mine ride for BIG PEOPLE..

bjlc57

Original Poster
well Kids, I just got back about an hour ago , 10 days at WDW.. On Sunday, we ran to the mine ride when the park opened.. we were about 30th in line.. my wife in a scooter and me, a big MOOSE.. so an hour and 10 minutes later, they open the ride.. we get right down there.. and my wife gets in and there is no problem.. HOWEVER, I can't close the bar.. I am too big for the split bar to fit over my knees.. So my wife rode alone.. I asked to ride as a single.. and have one leg under one bar and the other.. and it works.. the bars lock, I am in.. BUT.. .the powers that be.. won't let me ride.. they say you can't straddle the bars.. so.. Larger people.. and I was told by some WHITE SHIRT, that, Yes, we know there is a problem.. and NO, you still cant ride..they made it right by me.. I got a few immediate ride passes to any ride.. but that doesn't make up for the fact that right now, BIG GUYS like me, or maybe you, cannot ride this ride.. this and one poor meal were the only downfalls of TEN GLORIOUS DAYS seeing the mouse..

cw1982

Wow. Sorry to hear about that! I'm glad they did what they could to make it right by giving you extra passes for other rides, but I know that doesn't take away from waiting all that time just to have your wife ride alone.

If you don't mind me asking, do you think my husband would have the same issue? He's 5 ft 11 and weighs 220 pounds (mostly muscle, as he does heavy weight lifting).

G00fyDad

well Kids, I just got back about an hour ago , 10 days at WDW.. On Sunday, we ran to the mine ride when the park opened.. we were about 30th in line.. my wife in a scooter and me, a big MOOSE.. so an hour and 10 minutes later, they open the ride.. we get right down there.. and my wife gets in and there is no problem.. HOWEVER, I can't close the bar.. I am too big for the split bar to fit over my knees.. So my wife rode alone.. I asked to ride as a single.. and have one leg under one bar and the other.. and it works.. the bars lock, I am in.. BUT.. .the powers that be.. won't let me ride.. they say you can't straddle the bars.. so.. Larger people.. and I was told by some WHITE SHIRT, that, Yes, we know there is a problem.. and NO, you still cant ride..they made it right by me.. I got a few immediate ride passes to any ride.. but that doesn't make up for the fact that right now, BIG GUYS like me, or maybe you, cannot ride this ride.. this and one poor meal were the only downfalls of TEN GLORIOUS DAYS seeing the mouse..

I'm 6'4". Am I going to have trouble?

bjlc57

Original Poster
I am 6'5" and weight a biscuit shy of a load.. my wife has thick legs but got in.. I just couldn't do it.. and I was not the first.. as I found out just a few minutes later.. they know they have a problem..

cw1982

Y'all remember the uproar when Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey debuted and not all body types weren't able to fit those seats?

Omg DH and I have free express passes for our next uni trip, whenever that is, because the person working the ride embarrassed the tar out of us by pulling us out of line to see if we would fit in the ride. He was very loud and obnoxious about it and even after I was visibly shaken by his behavior, he rolled his eyes and acted like we were inconveniencing him, when that was clearly the job he was being paid to do. This was even worse when one considers that we had already waited over an hour at that point with no indication that there might be an issue beforehand.

Granted, DH has since lost over 150 pounds, and I have lost 135... but that experience just about turned me off from uni. It wasn't the fact that we had to be checked to see if we could safely ride. It was the way the guy handled it.

FLmom

Oh NO!! Now I'm worried my daughter really wants to try this ride and she doesn't really ride any rides. However I'm large 5'5" and about 240 it it a height thing with legs being too high or a "large person" thing with stomach being the problem. I carry my weight in my stomach area.

I agree with the other poster a ride vehicle as a "photo op" and a warning about the ride vehicle not accommodating all body sizes would save people embarrassment and wasted time standing in line.

disney4life2008

Now I am scared. I am this close to booking a August trip just for mine train and the pin code I got is perfect. But I have issues with turnstyles and ride bars. I barely fit on harry potter and I was 30lbs lighter back in 2011. Do they not have a test seat? I have been embaressed to tears at Universal Orlando and do not want that to happen at disney. i would never go back

oghathornvx

I know that doesn't take away from waiting all that time just to have your wife ride alone.
5g.jpg

bjlc57

Original Poster
actually this should be an easy fix.. instead of a SPLIT safety bar , make it one bar.. like most rides.. or at least make one or two cars in say the back seat , with a single bar across.. I was in the car.. just could not get my knees in between the single safety bar..

flynnibus

Premium Member
This sounds like an instance where a mock ride vehicle, placed inconspicuously outside the attraction, would come in handy. Could save a lot of people a lot of wasted time in line and embarrassment.

Yeah, common at other parks.. especially thrill rides.. but I think this would be a first for a Disney ride AFAIK.. and the irony is it's on a 'kiddie' coaster and not a thrill ride.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
actually this should be an easy fix.. instead of a SPLIT safety bar , make it one bar.. like most rides.. or at least make one or two cars in say the back seat , with a single bar across.. I was in the car.. just could not get my knees in between the single safety bar..
You can't do that because one large rider would render the bar ineffective for a small rider in the next seat.

doctornick

You can't do that because one large rider would render the bar ineffective for a small rider in the next seat.

Doesn't BTMRR have one bar?

Ironically, I was going to reply to wdwmagic's post with this exact point -- in fact, when I ride with my (very thin) kids on BTMRR, I feel the need to hold them because the bar doesn't restrain them at all, since it stops at my body. (Yes, they probably would be fine anyway without be holding onto them, but it's my child, so I feel the need to be overprotective.) I rather prefer individual restrains for that reason.

cw1982

Ironically, I was going to reply to wdwmagic's post with this exact point -- in fact, when I ride with my (very thin) kids on BTMRR, I feel the need to hold them because the bar doesn't restrain them at all, since it stops at my body. (Yes, they probably would be fine anyway without be holding onto them, but it's my child, so I feel the need to be overprotective.) I rather prefer individual restrains for that reason.

I would think this would be even more of an issue on SDMT, given that the seats swing like they do. Even if they don't swing enough under normal conditions for it to matter, better safe than sorry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom