Trattoria al Forno to replace Kouzzina by Cat Cora on Disney's BoardWalk

seahawk7

I wonder if the pizzas cooked in wood burning ovens will compete with Via Napoli? Maybe they are from different regions? I always welcome another Italian food place.

I wonder if the pizzas cooked in wood burning ovens will compete with Via Napoli? Maybe they are from different regions? I always welcome another Italian food place.

Well per the commentary from the WDW Blog it is Napolean pizza which is the same as being served at Via Napoli. Plus the Via Napoli way of making food is also by Wood Fired GRills for their non-Pizza food which is also the same as they are saying for this restaurant. I think this wasnt thought out well since why would you put a restaurant with the same type of food outside of a park you are charging people to enter with an option to eat at a very similar restaurant.

cw1982

Well per the commentary from the WDW Blog it is Napolean pizza which is the same as being served at Via Napoli. Plus the Via Napoli way of making food is also by Wood Fired GRills for their non-Pizza food which is also the same as they are saying for this restaurant. I think this wasnt thought out well since why would you put a restaurant with the same type of food outside of a park you are charging people to enter with an option to eat at a very similar restaurant.

On the flip side of the coin, people who are already planning to be in Epcot for the day and want to stay for Illuminations might find staying in the park and eating at Via Napoli to be more convenient than having to leave for a meal. I don't know that I see them as competing for that reason... IMO it would be different if they were both in the park or both not in the park.

Let me preface this comment to first say...I have no issue with Italian food and I LOVE Napolean type food (aka Wood Fired Grill)....

But I have an issue and a suggestion that would have been better and would have met the growing demo of the people coming to Disney on trips that Disney has said themselves they want to address (the tour groups)

1) Why put a restaurant of the same region of food within minutes of a paid for park with an existing restaurant of the same type? Via Napoli (sans the fresh Mozzarella) is the same type of restaurant from Naples based food to Wood Fired Grills, etc.

2) My suggestion for what the SHOULD have added...A South American restaurant. Specifically a Brazilian Steakhouse/Restaurant. Every year you see massive numbers of South American tour groups coming to Disney which I am sure would love to have something closer to home (not saying it wouldnt be an American swerve on SA food but at least close).

I really am flabbergasted at this move but whatever...Disney is going to do whatever they want even if it doesnt make sense to some of us.

seascape

On the flip side of the coin, people who are already planning to be in Epcot for the day and want to stay for Illuminations might find staying in the park and eating at Via Napoli to be more convenient than having to leave for a meal. I don't know that I see them as competing for that reason... IMO it would be different if they were both in the park or both not in the park.
Boardwalk is a 5 minute walk from Epcot. It's like being in the park but with more options.

ABQ

Well, I think the menu sounds delicious, but I do think it's less than exciting to have another Italian location so near to Epcot. Similar foods at Via Napoli, similar, if not the same, wines at Tutto Gusto (I love that place). Kat Cora's food was not the best, though I do really love Greek food and liked that what she offered was not offered anywhere else on the property. I wish they could have put another restaurant in that could make that claim. This one, as wonderful as the description sounds, cannot make that claim.

Cesar R M

Let me preface this comment to first say...I have no issue with Italian food and I LOVE Napolean type food (aka Wood Fired Grill)....

But I have an issue and a suggestion that would have been better and would have met the growing demo of the people coming to Disney on trips that Disney has said themselves they want to address (the tour groups)

1) Why put a restaurant of the same region of food within minutes of a paid for park with an existing restaurant of the same type? Via Napoli (sans the fresh Mozzarella) is the same type of restaurant from Naples based food to Wood Fired Grills, etc.

2) My suggestion for what the SHOULD have added...A South American restaurant. Specifically a Brazilian Steakhouse/Restaurant. Every year you see massive numbers of South American tour groups coming to Disney which I am sure would love to have something closer to home (not saying it wouldnt be an American swerve on SA food but at least close).

I really am flabbergasted at this move but whatever...Disney is going to do whatever they want even if it doesnt make sense to some of us.
I definitively would have preferred a Brazil Churrasqueria!!

My comment is a business based one for Disney. THey are charging people nearly $100 per to get in Epcot. Now if a person wants to eat Napoleonic Italian they can now choose to park for free at the Boardwalk (or hotel) and go to the new place. I could see this REALLY hurting Tutto and Via since I would choose another restaurant on Epcot day than one in Italy and go to the new place for Italian food after a different park day.

A Brazilian Restaurant? I love the Boardwalk, but that is a surefire way to keep me off of it. Could you imagine the noise from a tour group?

Sure...but as a business decision for Disney that place would be JAMMED. THat is where I am coming from on my comments. This decision from a business standpoint was mind boggling.

cw1982

Boardwalk is a 5 minute walk from Epcot. It's like being in the park but with more options.

I know that, but if I was in the park already and planning to be there until they closed, I still wouldn't leave for a five minute walk just to have to go back if there was a similar setup already in the park (which there is). I still don't see this as direct competition for that reason; likewise, someone who doesn't plan to go to Epcot that day has another option to get a similar meal. If we were talking about two restaurants that were a five minute walk apart without theme park admission being involved, I'd feel differently. Just my opinion.

Edit: I was typing at the same time as you... sorry ;)

My comment is a business based one for Disney. THey are charging people nearly $100 per to get in Epcot. Now if a person wants to eat Napoleonic Italian they can now choose to park for free at the Boardwalk (or hotel) and go to the new place. I could see this REALLY hurting Tutto and Via since I would choose another restaurant on Epcot day than one in Italy and go to the new place for Italian food after a different park day.

See my comments above. I still don't think this will hurt the restaurants at Epcot much because many people will probably still choose to eat in the park if they are already planning to be in the park that day anyway. I would think that some of the other restaurants that are near Epcot that do not offer similar experiences would hurt the WS restaurants more than this will because they're offering a different cuisine. No point in leaving the park if you're just going for the same food.

Then again, I don't buy entry to the parks just so I can eat at a restaurant; I plan to eat at a restaurant because I'm going to be at that park.

ETA: I do agree that a Brazilian restaurant would be cool though :)

FutureCEO

Thanks for the news. Not sure I'm excited about this, since I find WDW's Italian restaurants to be overpriced, mediocre, or both.

I'll probably try it anyway, though - hopefully it'll open on time as we're considering a January trip.

All Italian places are both overpriced and mediocre. Growing up Italian, Italian food at Disney is horrible. But it's good for those people who don't have great Italian restaurants near them.

Plus, a $20 meal for $2 pasta that you can get at the market is crazy for anywhere you get Italian food.

I haven't been to the fancy Itl place but I've only had Via Napoli for their amazing pizza and Tony's Town Square was ehhhh....never do it again sorta of place.

See my comments above. I still don't think this will hurt the restaurants at Epcot much because many people will probably still choose to eat in the park if they are already planning to be in the park that day anyway. I would think that some of the other restaurants that are near Epcot that do not offer similar experiences would hurt the WS restaurants more than this will because they're offering a different cuisine. No point in leaving the park if you're just going for the same food.

Then again, I don't buy entry to the parks just so I can eat at a restaurant; I plan to eat at a restaurant because I'm going to be at that park.

Not saying it would hurt Epcot or other (non-Italian) restaurants in Epcot. It will HAMMER Via Napoli (and maybe Tutto) eventually. People who know about Trattoria will decide to go to a non-Italian place on Epcot day. That is the business decision I am harping on with my comments. If WDW wanted to ensure no issues with all Epcot restaurants in terms of competition (as they did when Kouzina was there) then you put in a place that isnt an ethnicity of a country in World Showcase...that is all I am saying.

cw1982

Not saying it would hurt Epcot or other (non-Italian) restaurants in Epcot. It will HAMMER Via Napoli (and maybe Tutto) eventually. People who know about Trattoria will decide to go to a non-Italian place on Epcot day. That is the business decision I am harping on with my comments. If WDW wanted to ensure no issues with all Epcot restaurants in terms of competition (as they did when Kouzina was there) then you put in a place that isnt an ethnicity of a country in World Showcase...that is all I am saying.

But I don't see it as competition. People generally make their plans based on whether they want to be in the parks for their meal or not... or at least that is often a deciding factor. Which side of the gate they want to be on for that meal will likely impact which of those restaurants they choose. Therefore, it's not really a competitive thing between them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom