The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Ya know, Good ole Lou can never win with you guys.

Normally he talks up the brand and tries to "keep things positive". The second he goes and says something controversial, potentially negative against Disney, you guys still find a reason to hate on it.

Lou was speaking nothing but the truth. He does control a lot of Disney's marketing message. He's pretty much the highest profile blogger out there and if he starts turning that positivity into slightly more realistic based reporting, which would mean reporting the positive AND the negative, Disney all of a sudden has an unexpected problem in their marketing.

I am pretty ambivalent about Lou. When reading the direct quote within the context of the article's message, I can refrain from guessing his motives. Your analysis of what a more balanced community of social media advocates could mean for Disney in Florida could be spot on. The Disneyland social media community and the real media partners in California can really wag the dog from time to time.

*1023*

Next Big Thing

I find it interesting how Lou's ego seems to be going skyhigh lately.
I mean.. he's being interviewed from things he doesn't seem to have a clue (like the Paris case)
he just seems to be a hardcore fan who became a podcaster. No idea why newssources think he's some sort of almighty expert.
The article was about theme park websites in general, not Lou being an "almighty expert". Brigante was quoted as well.

zweltar

Normally he talks up the brand and tries to "keep things positive". The second he goes and says something controversial, potentially negative against Disney, you guys still find a reason to hate on it.

Lou was speaking nothing but the truth. He does control a lot of Disney's marketing message. He's pretty much the highest profile blogger out there and if he starts turning that positivity into slightly more realistic based reporting, which would mean reporting the positive AND the negative, Disney all of a sudden has an unexpected problem in their marketing.
I'm not sure that people are so much hating on Lou for his words... They just seem out of character and slightly antagonistic (even if he speaks the truth) when one considers all of the privilege he (allegedly) enjoys at Disney. I personally do not know him, so I can neither confirm or deny the level of privilege he enjoys at Disney, but rumor has it that it's pretty significant.

PhotoDave219

Do you live in West Africa? No? Then no need to freak out about it right now.

No, I live in a different part of Orlando. Not Pinehills.

And I'm not freaked out nor my concerned about it. I have a strict no touching policy when it comes to people.

I'm simply concerned that the irrational fear in his stare at being generated by this will affect the tourism segments of the economy meaning Orlando.

PhotoDave219

I am pretty ambivalent about Lou. When reading the direct quote within the context of the article's message, I can refrain from guessing his motives. Your analysis of what a more balanced community of social media advocates could mean for Disney in Florida could be spot on. The Disneyland social media community and the real media partners in California can really wag the dog from time to time.

*1023*

I would assume the Disney paid pretty close attention to this and has already sent it up the flagpole… So to speak.

While yes, sometimes the tail may wag the dog… Once the tail starts talking about being in charge, the dog generally takes control once again…

PhotoDave219

I'm not sure that people are so much hating on Lou for his words... They just seem out of character and slightly antagonistic (even if he speaks the truth) when one considers all of the privilege he (allegedly) enjoys at Disney. I personally do not know him, so I can neither confirm or deny the level of privilege he enjoys at Disney, but rumor has it that it's pretty significant.

I don't have a problem with them personally… I've met him twice, he came off like a politician. That's not necessarily good. But that's how he came off.

Short version? The man makes his money and his empire off of Disney. He might want to be more careful with what he says in print. He is entitled to his opinion in Disney is entitled to do whatever the hell they want to do because they can.

Next Big Thing

And I'm not freaked out nor my concerned about it. I have a strict no touching policy when it comes to people.

I'm simply concerned that the irrational fear in his stare at being generated by this will affect the tourism segments of the economy meaning Orlando.
I'd argue that talking about it for the past 20 pages hasn't helped stop any irrational fears of the disease.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

I love reading @PhotoDave219 when he's using voice to text. It's a game of "figure out what he said to his phone." I think "in his stare at" is "and hysteria"

*1023*

EDITED to add this: On a communicable disease note, try not touching your face for a day. I dare ya.

PhotoDave219

I'd argue that talking about it for the past 20 pages hasn't helped stop any irrational fears of the disease.

Like I said, I'm just worried about the potential economic impact to the area and see what that impact would entail in regards to current and future construction here at the resort.

But still, more people have married Kim Kardashian than have died of Ebola in America.

Next Big Thing

I would assume the Disney paid pretty close attention to this and has already sent it up the flagpole… So to speak.

While yes, sometimes the tail may wag the dog… Once the tail starts talking about being in charge, the dog generally takes control once again…
Tbh, what can Disney do? Stop inviting him to events? Stop giving him the privileges they've been allowing him?

If he really wants to go full bore and change how he's reporting Disney, he can do whatever the hell he wants. All he needs to do is buy a ticket like any other guest.

Now is this likely to happen, nope. It'd hurt him in the long run from selling his tours. But if for some reason Lou wanted to revolt, it's not like they could stop him.

hopemax

I have wondered, in terms of WDW's place in the cultural American identity, what would happen if multiple of the big fan sites turned against WDW. What if MDE had been rolled out without any of the discussions about how to actually use the website, set up tickets, which ones to reserve, advice about keep checking and all the ways fans have figured out how to "deal" with the system and its many errors. Many of the "fans" of MDE, credit all the info they were able to learn in advance as why it was so successful for them. So what would have happened if all those resources weren't there?

I did think, that at some point the bloggers and fan sites could be WDW's worst enemy, because in order for their sites to retain credibility, they have to eventually post the real scoop on things. Like the process at BOG, realities of FP+ availability and short stays for the most popular things, the FP+ only testing, which premium events aren't worth the money, and stuff like that. They can't be all gushy, gushy, if their readers are growing more frustrated with all the changes. Pete Werner's negative Villains Soiree report, can go into this category.

But if it expanded into some sites deciding not to participate in the "marketing" (for example deciding as a group to not talk about the next premium upcharge event), I'd kinda like to see what would happen. Although, I'm sure it would be, some would see it as "scoop" and continue to write about it, and then everyone else just falling back in line. All this character meal, M&G, Hidden Mickey hunting, princess dress-up seems to have coincided with the rise of the fan sites and their readership, so could you turn it back off? Or is there too much inertia at this point for that stuff.

PhotoDave219

Tbh, what can Disney do? Stop inviting him to events? Stop giving him the privileges they've been allowing him?

If he really wants to go full bore and change how he's reporting Disney, he can do whatever the hell he wants. All he needs to do is buy a ticket like any other guest.

Now is this likely to happen, nope. It'd hurt him in the long run from selling his tours. But if for some reason Lou wanted to revolt, it's not like they could stop him.
Straight up tresspass them if you wanted. I heard of a freelance journalist being trespassed from Disneyland Paris because of their behavior towards George K.although apparently that was years ago…

lazyboy97o

Straight up tresspass them if you wanted. I heard of a freelance journalist being trespassed from Disneyland Paris because of their behavior towards George K.although apparently that was years ago…
There is a reason Lutz was never removed from Disneyland. You do that sort of thing and you not only have the followers upset, but it can easily become a big nasty headline.

Next Big Thing

Lou is a former lawyer, I feel like he could easily sue them for trespassing without reason. He owns his own website and can report whatever he wants on it. It's literally trespassing without reason at that point.

stevehousse

I would definitely say he does not control a major portion of the Disney fan forum. Funny how it's really only on this board that people talk about him being all high and mighty...outside of this board most, including myself, have no idea who the guy even is, even that Brigante guy is a nobody...I don't even know what websites they are affiliated with. Honestly, I would say that the top website for all things Disney outside of the companies' own website would be all ears.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have wondered, in terms of WDW's place in the cultural American identity, what would happen if multiple of the big fan sites turned against WDW. What if MDE had been rolled out without any of the discussions about how to actually use the website, set up tickets, which ones to reserve, advice about keep checking and all the ways fans have figured out how to "deal" with the system and its many errors. Many of the "fans" of MDE, credit all the info they were able to learn in advance as why it was so successful for them. So what would have happened if all those resources weren't there?
I did think, that at some point the bloggers and fan sites could be WDW's worst enemy, because in order for their sites to retain credibility, they have to eventually post the real scoop on things. Like the process at BOG, realities of FP+ availability and short stays for the most popular things, the FP+ only testing, which premium events aren't worth the money, and stuff like that. They can't be all gushy, gushy, if their readers are growing more frustrated with all the changes. Pete Werner's negative Villains Soiree report, can go into this category.

But if it expanded into some sites deciding not to participate in the "marketing" (for example deciding as a group to not talk about the next premium upcharge event), I'd kinda like to see what would happen. Although, I'm sure it would be, some would see it as "scoop" and continue to write about it, and then everyone else just falling back in line. All this character meal, M&G, Hidden Mickey hunting, princess dress-up seems to have coincided with the rise of the fan sites and their readership, so could you turn it back off? Or is there too much inertia at this point for that stuff.

Or what if WDW is approaching that inflection point where there is now a critical mass of customers who are seriously disappointed in the product, I'm sure you have seen the new accounts coming online who are paid up members of team 'Gloom-n-Doom', Why is this could it be that Disney has finally cut so much the public at large sees it as well. And Lou seeing his meal ticket endangered is trying to get TDO to listen

Next Big Thing

I would definitely say he does not control a major portion of the Disney fan forum. Funny how it's really only on this board that people talk about him being all high and mighty...outside of this board most, including myself, have no idea who the guy even is, even that Brigante guy is a nobody...I don't even know what websites they are affiliated with. Honestly, I would say that the top website for all things Disney outside of the companies' own website would be all ears.
I don't disagree that his website isn't as frequented (although he has a VERY dedicated fanbase), but news outlets seem to think he's a lot bigger than he is. He's constantly on TV in Orlando and he's on national TV occasionally as well and in different articles like this. If Deb Wills was doing all of this, i'd agree with you more.

Sometimes it's not about traffic as much as it is about exposure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom