The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Someone posted a video to the opening day TV special for Captain EO in another thread and it got me thinking more about the way Disney used to market things and how much better Eisner was at this than Iger.

Would Eisner have let "the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history" launch with just a 10 minute castle stage show? No, he'd have a gala TV premiere on ABC's prime time with all kinds of celebrities hyping the thing. He wouldn't leave that job to blogger videos on youtube and morning talk show snippets. Instead, it'd be an hour-long TV "event" dedicated entirely to the project. He'd show behind-the-scenes clips to have you appreciate it more. He himself, would be shown on the rides with people like Jodi Benson talking about how the Mermaid ride furthers the "Disney legacy" of the film, and walk off with a cup of the tavern's brew in his hand. Would it all be fluff? Sure, but it would be slickly produced in such a way as to make you pick up the phone and call Disney reservations before the 60 minute mark.

Think about the premiers for movies like Pocahontas, Hunchback and Hercules. Now think about what was done for Princess and the Frog and Tangled. What does that say about his attitude to the product?

Remember whe even simple things like home video re-issues where hyped as best as they could? Contrast Sleeping Beauty's 1997 release with the one from this year. Did you even know it's out on Blu-ray again?

In comparison, Iger seems to have no sense of pride of show. It didn't matter how lackluster the product truly was, Eisner would promote it to the best of the company's ability, even putting himself on camera to sell it.

Will Shanghai Disney (a brand new Disney resort) even get a TV special on par with MGM Studio's opening?

Exactly Right, Eisner was the perfect embodiment of the CEO as Head Salesman for the company, Jobs at Apple, Chambers at (pre-2008) Cisco, Bill Ford at Ford and of course Walt Disney himself are all examples of this.

They are EXCITED about their product and want to share it with you and this attitude goes up and down the company.

Iger is a functionary he does not CARE about the company only the NUMBERS it produces and eventually the company will stop producing those NUMBERS and he will slither off and count his riches.

PhotoDave219

If Iger did this he could have gone back to his roots and started every episode with a weather report. "And the weather for Walt Disney World this week will be doomy and gloomy!"

Wouldnt go that far.

We're weathering a storm right now. But there is hope of the horizon. Stuff is coming. I mean, as much as we dont like Avatar, its coming along with all the nighttime stuff at DAK.

Disney Springs is plugging along and once they get that darn garage open (someone really screwed up with killing parking for a year!) the situation will begin to stabilize itself. The theme is looking nice sofar.

We've got a 3rd theatre coming to Soarin! and maybe a new film. Theyre doing something in Norway... granted we dont like it, but its something.

And the Studios is on the cusp of a lot of things about to happen, too numerous to mention. (Also in Flux at the moment).

So there's a lot of redevelopment happening.... just not 100% what we would have done if we had the $.

Disneyhead'71

Wouldnt go that far.

We're weathering a storm right now. But there is hope of the horizon. Stuff is coming. I mean, as much as we dont like Avatar, its coming along with all the nighttime stuff at DAK.

Disney Springs is plugging along and once they get that darn garage open (someone really screwed up with killing parking for a year!) the situation will begin to stabilize itself. The theme is looking nice sofar.

We've got a 3rd theatre coming to Soarin! and maybe a new film. Theyre doing something in Norway... granted we dont like it, but its something.

And the Studios is on the cusp of a lot of things about to happen, too numerous to mention. (Also in Flux at the moment).

So there's a lot of redevelopment happening.... just not 100% what we would have done if we had the $.
Hopefully the new stuff will be interesting enough to make me forget the arrogance of TDO for the past decade.

gmajew

Premium Member
Wouldnt go that far.

Wow a positive tone I am impressed!

Nemo14

Wouldnt go that far.

Somebody got up on the sunny side of the bed this morning!

cheezbat

Wouldnt go that far.

So basically WDW will be worth visiting again in five years. (I hope)

JediMasterMatt

Five years may be pushing it at this point. All these projects are being done by the same people doing the 2 year to move some earth around Hub refurb.

It all depends on the funding.

The amazing thing is that this is still the same company that built Splash Mountain in less than 2 years. Where there is a will there is a way and current management has none.

BrerJon

I get the feeling there are quite a few people who are using the current state of things as an excuse to break the habit of going to WDW every year and are planning a few 'years off', where instead of WDW they'll try different vacation destinations, or if they're sticking to a Disney fix, they're switching to California, cruises or overseas parks for a few years until TDO gets its house in order.

Last edited:

gonnichi

I get the feeling there are quite a few people who are using the current state of things as en excuse to break the habit of going to WDW every year and are planning a few 'years off', where instead of WDW they'll try different vacation destinations, or if they're sticking to a Disney fix, they're switching to California, cruises or overseas parks for a few years until TDO gets its house in order.

Hey that's me exactly. I'm going to Disneyland for the first time this coming weekend. Im so excited!!! I have never gone to DLR before and this is the first year I have not gone to WDW in over 10 years. I'm only going to Disneyland this year and DCA next year hopefully. There is so much more to do in California that I can only spare one day for Disney. I usually spend a whole week at WDW with one or two days for Universal.

kels650

Wouldnt go that far.

I think you have some very valid points. Whether any of us would have done things differently or not there are some changes coming, and even if they do not sound largely appealing at this time, maybe they will turn out to be well done!
I suppose the biggest example I could think of is Frozen. I was never a huge fan of Maelstrom, but, I can certainly understand the point of those that were. There is a chance that it could be done tastefully - or, at least have it be entertaining. I'll try to keep positive about these changes because, at the very least, they are changes.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I get the feeling there are quite a few people who are using the current state of things as en excuse to break the habit of going to WDW every year and are planning a few 'years off', where instead of WDW they'll try different vacation destinations, or if they're sticking to a Disney fix, they're switching to California, cruises or overseas parks for a few years until TDO gets its house in order.

And that's a BAD trend when your BEST customers stop buying it's only a matter of time before that moves down the chain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom