Animal Kingdom Lodge Vs Wilderness Lodge?

Which do you prefer, AKL or WL

• Total voters

ABQ

Buses at AKL are actually quite good. They only share with The Villas at AKL next door. I think WL will share with other resorts, but I am not positive of which ones.

The only real issue with AK and the buses is the resort is physically farther away from the other parks save for AK. This adds about 10 minute or so of travel time.
If memory serves, which it doesn't always, the WL shares with FW when heading to EPCOT, when headed to the AK or HS, the WL shares with the GF.
I've never taken the bus from the WL to the MK.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If memory serves, which it doesn't always, the WL shares with FW when heading to EPCOT, when headed to the AK or HS, the WL shares with the GF.
I've never taken the bus from the WL to the MK.
Thanks. I knew it varied based on destination, but I could not remember which routes went where.

durangojim

One other thing is that AKL is a pretty long walk to Kidani Village. WL is right next door to WLV. WLV has a nice pool and cool atmosphere indoors which you can take advantage of if you just want to hang out for a while.

The Mom

Premium Member
Since you just stayed at AKL, I would go with WL. I've stayed at both, and enjoyed them both. If you like to walk or jog (or even rent a surrey) WL is the better choice.

I just choose the one that is offering the best price. ;)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I think it is really a personal choice - we can't imagine staying anywhere other than AKL. Nothing beats drinking my coffee on the balcony in the early morning with the giraffe down below.

JasonDeyoung

Original Poster
Buses at AKL are actually quite good. They only share with The Villas at AKL next door. I think WL will share with other resorts, but I am not positive of which ones.

The only real issue with AK and the buses is the resort is physically farther away from the other parks save for AK. This adds about 10 minute or so of travel time.

Yeah I've stayed at AKL and the busses were always on time never had an issue, just seemed so far away and felt like I was on a bus forever that was the only real issue I had at the AKL loved it otherwise

JasonDeyoung

Original Poster
Since you just stayed at AKL, I would go with WL. I've stayed at both, and enjoyed them both. If you like to walk or jog (or even rent a surrey) WL is the better choice.

I just choose the one that is offering the best price. ;)

I do enjoy running, not sure about mid July though lol usually keep it in doors during the summer as for price the AP discount comes out to pretty much the same at either

mickeysshoes

I would go WL. The only question that comes to mind to me is being July and HOT will you see as many animals out and about?? If not might take away from the most important reason for staying there.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah I've stayed at AKL and the busses were always on time never had an issue, just seemed so far away and felt like I was on a bus forever that was the only real issue I had at the AKL loved it otherwise
Personally, I kind of like the out of the way feel of the place. It removes me from the hustle and bustle of the parks, but still it feels "Disney" to me.

Bowler Hat Girl

If you've done AKL already, give WL a try. I prefer AKL personally, but just a teensy bit more than WL because it seems so far removed from the hustle and bustle of everything else. Well, that and the savannahs.

The pool at WL is gorgeous. The lobby is breathtaking. LOVE the dining options there as much as the options at AKL. Artist Point is such a hidden gem, and it just seems quiet and removed. Totally opposite of Whispering Canyon Cafe with its fun theming, awesomely hilarious CMs, and really great platters of yummy food. Roaring Fork is a great QS stop. The walk to the boat to MK is so refreshing.

I could argue for AKL, but I think it's fun to try the different resorts, and I think if you like AKL, you'll like WL. Happy planning!

acishere

These are imo the two most beautiful resorts on property.

AKL has the better dining options and (if you are paying for a Savannah view) one of the most unique room views you can find. I prefer the pool at WL and the boat service gives it an advantage for transportation to MK. Both have gorgeous lobbies.

So if you want to try something new and stay at WL, you likely won't regret your decision. If you are not planning to reserve a Savannah view at AKL I would recommend staying at WL instead. Otherwise it is hard to pass up that view as long as you are willing to pay for it.

Last edited:

mhead

WL by far. AKL was the absolute WORST stay I have ever had at WDW. Rooms were not cleaned despite calling to report such, management was rude, took forever to get anywhere. WL has become our regular stay however!

s&k'smom

Since you've already stayed at AKL I would go with WL. As a family we love to ride the boat back and forth. We did not find the busses that bad either.

dave&di

I've stayed at the WL once and am going back Sept '15, I adore it!

I've never stayed at AKL and never plan to here why:

It's too far from most parks
It's expensive
Personally the food is too exotic for me!
Unless you pay for an animal view, I don't see the point, the place looks so similar to WL you might as well just stay there! You generally get ducks in the pool so stay in a courtyard view and get an 'animal' view!

DisneyJunkie

There's a lot of things to take into consideration. For me, I've stayed at the Wilderness Lodge but only visited Animal Kingdom Lodge. We prefer to stay close to the Magic Kingdom (we go there most of the time) so that generally takes any of the Epcot, DHS, or AK area resorts out of the running. Wilderness Lodge is a beautifully-themed, tranquil, almost private resort nestled in the woods yet still close to our favorite park. AKL is beautiful as well, with a gorgeous lobby, some fine restaurants, and the great savannah views. Personally I think AKL is too spread out for my taste and just not in the right location for the parks we visit most.

worldfanatic

I love the Wilderness Lodge, but I really, really love the Animal Kingdom Lodge.
Jambo House has my favorite lobby, pool, lounge, balcony views, and restaurant (Jiko) anywhere on WDW property.
I agree with others that the outer areas of WL are superior, but once you're within the resort......AKL's unbeatable.

Spike-in-Berlin

We stayed at both resorts. Our stay at the WL in 2007 was the most perfect stay at a WDW resort, we loved the WL since then, and our stay at the AKL in 2011 was by far the worst. We had planned to stay there 6 days (like at the WL) but after the first night we demanded a transfer to the Yacht Club because we were outraged by the filthy
and disgustingly dirty room we had to stay in for one night. Imagine a lamp shade like in the HM, but this was for real in the lamps above the bed. AKL? Never ever again.
So of course I prefer the WL.

Last edited:

Spike-in-Berlin

WL by far. AKL was the absolute WORST stay I have ever had at WDW. Rooms were not cleaned despite calling to report such, management was rude, took forever to get anywhere. WL has become our regular stay however!

Exactly my experience, only the resort manager finally took care of us, all the other CMs where completely uninterested in helping us. We got twó complimentary nights in a WDW resort of our choice as compensation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom