

Wind conditions are monitored in real time, with all and any in park launchers able to be disabled as and when needed. I've seen the show run in less windy conditions with all in park effects scrubbed. Which could mean either something didn't stop when it should have or something happened that hasn't been accounted for. Although you would have thought they would have used fire resistant materials in the first place. Obviously a preshow sprinkle system can't cover the whole building area including guest ride path, and a deluge system would require the ride area empty before each show, which asks the questions was the ride built in the wrong place if you can't protect it, should it have been built out of different materials, or how far do you go to protect it?

More to the point, how did this happen in an area surrounded by guests? What if it landed 30ft either way? I'm hoping this won't be another excuse to try and reduce pyro in the park, something that has been tried before by using the very same excuse (I'm looking at you Phil)
They need to eliminate pyro. But just like moving the BAH these things take time.

WDWFantasmicFan

Just looked about wind threshold - its between 10mph and 15mph, although wind direction also plays a part.

PhotoDave219

Don't know what the wind threshold is - will try to find out.

No sprinklers as it was on outside of mountain. Yes - exactly - who is to blame? Or is it just 'one of those things'? I'm sure disney will release more info soon...

Clearly not just "one" of those things as this was the second time in the past year.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
i have this image in my head ever since reading about this...

1801199970_1808959117.gif
Heres he image in my head,... poor Dopey.

dopeyonfire.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom