American Idol Experience To Close

PhotoDave219

Ok, but what do you believe he was trying to communicate -- no closure within the fiscal year, which is absolutely not anything substantive, or no ANNOUNCEMENT of a closure within the fiscal year, which might well be considered substantive. I was trying to give the guy some credit after others had bashed...and instead I got bashed. No good deed...

PD told me that I should know what he meant, but I do not. And I suspect you also do not. Or maybe what he was telling me is that I should know that he's being purposely obtuse? In which case, why bother.

I mean there is no substantive reason to believe that Indy is closing anytime soon or that Star Wars even has a budget approved.

ABQ

This may not be the right place for this, but we are talking about the topic, so why not.

So I was looking around about SWL and got to wdwthemeparks.com, and I saw this:
  • It is expected to be a simulator that utilizes Disney's variant of the CAVE ride system.
What does that mean/what is the CAVE ride system?
Here's an explanation as it was used in Carsland.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This may not be the right place for this, but we are talking about the topic, so why not.

So I was looking around about SWL and got to wdwthemeparks.com, and I saw this:
  • It is expected to be a simulator that utilizes Disney's variant of the CAVE ride system.
What does that mean/what is the CAVE ride system?

CAVE (called DISH by Disney) is a virtual reality system used by Imagineeing to pre-visualize Rides.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/9994/Ste...t_to_Imagineerings_Digital_Immersive_Showroom

It's interesting to note that Intamin is going to introduce a new ride system that sounds similar to this later this week...

http://www.domeride.com/

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Star Wars is the only franchise that would be worthy to replace those attractions. And I think both IJ and Muppets would work better elsewhere.

Split hairs all you want, you know how I respond.

I'm sure that SOMEDAY it will close. It's just not going to close right now.

And All the Star Wars rumors? There's not even a budget approved for the project.

The Indy show isn't bad for what it is, although it is hot as HELL in there during the summer.

I think TDO ought to think about what it can budget for a Frozen attraction (either in DHS or NF) before it thinks about more Star Wars. And not just because of the not-a-Disney-creation thing. Yes, the new Star Wars movies SEEM like they'll be a no-brainer hit, but that remains to be seen, after all. Nothing is certain about it. But Frozen is a definite hit, plus a phenom, and Disney princesses are a long-lived, very profitable "brand", if you will. I can't believe TDO's only plans for Frozen are to destroy Maelstrom in WS of all places. A truly d*ck move if you ask me.

Ignohippo

Original Poster
This is so true! SOA really serves as more walking space for a park that doesn't have enough of it, it was for this purpose it was opened to the public originally and removed from the back lot tour.

Ya'know, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I hadn't realized it, but my affinity for SoA is probably because the entire rest of the park is so damned poorly designed and claustrophobic. The buildings and sets are very well done, but the main reason is it's just a nice area to go and not be shoulder to shoulder with everyone else for a few seconds.

If they could add a Monstropolis overlay, get some kind of Monsters attraction back by the theater (or relocate Laugh Floor in the theater) and find some way to get something actually into the facades (small shops, snack vendors, even get a small M&G for Mike & Sulley in there), it would be a perfect use for the area.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Has anyone seen this posted to Orlando Park news yet? Its pretty interesting
http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2014/06/disneys-hollywood-studios-expansion.html

There is an update to this rumor. The coaster has been cut and is being replaced by a Princess Leia meet and greet (they felt there was a severe lack of Princess stuff at WDW). The dark ride is still being built, but will take 7 years and only be 2.5 minutes long;)

Seriously, any Star Wars Land with less than 2 rides would be a disappointment. I don't count Star Tours in the ride count either so 2 new rides, plus StarTours. A coaster and a dark ride would be a good way to go considering we already have a simulator. If not that wicked cool coaster idea posted by @danlb_2000 then maybe a screen based ride similar to Spidey or Transformers with a fast pace and a lot of action to go with the slower, family dark ride.

Matt_Black

If we lose Indy, the chances are extremely likely that he will never have a presence in the WDW parks again.

Except that Indy has a presence in all the other Disney Parks worldwide. Removing him entirely would be akin to losing Space Mountain or the Haunted Mansion.

TYes, the new Star Wars movies SEEM like they'll be a no-brainer hit, but that remains to be seen, after all.

Even if they're terrible, they'll make a ton of money (look at the prequels). That's not even counting the cartoons, toys, and video games that continue to be popular regardless of the movies.

People on this board continue to conjecture about a possible "Potter-swatter"? Star Wars Land. Period.

Ignohippo

Original Poster
The Indy show isn't bad for what it is, although it is hot as HELL in there during the summer.

I think TDO ought to think about what it can budget for a Frozen attraction (either in DHS or NF) before it thinks about more Star Wars. And not just because of the not-a-Disney-creation thing. Yes, the new Star Wars movies SEEM like they'll be a no-brainer hit, but that remains to be seen, after all. Nothing is certain about it. But Frozen is a definite hit, plus a phenom, and Disney princesses are a long-lived, very profitable "brand", if you will. I can't believe TDO's only plans for Frozen are to destroy Maelstrom in WS of all places. A truly d*ck move if you ask me.

Billions in tickets and merch sales doesn't make Star Wars a definite hit? How is one hugely successful film over the course of one year more of phenom than a franchise with six films (each making about as much as Frozen has) and the longevity of 39 years?

It seems like a no-brainer to just about anyone except TDO that SW should be fast-tracked to get absolutely the most amazing "land" of any park in the world.

It would also seem to be a no-brainer that Frozen get an amazing one-of-a-kind attraction as well. I completely agree about that. Simply converting Maelstrom to Frozen isn't nearly good enough or appropriate for the phenomenon that Frozen has proven to be.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except that Indy has a presence in all the other Disney Parks worldwide. Removing him entirely would be akin to losing Space Mountain or the Haunted Mansion.

Even if they're terrible, they'll make a ton of money (look at the prequels). That's not even counting the cartoons, toys, and video games that continue to be popular regardless of the movies.

People on this board continue to conjecture about a possible "Potter-swatter"? Star Wars Land. Period.
Star Wars has all the potential to be as big or bigger than Potter if it's done right. This is why I'm actually OK with waiting a little on it. They need to hit a home run with it and that isn't going to happen if it's value engineered or has too small of a focus or budget.

Ignohippo

Original Poster

For Indy, that's why I'm hoping they keep the Stunt Show. Especially with the same ride tech being used in Dinosaur at AK and the cost of constructing a new attraction, I just can't see them spending the money on it. Even if the next film makes a mint at the box office, there's already a long line of those IPs that Disney isn't doing enough with. Indy would certainly be at the end of the list. Plus, the attractions at the other Disney parks were built at a time when Indy had a much higher profile than it does now and before Disney had as many successful properties that it was sitting on.

As for Star Wars, if the prequels can still sell tickets and merchandise by the boatloads, I don't know if anything could stop that gravy train. I have no doubt with JJ at the helm, the new movies will be much better "movies" - whether they will have the same sense of fun and wonder as the originals (or even the prequels at times) is yet to be seen though. The prequels sucked but they had just enough character and "fun" to enable them to still have a life.

doctornick

Well, not Hong Kong. And it doesn't seem like Shanghai either.

And all the other parks actually have Indiana Jones rides. I think most here would be happy to swap out the stunt show for an IJ ride if it came down to it. Adventureland does have an expansion pad....

Matt_Black

Star Wars has all the potential to be as big or bigger than Potter if it's done right. This is why I'm actually OK with waiting a little on it. They need to hit a home run with it and that isn't going to happen if it's value engineered or has too small of a focus or budget.

Even if they cheap out a bit, it will STILL be immensely popular, simply because it's Star Wars. Look at the success of Star Wars Weekends.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Anyone know which would cost more to operate and maintain, the Indy Stunt Show or the Indy ride? I have to think the ride might have more mechanical maintenance, but the show has a lot more higher cost CMs and special effects. If TDO could get Burbank to bankroll the ride and save some bucks on operations I would think they would jump at it.

Matt_Black

Well, not Hong Kong. And it doesn't seem like Shanghai either.

Give them time; those parks are still relatively new. Indy's in California, Paris, Tokyo, and Florida (for now); it's not unreasonable that at some point down the line HK/ Shanghai will get something.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Even if they cheap out a bit, it will STILL be immensely popular, simply because it's Star Wars. Look at the success of Star Wars Weekends.
Depends on your definition of cheating out a bit. A Cantina and an indoor Jedi Training Academy isn't getting it done.

Star Wars Weekends have SW fanboy appeal, but if held 365 days a year wouldn't hold the general public's interest. They need something substantial that people talk about and leave saying "we gotta come back and do it again". That's what Potter did for Universal.

Ignohippo

Original Poster
No, it means they don't know what to do with the area. PP phase two has been on the board since 2007 that I know of.

Don't know what to do or won't pay for it.

That was almost verbatim what I was going to reply.

It's simply that TDO doesn't have enough respect for its visitors to pay for an upgrade to an area that it sees no reason to upgrade. It's always packed. In their minds it makes it a success.

Forget the fact that it's a 30 year old property that no one gives a crap about and the kids who are playing in it have no idea what it is. It's big bugs and leaves. That's good enough.

Why upgrade it to something kids may actually remember for the rest of their lives because it's as though they're entering a world they have watched for their entire lives and has characters they absolutely love? Why try to sell Flick, Atta and Heimlick plush by the truckloads when doing so might cost them a few hundred thousand bucks up front?

michael.fumc

Depends on your definition of cheating out a bit. A Cantina and an indoor Jedi Training Academy isn't getting it done.

Star Wars Weekends have SW fanboy appeal, but if held 365 days a year wouldn't hold the general public's interest. They need something substantial that people talk about and leave saying "we gotta come back and do it again". That's what Potter did for Universal.
There needs to be an updated Jedi academy, cantina restaurant, awesome dark ride, eticket attraction, and maybe even a falcon walk through, to make it work. In my opinion

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom