Port Orleans French Quarter

G00fyDad

Original Poster
What buildings are the "preferred" buildings?

Also, how many reservation requests will Disney take, 2 or 3? I can't remember. We usually just make 2.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Since the resort is so small there is not a preferred category. No matter what building you are in, you are never more than a 5 minute walk anywhere. If you ask which building is best, you will get a variety of answers because there isn't one that is best!

Thank you. :D

WDWoptmist

Absolutely love POFQ. The small size and quaint atmosphere makes it the best moderate to me. The only real problem I have with it is the weird decorations at Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory lol those giant heads and masks creep me out, but nothing a beignet cant fix :)

WoodyNBuzz

mmmmm...the beignet's at POFQ are absolutely worth staying there for. Gonna be at CSR in a couple of months bc of the free dining offer but POFQ is most definitely our favorite resort.

WellFedDave

It may be the "rose colored glasses" I'm wearing, but I can't think of anything negative to say about our stay at POFQ. The drawback of no table service option is a bit lost since you have a 5 minute walk to Boatwright's at POR or a 10-15 min boat to Disney Springs where there's multiple options. No different than staying on one end of a larger resort and having to walk the distance.

This may be a terrible theory, but I think not having a table service option at this resort helps keep the crowds at bay. I've never felt that the resort was full or at capacity when we've stayed. If POFQ would have extra lobby traffic that the old Bonafamile's location added it would make the laid back feel of the resort give the impression of something a bit more chaotic. In a sense, it would lose some of that smaller resort, hidden gem charm.

The bus service is remarkable. Especially comparing if you've stayed at any of the other moderates or even OKW & SSR.

Myamos

Hmm, I booked this resort for 11/2014 specifically because the cast member told me there are no shared buses. Hope that holds true. At least if they are shared we would get picked up first. We typically open and close the parks each day so since those times are busiest maybe there will be dedicated buses. Fingers crossed!

FLFQTR

We love this resort it’s our preferred resort at WDW. We have stayed several of them hem but we prefer this one due to the following factors.
-Size of the resort compared to the sister resort “Riverside”
-Less walking
-Crowds are much smaller
-Single Bus stop
-Pool area the kids love the dragon slide
-Ease of access to Riverside or Downtown using the boats.
-Very friendly staff
-Always have had early check in between 8am-9am

Last edited:

aw14

Good -
Small Resort - Half the size (geographically) of POR.
Small Resort - Half the number of rooms of POR, make it quieter
Bus stop at front of main reception - easier to get a bus and no driving around the resort
Disney Boat Service to DownTown Disney

Bad -
No Table Service - POR is the nearest

Problematic -
At busy times you can wait a while for a boat to DTD as POR is the starting point for most of the boats
This about sums it up. This our mod of choice for size and quiet. Have tried most other mods and this is the only one we would consider in the future

G00fyDad

Original Poster
We love this resort it’s our preferred resort at WDW (we will be staying again later this month for the weekend it will be our 17th time in the past 3 years). We have stayed at most all of them but we prefer this one due to the following factors.
-Size of the resort compared to the sister resort “Riverside”
-Less walking
-Crowds are much smaller
-Single Bus stop
-Pool area the kids love the dragon slide
-Ease of access to Riverside or Downtown using the boats.
-Very friendly staff
-Always have had early check in between 8am-9am

Thanks. I was curious about the check in times. At the All Stars resorts it is usually a 1pm check in time at the earliest in October. I would like to go ahead and get the luggage to the room instead of leaving it in the SUV rental for everyone to see when they walk by at DTD, or with Bell Services.

Has anyone had any luck with requesting a specific room? I'd love nothing more than to have rooms 1147 and 1148.

Tuvalu

Has anyone had any luck with requesting a specific room? I'd love nothing more than to have rooms 1147 and 1148.
Not a specific room, but we always get the building number and floor we request. Curious as to why those two rooms are important to you? We have stayed in all the buildings at POFQ and found building 1 to be our least desirable.

R W B

What are some of the good things and some of the bad things about this resort? In all our trips we have never stayed here. Just curious about it since it is a serious contender for our next trip. I'd search for reviews on the internet, but I'd get mostly a bunch of whiny comments from pretentious people. I feel like I can skip that by asking here. ;)

We stayed there during Dec 2012 and loved it. The fact I live in New Orleans made me kind of skeptical about staying at a French Quarter themed resort but it was great. I loved the small size to it, never was too loud or felt like it was packed (heard it was at 90% capacity out week). The food court had some good food options, I ate at least one meal per day there. They had a jazz player there a few days (maybe it was a piano player) and my fiancé and I sat for a hour or 2 one night after the parks and enjoyed the live music. Never had an issue with the busses. For most of the trips we had out own bus, only late at night leaving MK and heading to DD mid day did we share with PO Riverside but everyone still had a seat. The boat ride to DD is probably my favorite because its pretty long and the route it takes is very enjoyable especially at night, I wanna say it goes next to the tree house villas and a golf course. My fiancé and I rented bikes one day and rode all around both Port Orleans resorts and Riverside is huge when compared to French Quarter I think. Then, add the pool and you can't go wrong. If I saw a map I would know what bldg we were in but I forgot the number, however our door did face the water way which was pretty nice in the mornings.

Ill definitely stay there again after trying out a few others.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Not a specific room, but we always get the building number and floor we request. Curious as to why those two rooms are important to you? We have stayed in all the buildings at POFQ and found building 1 to be our least desirable.

I would prefer to have those two rooms just because my mother is going to be going with us for her first trip to Disney and it would just make it a lot easier to be close to the parking lot in the evening. First floor and close to the parking lot are our two main priorities. That building just seems like it would be in a good spot. We're not really that concerned with getting a room close to the main building.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Building 7, corner room facing the river.

That might be the top choice when I get down there. I hadn't considered that one because I assumed all river views were a preferred view room. However, someone mentioned that there are no preferred rooms at French Quarter. I will go down there with a list of rooms in order of choice and see what they can do, but those two rooms right there will probably be the number one choice. Thank you.

Tuvalu

That might be the top choice when I get down there. I hadn't considered that one because I assumed all river views were a preferred view room. However, someone mentioned that there are no preferred rooms at French Quarter. I will go down there with a list of rooms in order of choice and see what they can do, but those two rooms right there will probably be the number one choice. Thank you.
Though there isn't a preferred room category (preferred meaning location, NOT view) there are different rates for standard view, garden view, River view and pool view. Your room request may be limited to whatever category you paid for.

Last edited:

Chernaboggles

We just got back from POFQ a couple days ago. The resort is lovely. We had a river view room but I ended up somewhat regretting it, simply because we had the curtains closed most of the time for privacy (people walking right past the room able to look in always makes me uncomfortable), and also because the view of the gardens would have been equally nice. It might have been quieter, though, since we didn't face any other buildings. We were in building 6 and the walk to everything (bus stop, food court, pool) was pleasant. It was quiet, service was excellent. The AC worked great, the theme-ing was very tasteful and low-key. I agree with everyone who says it's a good resort for adults on a romantic trip or people who aren't sure about this whole Disney thing and want a more 'grown up' feel.

The Magic Kingdom bus was not shared, it went directly to and from French Quarter. However, when we went over to Food & Wine one night we did have to go over to Riverside first and make multiple stops there before getting to Epcot, I was glad we weren't trying to make a dinner reservation. Bus service from Epcot back to the hotel was also kind of slow, presumably for that reason.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Though there isn't a preferred room category (preferred meaning location, NOT view) there are different rates for standard view, garden view, River view and pool view. Your room request may be limited to whatever category you paid for.

LOL Wouldn't that essentially make the river views the preferred rooms?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom