PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

Bocabear

It was a relatively small water feature in a lobby... The Grand Flo DVC has a water feature, and as can be witnessed just about everywhere, there are LOTS of hotels with water features larger than what was at the Poly. I had heard they wanted to floor over some of the second floor opening to expand the waiting area for O'hana...Which would have encroached on the garden throwing off it's symmetry, but have not heard a lot more...aside from the vague "health reasons"...

ABQ

It was a relatively small water feature in a lobby... The Grand Flo DVC has a water feature, and as can be witnessed just about everywhere, there are LOTS of hotels with water features larger than what was at the Poly. I had heard they wanted to floor over some of the second floor opening to expand the waiting area for O'hana...Which would have encroached on the garden throwing off it's symmetry, but have not heard a lot more...aside from the vague "health reasons"...
Might sound silly, but....was that water untreated? I mean there were actual growing plants in that feature unlike, say, the WL and Grand Flo Villas features, so I assume those could or would be chlorinated or otherwise treated. Did the Poly have ducks in the exterior water leaving fecal matter in it that then circulated to the inside and if children poked around in the inside water, could they be a concern? Just asking, not trying to make any point.

Bocabear

It would seem strange to me to even recirculate the water from inside to outside... No reason for that... the features are not even that close to each other which makes it even stranger. There were plants around the feature but I don't think there was anything actually living in the water... not that I ever saw. Could be mistaken though.

tikiman

What are the health reasons? It is recirculating water and trees, and I am not picking a fight either nor will I be offended, but would love to know what these health reasons are...

Honestly I wish I could share with you BocaBear but when I was told I was asked never to share the information. It could cost someone their job. I don’t get the impression you are trying to pick a fight at all. No worries.

tikiman

Might sound silly, but....was that water untreated? I mean there were actual growing plants in that feature unlike, say, the WL and Grand Flo Villas features, so I assume those could or would be chlorinated or otherwise treated. Did the Poly have ducks in the exterior water leaving fecal matter in it that then circulated to the inside and if children poked around in the inside water, could they be a concern? Just asking, not trying to make any point.

Besides the issue I cannot discuss the water was filtered and came in from the exterior ponds. They have had problems with the filters for years and they were integrated so deeply into the original feature that replacing the system basically meant tearing out much of the structure. You would often find the waterfall not running for the last few years because they needed to shut it down when the filters failed otherwise the bacteria in the outer pond would become airborne inside the GCH . This was a minor issue compared to the other reasons it was removed but it was a contributing factor to the decision. The plants being removed was a separate issue. The sky lighting is not up to code for how much UV it lets into the building When they fix and replace the skylights they will install new ones that block most of the UV. The plants would end up dying unless they supply another artificial light source to allow the plants to grow but that has nothing to do with the waterfall removal. It is the reason the large atrium with plants is not going back in. I would have liked to have seen them add in some kind of better replacement water feature than the one they are adding but they have plans for some elaborate water features on both sides of the new larger entrance to the GCH that will go in and may become the new photo spot.

Bocabear

Wow I had no idea they shared the water with the exterior ponds...That is bizarre. Seems like putting an interior pump in and no longer recirculating to outside would solve the problem but the UV and skylight issue is another thing altogether. There are of course ways around everything if there is a willingness to do it. Obviously they have deemed the project unnecessary and they will go with an outdoor water feature instead... Probably the one we have already seen. Meh...The water wall sign is done to death down here in Florida.
and thanks Tikiman for sharing what you knew.

Bairstow

Besides the issue I cannot discuss

Wait, there's secret water feature-related information?
This really piques my interest.

You would often find the waterfall not running for the last few years because they needed to shut it down when the filters failed otherwise the bacteria in the outer pond would become airborne inside the GCH.

Cripes, really? Or is this just speculation on the part of the someone who disliked having to pay to change the filters?

tikiman

Wow I had no idea they shared the water with the exterior ponds...That is bizarre. Seems like putting an interior pump in and no longer recirculating to outside would solve the problem but the UV and skylight issue is another thing altogether. There are of course ways around everything if there is a willingness to do it. Obviously they have deemed the project unnecessary and they will go with an outdoor water feature instead... Probably the one we have already seen. Meh...The water wall sign is done to death down here in Florida.
and thanks Tikiman for sharing what you knew.

I will agree that most of the issues we have discussed could have been resolved with lots of money they did not want to spend. The whole structure would have to come out to address all issues and they would have to rebuild the whole thing. Plants could have been added back in if they spent the money to put in a system of keeping them alive but I don’t believe that any of that would have been possible with the budget they were allowed so we end up with what we have.
Concept art for what they are going to do to the entry of the GCH has not leaked out yet. The Polynesian Village Resort rock sign is replacing the sign out at the entrance to the resort where the large wooden sign is now. The water features near the entrance to the GCH will be more like what was removed from inside the lobby.
Hopefully that gives you a better idea of what is coming. I will be interested in hearing your opinion once it is done.

Nerdbaitplus3

I'm actually pretty excited about this - I recently listened to a Podcast by the people of Skywalking Through Neverland who talked to Marcus Gonzalez, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Food and Beverage Product and Concept Development Manager, about some of the cool interactive features that happen if you order certain drinks at the bar. This is already my favorite place to stay and it looks like it's going to be even more fun. :)

Admiral01

Premium Member
Two words, one beast: Naegleria fowleri

We already know they shut down River Country because of it, and for the same reason won't allow swimming in the lagoon.

Ok, so I'm going to have to "go there" on this one.

It all seems to have come down to the brain-eating amoeba. Disney is worried about the brain-eating amoeba. Etc, etc, etc. But, with the dumbing-down of the parks, and the tendency to seek out guests who fit that construct, what was Disney worried about the brain-eating amoeba eating in the first place? The amoeba would have died of starvation long before it ever had the chance to get a decent meal!

(This is, of course, supposed to be silly. I take brain-eating amoebas very seriously. And, I don't question the intelligence of Disney guests, being that I often am one.)

Last edited:

morningstar

Is society to blame for this then? There is code for UV blocking on skylights? Why? People who come to Disney World are going to spend much of their day outside. There is no UV blocking there. There needs to be UV blocking on the skylights so that someone who decides to spend the daylight hours sitting around the GCH doesn't get an unexpected sunburn? Is this a real problem?

And the bacteria in the water issue - how does it become an actual problem? Wouldn't someone have to drink the water or at least swim in it? I guess some kid could play in the water and then stick their hand in their mouth. But then why is there no issue if it's outside?

PREMiERdrum

Is society to blame for this then? There is code for UV blocking on skylights? Why? People who come to Disney World are going to spend much of their day outside. There is no UV blocking there. There needs to be UV blocking on the skylights so that someone who decides to spend the daylight hours sitting around the GCH doesn't get an unexpected sunburn? Is this a real problem?

I'd guess it has more to do with getting the building LEED certified or some other environmental certification reason than actual rule-of-law building codes... The Poly would have been grandfathered into those anyway.

morningstar

I'd guess it has more to do with getting the building LEED certified or some other environmental certification reason than actual rule-of-law building codes... The Poly would have been grandfathered into those anyway.

I thought it would be grandfathered, but sometimes permits for remodeling come with mandates to bring certain things up to code. That could be it.

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
I'm actually pretty excited about this - I recently listened to a Podcast by the people of Skywalking Through Neverland who talked to Marcus Gonzalez, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Food and Beverage Product and Concept Development Manager, about some of the cool interactive features that happen if you order certain drinks at the bar. This is already my favorite place to stay and it looks like it's going to be even more fun. :)

Trader Sams has already been a favorite of mine at the Disneyland Hotel for years. I love it there! I especially love the christmas overlay it gets each year.

Can't wait to visit the new one at WDW.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is not true but you I'm not offended if you don't believe me.

You know.. you keep saying there are reasons.. and no to things like you have some definitive list. You keep inferring things and discrediting others, yet do not formalize your own credited list of reasons.. including the specific health complaints. So instead of hoarding such a list... spit it out.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Besides the issue I cannot discuss the water was filtered and came in from the exterior ponds. They have had problems with the filters for years and they were integrated so deeply into the original feature that replacing the system basically meant tearing out much of the structure. You would often find the waterfall not running for the last few years because they needed to shut it down when the filters failed otherwise the bacteria in the outer pond would become airborne inside the GCH . This was a minor issue compared to the other reasons it was removed but it was a contributing factor to the decision

This doesn't add up...

the water coming from the outside ponds puts everything at risk because it needs such filtering - so why not just pipe in a new water supply from the water mains so you reduce that problem. Certainly much more straight foward than ripping the whole thing out..

'the filters are so hard to get to..' - ok, so make those filters redundant by putting new filters in up stream of them or changing the water supply. Or... rip out the entire thing..

UV limits for skylights? Who is feeding you this stuff? Skylights are required to meet standards for impact, pressure, insulation, and breakage.. not UV. They must have a minimum insulating factor and must block a minimum amount of solar heat transfer for energy efficiency.

Maybe their new choice of fixtures is too blocking.. but whomever is telling you they aren't up to code because they don't block ENOUGH UV is misinformed and probably playing the telephone game... where they screw up everything they try to relay.

flyerjab

I will agree that most of the issues we have discussed could have been resolved with lots of money they did not want to spend. The whole structure would have to come out to address all issues and they would have to rebuild the whole thing. Plants could have been added back in if they spent the money to put in a system of keeping them alive but I don’t believe that any of that would have been possible with the budget they were allowed so we end up with what we have.
Concept art for what they are going to do to the entry of the GCH has not leaked out yet. The Polynesian Village Resort rock sign is replacing the sign out at the entrance to the resort where the large wooden sign is now. The water features near the entrance to the GCH will be more like what was removed from inside the lobby.
Hopefully that gives you a better idea of what is coming. I will be interested in hearing your opinion once it is done.

This has me intrigued. I am not a fan of the Poly as are many others in this thread so I am interested to see what they are planning on doing at the entrance to the Poly. Maybe trying to replicate what was once inside the lobby, but on a grander scale?

I do feel sorry though for those that have an attachment to what once was there. I completely understand and sympathize with their point of view.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom