Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

aladdin2007

It seems like there has been an unwarranted rush to judgement before any concept art has been released.

If they were doing this 'quick & cheap', Disney would have kept the same boats. There are photos posted of them heading down the turnpike!

View attachment 69478
They are most likely going out to a shop to be modified. They'll probably convert them into snowmobiles.[/QUOTE]

lets hope not lolol. i would rather see sleighs

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
QUOTE="ford91exploder, post: 6376305, member: 60940"]The TDO way is 'cheap-n-nasty' these days

It seems like there has been an unwarranted rush to judgement before any concept art has been released.

If they were doing this 'quick & cheap', Disney would have kept the same boats. There are photos posted of them heading down the turnpike!

View attachment 69478[/QUOTE]

Great pic however this kind of confirms the cheap and nasty rebuild if the boats were truly out of service it would have been cheaper to cut up and put in dumpsters for disposal

Timekeeper

So here is my take on what I think Frozenified Maelstrom is going to look like- you board boats that look suspiciously like viking ships (just cleaned up a little), in front of a newly painted frozen themed mural...

How did you know?

Norway_Frozen_Overlay.jpg

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think calling it nasty is prejudging too much when you havent even seen concept art

After the Cardboard Olaf's on sticks at DHS no I don't think assuming it will be nasty is uncalled for, they could have easily done blow molded Olaf's or had some prop shop make inflatable Olaf like the plug in Christmas ornaments.

Supposedly this is Disney not a traveling carnival.

Timekeeper

If you build it, they will come. It's not "If you build it well..." or "If you build it to exceed expectations..." etc. It's just, "If you build it..." Disney knows this. And, sadly, I will be among them to see it once it's done.

(Yes, I know that the quote is "If you build it, he will come," but for the sake of discussion...)

Next Big Thing

After the Cardboard Olaf's on sticks at DHS no I don't think assuming it will be nasty is uncalled for, they could have easily done blow molded Olaf's or had some prop shop make inflatable Olaf like the plug in Christmas ornaments.

Supposedly this is Disney not a traveling carnival.
You were lucky you even got a cardboard cut out when the event with the time-frame the event was thrown together in.

Of course by that time, Disney knew Frozen was a huge success and should've had something much more elaborate planned months in advance.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You were lucky you even got a cardboard cut out when the event with the time-frame the event was thrown together in.

Of course by that time, Disney knew Frozen was a huge success and should've had something much more elaborate planned months in advance.

Precisely my point back in the Eisner days they planned in park promotions for upcoming features and scaled them down if necessary, Now with the lack of faith in internally produced product they dont even plan ahead any longer.

Even Marvel's Winter Soldier while they could not promote at WDW - A meet-n-grope would have been a perfect fit at DCA with the retro costume and bike.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
QUOTE="ford91exploder, post: 6376305, member: 60940"]The TDO way is 'cheap-n-nasty' these days

View attachment 69478[/QUOTE]

Isn't in a rush to judgment on your part that the boats are being replaced? They could be going off site to be stored, or refurbished.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

View attachment 69478

Isn't in a rush to judgment on your part that the boats are being replaced? They could be going off site to be stored, or refurbished.[/QUOTE]

What I said is HERE

Great pic however this kind of confirms the cheap and nasty rebuild if the boats were truly out of service it would have been cheaper to cut up and put in dumpsters for disposal.

I'm assuming a quick paint job of sparkly white - remember
@WDW1974 noted that this was going to be a QUICK overlay to capitalize on current Frozen mania not a proper ride so cardboard Olaf's and Arrendelle here we GO!.

Magenta Panther

Precisely my point back in the Eisner days they planned in park promotions for upcoming features and scaled them down if necessary, Now with the lack of faith in internally produced product they dont even plan ahead any longer.

Even Marvel's Winter Soldier while they could not promote at WDW - A meet-n-grope would have been a perfect fit at DCA with the retro costume and bike.

I've complained before about Bob Iger's utter lack of faith in the contents of the Disney vaults, or in any newly-generated Disney creations. Sometimes I wonder if he doesn't downright disdain them. I bet the only regard Iger has for Disney is in its merchandising potential - and even then, he's too soulless to truly grasp the ongoing love affair the general public still has for Disney - REAL Disney, the genuine article. He doesn't get that. I felt some hope that he was beginning to learn about that when he said the failure of the old DCA was that there wasn't enough Disney in it - but he phrased it in such a way that seemed to imply that it was the public who preferred that, and that it surprised him.

I don't care how much the stockholders love him - Iger's been the worst CEO of Disney to date. And who's to replace him that'd be any better? I used to think that maybe John Lasseter...but no...we all know what HE'S like now that the wage-fixing scandal has broken. That was low, John. That was real low. :mad:

ArtificialArtist

I've complained before about Bob Iger's utter lack of faith in the contents of the Disney vaults, or in any newly-generated Disney creations. Sometimes I wonder if he doesn't downright disdain them. I bet the only regard Iger has for Disney is in its merchandising potential - and even then, he's too soulless to truly grasp the ongoing love affair the general public still has for Disney - REAL Disney, the genuine article. He doesn't get that. I felt some hope that he was beginning to learn about that when he said the failure of the old DCA was that there wasn't enough Disney in it - but he phrased it in such a way that seemed to imply that it was the public who preferred that, and that it surprised him.

I don't care how much the stockholders love him - Iger's been the worst CEO of Disney to date. And who's to replace him that'd be any better? I used to think that maybe John Lasseter...but no...we all know what HE'S like now that the wage-fixing scandal has broken. That was low, John. That was real low. :mad:

But that's one of the sticks in the wheel of Disney. the Stock. The best is not always the best-selling. But to keep the stocks high it's necessary to keep the profits wealthy. But in reality, for a creative company like Disney this is comparable to a tree growing high into the sky without developing proper roots.
On one hand, Disney needs the stock, on the other it steers it into the pririty of profits over the priority of quality.
Not a technical quality, but a creative one. Decisions on the theme parks are driven too much by the need to raise attendance, to optimize profits, to expose and advertise new IPs. Without the roots, the apples won't taste nice though

flyerjab

Soooooo...aside from the viking ships sailing away, will there be any other visible evidence that work is going on inside the structure? Or should we also be expecting to see other walls going up outside in the pavilion to support any other changes (i.e., meet and greet location, facade change, signage, etc.)?

Just curious.

I'm pretty sure what you've described is how things are going to turn out. I assume Marshmallow will be the one sending you back, 'get out, get out of here!', but other than that I can't see the finished product being much different from your description.

Ooooh good call! I think you're right, having Elsa send you back over the falls is a little aggressive for a princess- we'll see Elsa off to the side "creating" marshmallow with her ice powers (aka fiber optics), and he'll be the one sending you backwards.

My "predictions" are all tongue in cheek- but honestly I kinda hope Disney does do the overlay on the super cheap. I'd actually be happier if parts of Maelstrom were preserved and if it you squinted your eyes you could still sorta see the original. Like the El Rio/Three Caballeros overlay.

Does anyone remember how much the Three Caballeros overlay cost?

Nick Wilde

Ooooh good call! I think you're right, having Elsa send you back over the falls is a little aggressive for a princess- we'll see Elsa off to the side "creating" marshmallow with her ice powers (aka fiber optics), and he'll be the one sending you backwards.

My "predictions" are all tongue in cheek- but honestly I kinda hope Disney does do the overlay on the super cheap. I'd actually be happier if parts of Maelstrom were preserved and if it you squinted your eyes you could still sorta see the original. Like the El Rio/Three Caballeros overlay.

Does anyone remember how much the Three Caballeros overlay cost?
I do too, but it's so it will flop. (Of course it won't for the first year, but by the next year people will realize how bad it is and not ride it) I want to see it flop, of course, so they'll realize they made a mistake with this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom