MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

Ralphlaw

Maybe if WDSP wasn't executed so cheaply by Burbank in 2002 something would have happened by now. Such a shame.

Agreed, although I don't think it was necessarily cheap. It's just so spread out with vast expanses between attractions, no sense of place, and long walks to things which aren't that great.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Agreed, although I don't think it was necessarily cheap. It's just so spread out with vast expanses between attractions, no sense of place, and long walks to things which aren't that great.
Oh it was. 600 mil-ish including everything from land clearing to paint.

Eisner and his aide were quoted off mic on the eve of opening "maybe we built it too cheap".

DonaldDoleWhip

Spread out? It's easily the smallest (and ugliest) Disney theme park ever built.

I do agree with your criticisms, though.

Ralphlaw

I thought you meant "cheap" to mean "low quality", not low budget.

Perhaps it just feels spread out to me because it has big empty spaces with nothing to see. I must admit that California Adventure felt the same way to me before Carsland. Now, not so much.

Maybe a few more attractions spread out intelligently would alleviate that feeling.

DonaldDoleWhip

Maybe a few more attractions spread out intelligently would alleviate that feeling.
That would probably help - it seems like the Toon Studio side does this fairly well (especially with Ratatouille open), but it would be even better with TSMM to anchor Toy Story Playland. The Backlot area needs much more help, and it's where the problems you cited are most noticeable.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
A small note on Newport's rehab from Disney, which suggests a September 2015 completion date:

Due to renovations, the following services will not be available until end of October 2014 : swimming pool, wellness center, sauna, steam room. Please note that rooms, public areas, the boutique and the bar will be undergoing phased refurbishment from October 2014 to September 2015. Temporary closing of some locations may occur.

The two restaurants are listed as just "closed until further notice". My guess is they'll also be done by the end of October (2014).

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Earful Tower under refurbishment for the next two months (photo credit to insidedlparis) :

BucAsXyIEAAL2Dl.jpg:large

Also, free Wi-fi in the parks is rumoured to be coming next year. MM+ related (not full implementation) work?

Macca250

I believe Star Wars may not have a large demographic in Europe like the states.
Trust me, in England at least, we're Star Wars crazy!! From my experience Star Tours still draws fairly long lines at DLP, maybe they're taking the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' stance. If the attraction has good attendance perhaps management doesn't yet see the sense in upgrading it... Although I think it's in need of upgrading, the old film hasn't aged all that well (although it does have a classic feel to it.) Star Tours II was a great makeover in my opinion, fingers crossed it eventually makes it to France.

MotherOfBirds

I stumbled across a link to an article about plans to refurbish Phantom Manor. It cited the somersaults Walt must be doing in his grave over the facade's dilapidated appearance and the possibility of changing that. I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link so I won't just yet.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought you meant "cheap" to mean "low quality", not low budget.

Perhaps it just feels spread out to me because it has big empty spaces with nothing to see. I must admit that California Adventure felt the same way to me before Carsland. Now, not so much.

WDSP is anything but spread out.

Initially there was the reserved space for ToT that led to an empty feeling in the middle of the park, but over the years the footprint has barely been expanded despite attraction additions.

Before Toy Story Land it was the only Disney park where you could stand in one spot and see all four berms.

The Empress Lilly

The cool thing about DLP is that it is located next to an exciting city. So much going on you can even have a Disney holiday without ever setting foot in DLP itself. On my upcoming trip I could visit:

- Ratatouille shown on the big outdoor screen in front of the City Hall
- The outstanding Star Wars Identities interactive exhibit - complete with MagicBands! (They really show the potential of MB!)
- The art of Marvel superheroes exhibition
- Pixar in concert
- Tiki Room in the Quay Branly
- And exit though the gift shop on the Champs Élysées!

Ralphlaw

Trust me, in England at least, we're Star Wars crazy!! From my experience Star Tours still draws fairly long lines at DLP, maybe they're taking the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' stance. If the attraction has good attendance perhaps management doesn't yet see the sense in upgrading it... Although I think it's in need of upgrading, the old film hasn't aged all that well (although it does have a classic feel to it.) Star Tours II was a great makeover in my opinion, fingers crossed it eventually makes it to France.

The fun thing about DLP's Star Tours is that it's half in French, half in English, and no one seems to think that's odd. Gotta love those multi-lingual Europeans.

HolleBolleGijs

The cool thing about DLP is that it is located next to an exciting city. So much going on you can even have a Disney holiday without ever setting foot in DLP itself. On my upcoming trip I could visit:

- Ratatouille shown on the big outdoor screen in front of the City Hall
- The outstanding Star Wars Identities interactive exhibit - complete with MagicBands! (They really show the potential of MB!)
- The art of Marvel superheroes exhibition
- Pixar in concert
- Tiki Room in the Quay Branly
- And exit though the gift shop on the Champs Élysées!

Tiki Room? I'm here for 4 months...tell me more!

The Empress Lilly

Tiki Room? I'm here for 4 months...tell me more!
There is a great Tiki exposition at the moment in the Musée du Quai Branly. It is about the 'Tiki Pop' phenomenon in general. Disney's Tiki Room itself is mentioned only briefly. I visited the expo last week, it was great. It put the Tiki Room into its full historical and cultural perspective. (I now know that Tomorrowland and the Tiki Room are closely connected!)

It runs until September 28th. http://www.quaibranly.fr/fr/programmation/expositions/a-l-affiche/tikipop.html

Paris aout 14 024.JPG

There is even a complete reconstructed Tiki Bar where tropically dressed visitors can read up on Tiki in theme parks and Disney!
Paris aout 14 0132.jpg

Last edited:

HolleBolleGijs

There is a great Tiki exposition at the moment in the Musée du Quai Branly. It is about the 'Tiki Pop' phenomenon in general. Disney's Tiki Room itself is mentioned only briefly. I visited the expo last week, it was great. It put the Tiki Room into its full historical and cultural perspective. (I now know that Tomorrowland and the Tiki Room are closely connected!)

It runs until September 28th. http://www.quaibranly.fr/fr/programmation/expositions/a-l-affiche/tikipop.html

View attachment 65036

There is even a complete reconstructed Tiki Bar where tropically dressed visitors can read up on Tiki in theme parks and Disney!
View attachment 65040

Well I had no plans for next weekend, but now I do (I'm holding off on DLP itself until Dapper Day on the 20th). Thanks!

Ralphlaw

Just saw this today, but food service wages are kind of ridiculously amazing when you compare it to the CP kids in WDW. Like, more than a full-time HR position at my university pays.

I doubt that the food service workers are making $27 per hour; that's the average of ALL workers. Assuredly the bigshots earn a lot more, and some janitorial types probably earn significantly less. Nevertheless, within that array of wages is the notion that you pay a lot for someone's wages in France. I assume a fair number of workers in Florida and California earn around minimum wage (and some interns earn essentially nothing), whereas the lowest paid workers in France are probably well north of $10 per hour, and there is probably little or no outsourcing. Bottom line, front line workers earn a lot more on average, and the guests have to be willing to pay for them. AND if guests don't want to pay for them, they don't go. AND, this also means a lot more $$$ has to come in to make DLP profitable compared to the US.

HolleBolleGijs

I doubt that the food service workers are making $27 per hour; that's the average of ALL workers. Assuredly the bigshots earn a lot more, and some janitorial types probably earn significantly less. Nevertheless, within that array of wages is the notion that you pay a lot for someone's wages in France. I assume a fair number of workers in Florida and California earn around minimum wage (and some interns earn essentially nothing), whereas the lowest paid workers in France are probably well north of $10 per hour, and there is probably little or no outsourcing. Bottom line, front line workers earn a lot more on average, and the guests have to be willing to pay for them. AND if guests don't want to pay for them, they don't go. AND, this also means a lot more $$$ has to come in to make DLP profitable compared to the US.

I phrased that poorly; I was just trying to add on to what you said before. No, food service doesn't make nearly that much.

Last edited:

Ralphlaw

Yeah, no wonder so many young people in Europe can't find work. It's referred to as the "scarring effect" because they're employment efforts become crippled for life. These young adults are called NEETs, "Not in Education Employment or Training". Employers can't afford to hire even entry level workers to give them a start, so they stay at home, doing nothing.

Seriously, I never would have had my first job if my boss had to pay me, for example, $15 per hour. I cut my teeth on minimum wage plus 0% to 20%, getting valuable experience and allowing my employer to earn a profit. Now, I earn much more than the average and provide employment for a bunch of others through my business. Thankfully the labor laws in 80's and 90's America weren't so ridiculous that I couldn't get a start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom