Guillermo del Toro's Haunted Mansion

tinkerblonde11

Original Poster
I apologize if there is a post like this...
Does anyone know what's happening with the new Haunted Mansion movie surrounding the Hat Box ghost, which was to be made by Guillermo del Toro? I remember reading about it a while ago and thinking how great it would be to have an actually creepy HM movie, compared to the previous Eddie Murphy film. Is this still in the works or was it shut down?

Last edited:

champdisney

Well for starters, the Haunted Mansion reboot was announced back in the summer of 2010. Not much has been said since then besides the fact that Guillermo del Toro has been very busy taking care of his other Hollywood projects (Pacific Rim, the upcoming Beauty and the Beast starring Emma Watson, and the stop-motion Pinocchio). Del Toro has stated once before that he has turned in several drafts of the script to Disney but since then, nothing has been mentioned of the film at all. :(

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
In the world of cinema, those "Do Over's" are referred to as Reboots. And there has been no shortage of franchise-ending mess up's, resulting in a necessary reboot.
In the world of Cinema ..."Do Overs" should embarrass the Studio enough to fire people that "green-lighted" the movie to begin with, instead of rewarding them for firing the people that they told to make the movie.

Calling it a "reboot" is just an excuse to either: CYA for a poorly written remake of a movie that probably shouldn't have been remade to begin with (because you can't improve on a perfect story) or else it's a desperate grab for money to make your division of the corporation look good.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

In the world of cinema, those "Do Over's" are referred to as Reboots. And there has been no shortage of franchise-ending mess up's, resulting in a necessary reboot.
I wish Spider-Man didn't get rebooted at Sony so we'd be spared from that crappy Lizard and the crappy looking Goblin in the new one and that maybe, the character could have gone back to Marvel.

Robin Of Loxley

I wish Spider-Man didn't get rebooted at Sony so we'd be spared from that crappy Lizard and the crappy looking Goblin in the new one and that maybe, the character could have gone back to Marvel.

I'm personally enjoying how this new Spider-Man series (The Amazing Spider-Man) is unfolding. Granted, the Lizard in the first film did look a bit goofy, but it was an overall decent film. Sure it had it's 'been there, done that' moments, but I like how Andrew Garfield is portraying Peter Parker, and the lovely Emma Stone is just...:inlove:...

...sorry, what were we talking about again?

I am psyched about The Amazing Spider-Man 2 coming up in May. I think Electro is going to be a terrific villain! Rhino (although not having too large a role in this upcoming film), will be another nice addition who has not been featured in the previous series.

As for the Green Goblin, I think it's gonna work well. I'm personally liking the idea of an evil' disgruntled-psychotic face rather than the large Goblin mask/helmet that was worn by Willem Dafoe in 2002's Spider-Man. It is also an interesting twist having
Harry Osborn become the Green Goblin rather than Norman
I believe Dane DeHaan can pull off creepy & psychotic well enough to do the character justice.

But what I'm most looking forward to in TASM2 is the reveal, either at the end of the film, or in a post-credits scene where it hints at
Doc Ock, Vulture, and Venom appearing in the next movie. There will be a scene where a mysterious figure at Oscorp walks past a chamber holding Doc Ock tentacles, Vulture wings, and a Venom symbiote.

So all in all I like how this new series is shaping up to be an ultimate battle. It is bringing in new characters while refreshing ones which have been seen before. Hopefully this series can stay the course and deliver. From the previews of TASM2 that I've seen so far, it looks like Spidey fans are in for a promising ride.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm personally enjoying how this new Spider-Man series (The Amazing Spider-Man) is unfolding. Granted, the Lizard in the first film did look a bit goofy, but it was an overall decent film. Sure it had it's 'been there, done that' moments, but I like how Andrew Garfield is portraying Peter Parker, and the lovely Emma Stone is just...:inlove:...

...sorry, what were we talking about again?

I am psyched about The Amazing Spider-Man 2 coming up in May. I think Electro is going to be a terrific villain! Rhino (although not having too large a role in this upcoming film), will be another nice addition who has not been featured in the previous series.

As for the Green Goblin, I think it's gonna work well. I'm personally liking the idea of an evil' disgruntled-psychotic face rather than the large Goblin mask/helmet that was worn by Willem Dafoe in 2002's Spider-Man. It is also an interesting twist having
Harry Osborn become the Green Goblin rather than Norman
I believe Dane DeHaan can pull off creepy & psychotic well enough to do the character justice.

But what I'm most looking forward to in TASM2 is the reveal, either at the end of the film, or in a post-credits scene where it hints at
Doc Ock, Vulture, and Venom appearing in the next movie. There will be a scene where a mysterious figure at Oscorp walks past a chamber holding Doc Ock tentacles, Vulture wings, and a Venom symbiote.

So all in all I like how this new series is shaping up to be an ultimate battle. It is bringing in new characters while refreshing ones which have been seen before. Hopefully this series can stay the course and deliver. From the previews of TASM2 that I've seen so far, it looks like Spidey fans are in for a promising ride.
No, just no.

And for one reason.

The story behind Venom is worth a lot more than being shoved into a tertiary cluttered plot.

Robin Of Loxley

No, just no.

And for one reason.

The story behind Venom is worth a lot more than being shoved into a tertiary cluttered plot.

The symbiote being at Oscorp is only the tip of the iceberg. Eddie Brock hasn't even come into play yet in this series. Peter Parker hasn't encountered the symbiote yet. There is still a lot to unfold in the films to come, but the fact it's coming is exciting.

(And we can finally forgive Sony for that awful Topher Grace version of the character in 2007's Spider-Man 3.) :banghead:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The symbiote being at Oscorp is only the tip of the iceberg. Eddie Brock hasn't even come into play yet in this series. Peter Parker hasn't encountered the symbiote yet. There is still a lot to unfold in the films to come, but the fact it's coming is exciting. (And we can finally forgive Sony for that awful Topher Grace version of the character in 2007's Spider-Man 3. :banghead:
Forgive me, but I won't hold my breath. I hope you are correct.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The symbiote being at Oscorp is only the tip of the iceberg. Eddie Brock hasn't even come into play yet in this series. Peter Parker hasn't encountered the symbiote yet. There is still a lot to unfold in the films to come, but the fact it's coming is exciting.

(And we can finally forgive Sony for that awful Topher Grace version of the character in 2007's Spider-Man 3.) :banghead:
I'll add...the one character(s) that they seem to leave out that would be epic on screen, and offer a lot of story options...

Instead of Oscorp...and the traditional lineup of villians, there are others.

Hobgoblin, for example, has a whole series of stories, and would make an interesting sequel side character (not a main one) and a fantastic transitional character between an Oscorp storyline and what I'm about to propose...

But, the one I think would work very well on screen...VERY WELL...is the Rose. And that would mean creating a backstory and setting up the Kingpin / Wilson Fisk.

That would play so much better then Oscorp, since that was already done by Sony. Instead of a retelling/reboot of the same stories they already failed to do well (even though they grossed well at box office), it would be a whole new angle.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Think about it...it would be Spider Man vs Batman, honestly, with a little known property (the Rose) that they wouldn't have to pay all that much fan service to (he's basically the Punisher)...

Steel City Magic

wow now that you mention it the only reason that I "liked" spider-man 3 was because its the only time venom has ever seen screen time. then again now theres a pretty sweet fanmade vid now too. always excited to see another iteration of venom! venom and the punisher... but no punisher unless its Tom Jane... just leave it be if no Tom Jane

Bairstow

I just think it's such a shame that Raimi wasn't allowed more control over Spiderman 3's plot.
Supposedly Sony only insisted on shoehorning in Venom because they thought he was a popular character in Japan.
If he had been allowed to keep Venom for another film that series would probably still be doing just fine.

SosoDude

Any more info on the Haunted Mansion reboot ? I cant find any confirmation of any thing happening with it right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom