DCP and parents

wdwforus

Original Poster
Any DCP members parents on here with any tips or insider info? I have a daughter who is accepted to Fall 2014 and I'm of course a curious parent. Thanks

wdwforus

Original Poster
I'm looking for any info that parents may have been surprised with, working conditions, how Disney deals with roommate issues, tax issues, college issues, anything that could help a parent who has a college student who has been through this program and the tricks or tips. Its a big change and a long distance and I am just trying to be as informed as possible.

BrittanyRose428

I forget where I got it, but last time I was accepted in 2012 there was a program guide for parents in a pdf file online. I don't have a link for it, I just printed it out then, so it may be something that everyone gets eventually when they are accepted. I've been accepted for 2014, but I haven't seen anything like that yet. There is also a for parents or family section of the official DCP website.

The working conditions are pretty much what it says on the official website. I'm not sure how they deal with roommate issues, I would imagine that it would be difficult to switch roommates and they would encourage you to work out your issues before getting to that point. I don't quite know what you mean by tax or college issues, I imagine these are specific issues that may be difficult to find information about online that is helpful.

In general, college issues would need to be handled by your daughter's college rather than Disney. Disney doesn't dictate whether or not you get credit, or need to take classes, or financial aid, or anything like that. So most likely any kind of college issue you would probably want to speak with someone from the college.

Also, I don't mean to come off as rude, so please don't take this the wrong way, but it may be better for your daughter to worry about some of these things, like roommate issues for instance, rather than you. Obviously as a parent you should be concerned about your child's well-being, but many students use the program to kind of spread their wings and learn to be on their own, so you may want to see how much your daughter wants you to be involved with some of these topics. :)

wdwforus

Original Poster
I appreciate the feedback and have read some of your posts in my research but being a parent versus being a member are two different things and I was looking for more of a parents perspective of what they experienced. As far as worrying about my child's well being, well we won't go there. Maybe you'll be fortunate enough to have kids someday. This isn't my first rodeo. :)

BrittanyRose428

Well in any case, I found the link to the 2012 guide for families. I don't think anything here is really outdated so this may be helpful. While it's not going to give you insight in personal experiences others have had, it has a lot more information than the official website. I don't know if they send these out anymore either, I haven't heard of anyone receiving one for 2014. This might be something they include when you check in now, but I thought the pdf ahead of time was nice so parents can have it before the program even starts.

http://cdn.disneycareers.com/managed/WDPR_CollegeProgram_WDWFamilyGUide_12-2012.pdf

DCP Parent

Any DCP members parents on here with any tips or insider info? I have a daughter who is accepted to Fall 2014 and I'm of course a curious parent. Thanks

I helped drive my daughter to Disney - FL. She enjoyed working there, as some former cast members have mentioned on other forums..hours can be long and it depends on how the cast member spend the money they have left over. My daughter worked long hours but she also got to have a little fun and do some other stuff. She did not take any addition courses. She always needed money. She was eating out a lot probably too. Its a great program. Roommate problems...maybe and maybe not. My daughter got along with her roommates with no problem. I suggest you get online and read about the program, the policies for the apartments, clothes, parking as well as the benefits for the member and their family can all be found online. The program provides everything except food and gas for your car if you drive. Having a car is convenient but not necessary to get to work. I was a little concern about my daughter walking at night after work, but, several cast members take the bus and walk with them. My daughter drove so she only took the bus from the parking. She worked long hours but she enjoyed herself, so much so, she plans on applying again:) Hope this helps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom