Updated Flight Ban over WDW Property

Dwarful

Yeah and what would you guys think if it said "Allah loves u"?

Exactly. There would be riots. Don't think for a second people wouldn't complain and deem it offensive.

unfortunately everything these days seems to cause riots. personally I am not about to waste my vacation dollars worrying about any agenda while I am on vacation. I have to deal with a specific agenda every single day just to get to and from work this year. Riots don't help ANY cause....at least not the ones I have been dealing with. :(

Zac Skellington

If your concern is over my smoking, then no worries, I don't.
If your concern is over my saying of being "offensive", I wouldn't worry about that either. I'm generally pretty quiet around strangers, exception being online forums. ;)
LOOKOUT!!! Never mind, you're safe. A joke just went right over your head...:)

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
This thread started out okay enough. Oh well....

Glad to see some areas enjoy a ban of loud, real world intrusion.

*1023*

Last edited:

Fleis76

Maybe I'm a little late to this party, but how did a thread discussing flight restrictions over the parks turn into a debate about religious tolerance?

AEfx

Only if you went around all day staring up instead of straight ahead like most people, and maybe were looking for something to find offensive.

I'd work harder on that routine before going up for Open Mic night. ;)

Surely you know that's not even a rational statement, because, I mean, you must understand that there is this thing called a horizon, and that the writing is only "up" if you are directly standing under it, right? (In which case it's very likely you couldn't actually read it, anyway.)

Not to mention the irony if your statement was true - I almost wish it was - because if no one really did see it then it wouldn't be there to begin with - your statement contradicts the reality that when someone sky writes something, it is meant to be seen.

Now I admit, that's a bit of flip at your flippant post, LOL, but one can have this conversation and just discuss the facts and not bring in the types of emotions that get folks in trouble. You can also discuss it without using the "R" word at all, because what is actually going on here mostly applies to any type of organization.

For starters, It doesn't matter what the content of the message - yes, many folks find it annoying to be trying to take a picture of World Showcase or SSE or any of the WDW locations that are among the most popular places on Earth to take photographs of which include the sky behind it who would rather it not be in their pictures.

That's not something to discount, because even for some folks who do not take offense but simply don't think it's necessary and would rather it not be there so they do not have to shoot around a non-Disney authorized advertisement that is literally written in the sky (I dare say, the amount of folks in that category are likely the most common - it's called "time and place").

I know there are even folks that completely, vehemently object to the sky writing because they actually think that message is extremely personal, private, and something they have a great deal of belief in, and do not think that message should be expressed in such a crass way as sky writing over a theme park.

We know who does it, and they do it simply to get negative attention for WDW - it's actually intended as an anti-consumer message, as WDW is one of the most consumer of all destinations. Which just makes it even more of a useless act, because most folks don't get the intention behind it - so the guy doing it is truly wasting his money because at most it's giving folks a nice little affirmation, and not the indictment of where their vacation spending dollars are going that it's actually intended to be.

It's not there for the locals, or just because some kindly old southern gent is just trying to share his idea of joy, it's there directed at chastising folks giving their money to the Disney Corporation. It's activism against Disney, meant to say that folks who are at WDW spending money with Disney are in need of that message, that if they are there they must not know it. I'm sure all are aware of the continuous boycotts against Disney by organizations inspired by the same messaging. This is among them.

Think about it - no one is spending that kind of money just to make the percentage of folks who respond to the message positively smile for a moment. I mean, we are talking thousands and thousands of dollars a month - I wouldn't be surprised, depending on how many runs, for it to run into five figures monthly. It's trying to make a point, that if you can see the message - then you must not know that message. Expensive, about as large as could be possible advertising like that is not paid for just to affirm what is already affirmed.

Now, activism is perfectly fine, and what he does is legal. But it is what it is - most folks may not understand why it's there and not get that from it. Nonetheless - in spite of that misunderstanding about why it's being shown to you, I honestly think the majority of folks honestly are just kind of "eh, unnecessary" - again, because you either are already receptive to the message, or you aren't.

This isn't going isn't to change how anyone feels - and whichever side you fall upon, those thoughts are among the most personal so it's hardly necessary and and again some would even say crass to write across the sky when everyone is just trying to enjoy their vacations. It's ineffective at both it's intent, and because all it does is make folks who already like that message to continue to like it a tiny bit more, and is going to make folks who don't like it still not like it just a tiny bit more. All told, Net Gain: 0. That's a lot of resources for nothing.

It simply is meant to be divisive - as well as derisive of those who take a WDW vacation, and therefore derisive of folks that subscribe to that message and feel that is compatible with patronizing the Walt Disney Company.

Personally, it doesn't upset me - just saddens me to a certain extent. First, I do just shake my head and chuckle at how terrible a job he does at it and that he gets no better, and that no one gets what he's trying to actually say anyway.

Then I feel sad because someone devotes their life and fortune to a futile effort, especially in Florida - particularly the Central Florida/Orlando area - which ranks #10 in the entire country in food hardship, and 1 out of 4 kids in the Orlando area is at risk for going to bed hungry every night.

No joke, with the amount that the entire venture likely costs - keeping a plane is very expensive, the likely couple of grand worth of fuel each trip is just the tip of the iceberg - a huge dent could be made feeding those hungry kids if the money was used for a faith-based initiative versus an ineffective at best advertisement.

The guy can do whatever he wants, just as I am free to feel it's an awful waste of resources that could be used elsewhere to really say that message, instead of just giving it "lip service", or in this case, "sky service".

HakunaMatata89

I don't think many peoples pictures at WDW are getting photobombed by the sky writing but i could be wrong. In anycase, if it bothers you that much, if you hear a plane above in WDW just assume they are smoke writing and don't look up.

As for the OP, all they did was add in verbage for drones so not much news.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I would like a sky writer to do this one over EPCOT.

FSM.gif

I'll help pay for it.
Others need to be touched by his noodly appendage.

I'd work harder on that routine before going up for Open Mic night. ;)

Surely you know that's not even a rational statement, because, I mean, you must understand that there is this thing called a horizon, and that the writing is only "up" if you are directly standing under it, right? (In which case it's very likely you couldn't actually read it, anyway.)

Not to mention the irony if your statement was true - I almost wish it was - because if no one really did see it then it wouldn't be there to begin with - your statement contradicts the reality that when someone sky writes something, it is meant to be seen.

Now I admit, that's a bit of flip at your flippant post, LOL, but one can have this conversation and just discuss the facts and not bring in the types of emotions that get folks in trouble. You can also discuss it without using the "R" word at all, because what is actually going on here mostly applies to any type of organization.

For starters, It doesn't matter what the content of the message - yes, many folks find it annoying to be trying to take a picture of World Showcase or SSE or any of the WDW locations that are among the most popular places on Earth to take photographs of which include the sky behind it who would rather it not be in their pictures.

That's not something to discount, because even for some folks who do not take offense but simply don't think it's necessary and would rather it not be there so they do not have to shoot around a non-Disney authorized advertisement that is literally written in the sky (I dare say, the amount of folks in that category are likely the most common - it's called "time and place").

I know there are even folks that completely, vehemently object to the sky writing because they actually think that message is extremely personal, private, and something they have a great deal of belief in, and do not think that message should be expressed in such a crass way as sky writing over a theme park.

We know who does it, and they do it simply to get negative attention for WDW - it's actually intended as an anti-consumer message, as WDW is one of the most consumer of all destinations. Which just makes it even more of a useless act, because most folks don't get the intention behind it - so the guy doing it is truly wasting his money because at most it's giving folks a nice little affirmation, and not the indictment of where their vacation spending dollars are going that it's actually intended to be.

It's not there for the locals, or just because some kindly old southern gent is just trying to share his idea of joy, it's there directed at chastising folks giving their money to the Disney Corporation. It's activism against Disney, meant to say that folks who are at WDW spending money with Disney are in need of that message, that if they are there they must not know it. I'm sure all are aware of the continuous boycotts against Disney by organizations inspired by the same messaging. This is among them.

Think about it - no one is spending that kind of money just to make the percentage of folks who respond to the message positively smile for a moment. I mean, we are talking thousands and thousands of dollars a month - I wouldn't be surprised, depending on how many runs, for it to run into five figures monthly. It's trying to make a point, that if you can see the message - then you must not know that message. Expensive, about as large as could be possible advertising like that is not paid for just to affirm what is already affirmed.

Now, activism is perfectly fine, and what he does is legal. But it is what it is - most folks may not understand why it's there and not get that from it. Nonetheless - in spite of that misunderstanding about why it's being shown to you, I honestly think the majority of folks honestly are just kind of "eh, unnecessary" - again, because you either are already receptive to the message, or you aren't.

This isn't going isn't to change how anyone feels - and whichever side you fall upon, those thoughts are among the most personal so it's hardly necessary and and again some would even say crass to write across the sky when everyone is just trying to enjoy their vacations. It's ineffective at both it's intent, and because all it does is make folks who already like that message to continue to like it a tiny bit more, and is going to make folks who don't like it still not like it just a tiny bit more. All told, Net Gain: 0. That's a lot of resources for nothing.

It simply is meant to be divisive - as well as derisive of those who take a WDW vacation, and therefore derisive of folks that subscribe to that message and feel that is compatible with patronizing the Walt Disney Company.

Personally, it doesn't upset me - just saddens me to a certain extent. First, I do just shake my head and chuckle at how terrible a job he does at it and that he gets no better, and that no one gets what he's trying to actually say anyway.

Then I feel sad because someone devotes their life and fortune to a futile effort, especially in Florida - particularly the Central Florida/Orlando area - which ranks #10 in the entire country in food hardship, and 1 out of 4 kids in the Orlando area is at risk for going to bed hungry every night.

No joke, with the amount that the entire venture likely costs - keeping a plane is very expensive, the likely couple of grand worth of fuel each trip is just the tip of the iceberg - a huge dent could be made feeding those hungry kids if the money was used for a faith-based initiative versus an ineffective at best advertisement.

The guy can do whatever he wants, just as I am free to feel it's an awful waste of resources that could be used elsewhere to really say that message, instead of just giving it "lip service", or in this case, "sky service".

Great post - I've often wondered why the writing was there, as it seems like a terrible waste of money if they think they're going to convert people by writing in the sky. Makes much more sense that they think all of us in Disney are lacking morals and need Jesus. Wasting money to shame others for wasting money... reaffirms how I feel about that organization.

CDavid

Agreed (and in fact I agree with much of your post), but there is a difference between being annoyed that a skywriting message is in the background of your view (or pictures) and actually finding an innocuous message offensive just because you personally disagree with the viewpoint.

Great post - I've often wondered why the writing was there, as it seems like a terrible waste of money if they think they're going to convert people by writing in the sky. Makes much more sense that they think all of us in Disney are lacking morals and need Jesus. Wasting money to shame others for wasting money... reaffirms how I feel about that organization.

The skywriting messages are not necessarily as ineffective as you may think, whether it be a message of faith or a commercial advertisement; If they were, no business would ever pay to put their company name up in the sky, but they do (and if the messages didn't get noticed and have an impact, we wouldn't be having this discussion). Doubtful many people would instantly decide to "Shop at Mall of Millenia" or "Visit Sea World" (made up examples) having seen a single ad in the sky, but combined with all the brochures and billboards they get their message out. Nobody performing sky writing, wearing a slogan T-shirt, or with a car bumper sticker expects people to get converted to their particular cause based solely on that one little message or symbol, but again, you are getting the message out.

Without delving too far into the topic, while humanitarian causes (feed the hungry, cloth the poor, etc.) are important and most churches and individuals can and should do more for the needy, that is neither the church's nor its members primary mission.

To attempt an analogy, there is a large building on fire with hundreds of people trapped inside who don't even know the building is burning and they are about to be consumed. Down the street, there is a homeless shelter with many children who haven't had a bite of food for two days. Somebody needs to see that those kids are fed, without a doubt, but shouldn't the first priority be to save people from the fire?

draybook

I find it ironic how some of you guys talk about how many hungry kids could be fed by the financier of the sky writing and yet make no mention of the big wigs at Disney grabbing cash hand over fist while the CMs try to live off of scab wages. Don't you think TDO leadership could make just as big of a dent in that hunger as the sky writing folks could?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom