Universal Studios Hollywood Announces an "Epic Transformation"

sponono88

Original Poster
Today's press release confirms that Springfield is coming, along with Fast and the Furious - Supercharged, and new nighttime studio tours. All this in addition to Minion Mayhem/Super Silly Fun Land (opening this week) and Wizarding World of Harry Potter (opening in 2016)

Read the full press release here: http://insideuniversal.net/2014/04/universal-announces-ambitious-transformation-plan/

The NYTimes also has an article with additional details: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/b...ollywood-aims-to-catch-up-to-disney.html?_r=0

"The park, which will soon celebrate its 50th anniversary, said that it would also expand its “Simpsons” ride to include an entire themed village. The area, similar to one at Universal Orlando but more expansive, will add about a dozen restaurants and shops to the center of the park and open next year.
Also coming next year, the company said on Tuesday, will be “Fast & Furious – Supercharged,” a movie-thrill ride hybrid in which occupants of Universal’s famed back-lot trams will be encircled by 400-foot-long movie screens. “We’re going to make it feel like those trams are being pulled through the streets at speeds of over 100 miles per hour,” said Chick Russell, an executive producer for Universal Creative.

Universal’s tram tours, which currently end at sunset, will be expanded into the evening hours. There are plans for a new nighttime story line, which will be accompanied by lighting effects at more than 20 stops."

Lots of exciting things are happening -- it's nice to see that they are serious about investing in the Hollywood park as well. Meanwhile, i'm still waiting for Disney to announce something for DL's 60th next year..

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

Lots of exciting things are happening -- it's nice to see that they are serious about investing in the Hollywood park as well.

I agree. 2014 will probably be a banner year for Universal Florida and they could easily just sit and count the money. Instead they are adding 3 huge new attractions to Hollywood plus hotels and parking.

draybook

This is good new to me, as my wife no longer has the excuse of no Potter in California to use against me when trying to talk them into going out there.

Californian Elitist

Great news for USH and its fans. I can't wait for the next few years.

In regards to Disneyland's 60th, I'm not expecting a lot. Competition between the DLR and USH doesn't seem to exist, given the fact that Disney encourages people to visit USH on DL's website.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Competition between the DLR and USH doesn't seem to exist, given the fact that Disney encourages people to visit USH on DL's website.
That strikes me as odd, but I suppose it may make sense for them to do that, provided these guests stay at a Disney hotel. ;)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
From the trip reports I've read where the people buy those passes, they first do USH and spend the night there, then they head to Disney.
"Those passes". Do you mean they sell combo tickets between the resorts? Like Uni and Sea World/Busch do?

Californian Elitist

"Those passes". Do you mean they sell combo tickets between the resorts? Like Uni and Sea World/Busch do?

Hhmm, never heard of combo tickets. This pass is called a SoCal City Pass. It's good for one day at USH, one at Sea World, and three park-hopper days at the DLR.

citypass-southern-california.jpg

BigTxEars

This is good new to me, as my wife no longer has the excuse of no Potter in California to use against me when trying to talk them into going out there.

I really, and I mean really want to do DL and stay at the Grand California, that thing looks just awesome. I love the fact that it has it's own gate to the park, not DL but the other one.

I have not been to US in Hollywood since the early 90s, I would love to go again. Good memories there from the younger days. I have pretty much sworn off California due personal bias but I would make an exception for a trip to DL/US. :)

Californian Elitist

I really, and I mean really want to do DL and stay at the Grand California, that thing looks just awesome. I love the fact that it has it's own gate to the park, not DL but the other one.

I have not been to US in Hollywood since the early 90s, I would love to go again. Good memories there from the younger days. I have pretty much sworn off California due personal bias but I would make an exception for a trip to DL/US. :)

You really haven't sworn off California, if you plan on visiting the DLR and USH.

Californian Elitist

I said exception :)

My wife is from there, I was stationed there for 2 years in the Marines, lived there 2 years after that. I can talk smack about it :)

You still haven't completely sworn off it, since there's an exception. LOL.

Did you visit all of California in those four years? Or did you mainly stay in one place? If the answer is yes to the latter, you can't talk smack. I'm a native Californian, I've been an Angeleno all my life. At the same time, I don't really know this state. It's far too big. I know my city, Los Angeles, but I don't truly know my own state, California. I've yet to explore all of it. I can't even talk smack or praise it, really.

BigTxEars

You still haven't completely sworn off it, since there's an exception. LOL.

Did you visit all of California in those four years? Or did you mainly stay in one place? If the answer is yes to the latter, you can't talk smack. I'm a native Californian, I've been an Angeleno all my life. At the same time, I don't really know this state. It's far too big. I know my city, Los Angeles, but I don't truly know my own state, California. I've yet to explore all of it. I can't even talk smack or praise it, really.

Oh no doubt it's a huge state with a ton of cool stuff to see and do. No way did I see or do anywhere close to all of it. Like I said I have personal bias, it's not the state itself, just some of what I consider crazy laws, political issues etc. Nothing that belongs on here for sure :)

But since we are pimping states, let me tell ya about Tejas :) Big, bold and beautiful as well! Maybe we can do a exchange program and visit each others favorite parts of the respective states :)

BubbaQuest

The tour is my favorite attraction in the park so i'm really looking forward to this. I hope this means they will be extending park hours!

NightTime.png

Wow. Didn't know they were already promoting the night time tour. Too bad we have to wait until 2015. I wonder if they'll still have "buy a day, get a year" next year. I hope they start offering an All Parks pass. I have a feeling I'll be visiting parks on both coasts multiple times next year.

Californian Elitist

Wow. Didn't know they were already promoting the night time tour. Too bad we have to wait until 2015. I wonder if they'll still have "buy a day, get a year" next year. I hope they start offering an All Parks pass. I have a feeling I'll be visiting parks on both coasts multiple times next year.

Why don't you just get an AP?

Disneyhead'71

Oh no doubt it's a huge state with a ton of cool stuff to see and do. No way did I see or do anywhere close to all of it. Like I said I have personal bias, it's not the state itself, just some of what I consider crazy laws, political issues etc. Nothing that belongs on here for sure :)

But since we are pimping states, let me tell ya about Tejas :) Big, bold and beautiful as well! Maybe we can do a exchange program and visit each others favorite parts of the respective states :)
I lived I San Antonio. And about the only good thing I can say about Texas is Austin is cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom