Do you want to build a new resort?

JokersWild

With the new additions at Hong Kong and Magic Kingdom, as well as the concepts of Shanghai, WDI has freed themselves of the traditional castle park structure. I think a Castle park is still integral to a Disney Resort, but it doesn't have to be another Disneyland/Magic Kingdom clone, there's too many of those. Give people a new reason to come to the resort. Create new environments, new twists on old favorites, classics re-imagined, and brand new experiences never seen before.
I agree completely. People come to Disney expecting a castle. What Disney, let alone us as armchair imagineers, has never done is turn this concept on its head. I'm not quite sure how we could really play with the concept of a castle park, but, just as a basic idea, what if we tried a castle park that had no established IP? The possibilities would be endless and we wouldn't have to worry about trying to shoehorn the classics that are in every Disney parks. Perhaps give the park an overarching story as well?

As for MahnaMahna, your ideas seem interesting, but I'm not sure how really taking two lands and making them two parks is going to be feasible. Yes, there is a lot we could do with these themes, but it would be a very difficult challenge, and we really couldn't do something like "Old Futureworldland," or "Hey Look! 1960s Tomorrowlandland." It's interesting, but I'm just concerned that there's not enough material to cover two parks without everything getting muddled and boring. Just my two cents on the matter.

EDIT: Apologies, but I just saw this: Jdm, that could be an incredibly interesting idea. I really love it when hotels are integrated into the park like in Tokyo and Paris, but a shopping center might be too much. I'm probably just not picturing it the same way that you are, but it just seems like it would be a bit cluttered around the park. Unless you mean making the shopping center its own park, or recreation-like area.

MA Screamin'

I really like where this is going; the integration of hotels, etc. into one massive park sounds like a great path to take. @Tip Top Club , totally agree with your point, maybe if we want a castle (and I hate to be promoting myself but just to get ideas flowing), the central port for DisneyEarth could work. To get MahnaMahna's idea for sci-fi, we could easily shift the theme towards more fantastical maybe even mythical elements of nature, with the weenie for each land doubling as something and an hotel. As a sidenote to all my fellow SA teammates, we could maybe revive the Waterhole concept and put bits and pieces into it.

We are going with Aussie, right? Matt establishes that I thought.

Tip Top Club

I love the idea of going for a straight-up sci-fi city instead of the traditional Tomorrowland. You can incorporate old classics like Space Mountain, while also leveraging new ideas like the upcoming Star Wars expansions.

As far as a central icon though, I'm not a fan of Shanghai's Castle being a celebration of all the Disney Princesses, I would love to see us focus on a specific one who hasn't had a castle before, perhaps Belle, Rapunzel, or Snow White, or maybe even think outside the box.

RMichael21

In a WDW general discussion thread, someone posted this link. It was about a possible Disney Dubai Resort. Notice how the main castle has balconies and such.

thumbs_fsw_rivadubaidsnylnd_06.jpg

thumbs_fsw_rivadubaidsnylnd_03.jpg

mahnamahna101

I'd be fine with Sci-Fi City being just its own large land, along with Fantasyland perhaps taking up half the park in terms of theme (Dumbo's Circus, Halloweentown, Studio Ghibli mini-land, Wonderland, 100 Acre Wood). Arendale and Critter Country could be their own separate areas (maybe a more fantastical Adventureland with Mysterious Island, Tarzan, Pirates, Dinosaurs, Aladdin, Jungle Book and Neverland potentially combined?). Toontown would work as a transition between say Dumbo's Circus and Sci-Fi City. Frontierland could be replaced by Folk Country (mixture of Critter Country with American folk tales like Paul Bunyan and Sleepy Hollow)

1. Gardens of Imagination
  2. Mysterious Jungle (Jules Verne, Lion King, Jungle Book, Tarzan, Tiki Room)
  3. Pirate Cove (POTC, Neverland)
  4. Hero's Harbor (Aladdin, Sinbad, Hercules, Jason and the Argonauts, Homer's Odyssey)
  5. Arendale
  6. Storybook/Princess area (similar to current Fantasyland but divided into various European districts with Nightmare Before Christmas and Studio Ghibli having a presence)
  7. Folk Country (Bambi, Pocahontas, Paul Bunyan, Splash Mountain)
  8. Dumbo's Circus (Pinocchio, Dumbo, Toy Story Midway Mania)
  9. Toontown (as a full blown land)
  10. Sci-Fi City (Star Wars, TRON, potentially Marvel, etc)
Folk Country can be removed if something similar to Disney's America is proposed

Last edited:

LittleGiants16

Just thought I'd drop in and say hello everyone. This is looking great! The one thing I would caution you all on, and I think many of you will agree with me on this, but try to stay away from niche properties such as Studio Ghibli or somewhat unproven commodities such as Frozen. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Frozen fan and it made boatloads of money, but so did Avatar and can any of us name a single character from that film? (Don't even get me started on Avartarland...) Long story short, these are just my opinions; take them for what they're worth. But I will say that I wish I was as creative as the lot of you. How about we all do this: when we all have college degrees, we start our own design company. I'll handle the business side, you guys take the creative side. Sound good?

MA Screamin'

@LittleGiants16 I would love that! Maybe a creative outlet for all entertainment. Theme parks / resorts of course, but maybe even movies and music too, depending on our careers at that point.

But on topic, I'm leaning towards a castle without a defined IP, but maybe each sector of it focusing on a land and the spirit it pertains. I know that's maybe vague, but no IP I think is the way to go. Something new and innovative in the industry that guests will be dying to visit.

But do we need to pick a final theme now, or give it a few more days? I'm starting to get a little confused to be honest haha.

Last edited:

JokersWild

But on topic, I'm leaning towards a castle without a defined IP, but maybe each sector of it focusing on a land and the spirit it pertains. I know that's maybe vague, but no IP I think is the way to go. Something new and innovative in the industry that guests will be dying to visit.

I agree completely. We need to make this different. This is really the only way to do it, and still keep with the castle park tradition.

LittleGiants16

Would anyone object if I consulted on this project. I don't want to commit to anything, but I do love being a degenerate and acting smarter than I really am. Besides, I do tend to look at this sort of stuff from more of a business perspective than most. Anyone object if I just offer commentary?

DinoInstitute

Whoa--a lot happened in the past two days I was gone from the site!!;)

I like the ideas for a recreation center, shopping, hotels all integrated into one area and such, however I don't think it should be one massive park for a few reasons
1-The crowds would be huge, although you could say that since there would be more stuff the crowds will even out. 2- people will come expecting one days worth of parks, so they wouldn't have planned to stay to go to the park for 2 days and we wouldn't be keeping them on property, which is what we want...i think

I like the two separate parks for fantasy and sci-fy, however I think the ideas we are generating-while good- are not original- either replicas from other parks, cancelled ideas, or different IPs.

Well thats all from me for now, I'll be posting a few of my ideas later on all together in a big post:)

Wegerter

I like the idea of integrated hotels and shopping districts. What if the entire resort was integrated, and to tell if you bought park tickets or not you could scan your RFID chip at the entrance to attractions.

Matt7187

Original Poster
Would anyone object if I consulted on this project. I don't want to commit to anything, but I do love being a degenerate and acting smarter than I really am. Besides, I do tend to look at this sort of stuff from more of a business perspective than most. Anyone object if I just offer commentary?
No, I would not

Phew guys, my silence is because I want you guys to work everything out on your own. It is ours, not mine, but mostly yours. Once everyone decides their role in this grand resort, I will set up a PM with me, @LittleGiants16 and one designer so you can brainstorm and we can help you. Also, you would be able to post here and get others suggestions.

mahnamahna101

I'd like to help design the fantasy/Magic Kingdom style park! And My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away are popular enough for rides IMO. Splash Mountain and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride are based on fairly niche, lesser known films.

I would say Sci-Fi might be better as their own large (20 to 30 acres) land with separate districts/sections. I do like the lands I posted above, but they could change at any time.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I'd like to help design the fantasy/Magic Kingdom style park! And My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away are popular enough for rides IMO. Splash Mountain and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride are based on fairly niche, lesser known films.

I would say Sci-Fi might be better as their own large (20 to 30 acres) land with separate districts/sections. I do like the lands I posted above, but they could change at any time.
I would like to note that Splash Mountain is not technically based on a film but a series written in 1881. The tales of Uncle Remus. A lot of people grownng up in the 50s, 60s grew up with theses stories being read to them. My mom read me them when I was a kid. I have my copy sitting around here some where. The same with Mr. Toad, Alot of these Disney Designers grow up with these tales.

Disney History fact of the day! :D

mahnamahna101

Whoa--a lot happened in the past two days I was gone from the site!!;)

I like the ideas for a recreation center, shopping, hotels all integrated into one area and such, however I don't think it should be one massive park for a few reasons
1-The crowds would be huge, although you could say that since there would be more stuff the crowds will even out. 2- people will come expecting one days worth of parks, so they wouldn't have planned to stay to go to the park for 2 days and we wouldn't be keeping them on property, which is what we want...i think

I like the two separate parks for fantasy and sci-fy, however I think the ideas we are generating-while good- are not original- either replicas from other parks, cancelled ideas, or different IPs.

Well thats all from me for now, I'll be posting a few of my ideas later on all together in a big post:)

To be honest, there's not that many original ideas for parks that Disney, Universal, or Busch haven't already done. It's the execution that counts ;)

Here's my idea for Disney's America by the way
  1. Main Street USA (turn of 20th century America)
  2. Liberty Lane (colonial/Revolutionary War)
  3. Rivers of America (exploration aspect of the frontier)
  4. The Wild Frontier (desert aspect of the frontier)
  5. Discovery Bay (Industrial Revolution with some sci-fi/fantasy thrown in)
  6. New Orleans Square (early 20th century)
  7. American Waterfront (mixture of New York City, Chicago, Boston, Denver, and San Francisco)
  8. Hollywoodland (1930s-1940s Hollywood)
  9. Radiator Springs (small town America)
Haven't finalized anything, and I know it's definitely a hodgepodge of DisneySea, DCA, and the Americana in Disneyland but these areas already provide a great template for new, thematically appropriate attractions!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom