Disney Springs construction begins

roj2323

Photo Update

west side parking lot (north of cirque) - This will be one of two new cast services buildings
DSCF0922.JPG

West side parking lot Temporary dock
Lots of materials are stationed here. Most notably the sheet pilings for the causeway project and the piers for the new restaurant on PI. Also in the distance is what's left of Captan Jacks (see second pic.)

DSCF0925.JPG
DSCF0927.JPG

A new stage has gone up next to House of blues - also 3 of the food trucks have been relocated. 2 to the Marketplace and one next to Wolfgang Puck
DSCF0935.JPG
DSCF0937.JPG

I'm not done yet. Another post is on the way

roj2323

Photo Update part 3

Bridge abutment? by Planet hollywood - this looks pretty different from the last time I photographed it. In the background you can see new concrete which I think is the new bridge abutment and the area next to it which the backhoe is sitting on I'm not sure.
DSCF0957.JPG

West side Parking garage - They seemed like they were in a hurry today. there were trucks and guys everywhere.
DSCF0939.JPG

DSCF0944.JPG
DSCF0946.JPG

I have a ton more photos of the parking garage but I'll post those to flicker.

New restaurant on PI. - Words can not truly describe how large of an area is cordoned off over the water. It is enormous.
DSCF0962.JPG
DSCF0928.JPG
DSCF0930.JPG
DSCF0931.JPG
DSCF0965.JPG

What's going on behind the building with the Pleasure Island sign on top (sorry don't remember the actual name)

DSCF0973.JPG

Here's a really short video of the same area however it reveals a lot of progress http://www.flickr.com/photos/95909967@N06/12687083565/

The complete 93 photo album http://www.flickr.com/photos/95909967@N06/sets/72157641335110454/

Last edited:

roj2323

Thanks for the pictures and update. Looks like The Boathouse is coming along.

I know its an odd question, but what hotel are we looking at in the background behind Fultons/Empress Lily? That's across I-4, right?
No, it's actually next to downtown disney on the same side of I-4. According to google maps it is the Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista.

This photo was taken from the west side parking lot next to the temporary dock they have setup for the construction.

maxairmike

No, that's actually Blue Herron resort, across I-4 on 535 and right next to the CiCis/Starbucks/mini-golf across from Vista Way. Never noticed it was visible before.

roj2323

Last week:
Click to enlarge...

Any chance we can get a shot a little further south towards I-4 the next time you go up? As I understand it they have ripped out a significant portion of the cast parking lot over by the Hess and they have definitely started clearing trees next to I-4 for the off ramp to the parking garage. The area cleared is huge but not Really photographable at 70mph.

CrescentLake

Stupid question, but are current buildings going to be rethemed/receive a new skin? If so, when is that going to happen?

It seems that the first phase of this project is infrastructure work (bridges, parking garage, new cast buildings and the beginning of stuff on pleasure island.)

roj2323

I dropped by downtown disney yesterday 2/25/14 and the Marketplace dock was gone. This is surprising considering they only closed it 3-4 days prior. There were crews working everywhere and the guys building the causeway were even moving the sheet pilings from one barge to another. The first portion of the causeway (lego side) is now filled in with sand (what floridians call dirt) and the pilings for the new restaurant on Pleasure Island are staged at the construction site along with a very large crane which is also on a barge. The new bridge going to Saratoga springs was also being worked on while I was there.

I have to say I'm impressed by the increased productivity of the construction crews. You can really tell now that disney is in a hurry.

mousefreak

I may have missed this somewhere in all the posts, but based on the models I've seen the main Disney Springs construction is happening in the West Side old PI area. Is there any planned construction work planned for the current Marketplace area?

Mouse Detective

I may have missed this somewhere in all the posts, but based on the models I've seen the main Disney Springs construction is happening in the West Side old PI area. Is there any planned construction work planned for the current Marketplace area?

New pedestrian bridge from Saratoga Springs Resort.
New pedestrian bypass causeway across the lake from T-REX to Rainforest.
New shopping options within the closed Team Disney building.
New Starbucks.
Demolition of Pollo Campero building.
Expanded Earl of Sandwhich
Probably more......

mousefreak

New pedestrian bridge from Saratoga Springs Resort.
New pedestrian bypass causeway across the lake from T-REX to Rainforest.
New shopping options within the closed Team Disney building.
New Starbucks.
Demolition of Pollo Campero building.
Expanded Earl of Sandwhich
Probably more......

Thanks! I completely forgot about those changes. Didn't know about expanding Earl.

Bolt

They should expand World of Disney too. I always felt like that place was so small;)

Too bad Legoland moved in down the street. I could see an opportunity for a major expansion of the Lego store. That place is always packed.
I don't think LegoLand is hurting sales at all. The theme park portion is operated by Marlin Entertainment, so there's no stopping Disney from expanding their retail side of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom