Speedweeks 2014

Brian & Jill

Original Poster
Finally speedweeks 2014 has started at Daytona (This is going to be Kevin Harvicks year). Which means racing season is finally upon us and it is right around the corner for the local tracks here in WNY.(2 months out)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Finally speedweeks 2014 has started at Daytona (This is going to be Kevin Harvicks year). Which means racing season is finally upon us and it is right around the corner for the local tracks here in WNY.(2 months out)

About 10 years ago, I took a tour of the Daytona Speedway, and it was fascinating. Also, I signed up for a "ride-along" with a race car driver, and those three laps he drove me around on that super speedway were absolutely thrilling—at 180 mph! He drove way up high on the those insanely steep banks. Let me tell you, after that experience, I have such an appreciation for these drivers, starting out at the beginning of a race, with about 43 other cars on the track, and all racing at those speeds and higher.

Although I've never been to an actual "live" NASCAR race, I like watching it on tv. The Daytona 500 is my favorite race, and such an exciting event to start off the season. And, like yourself, I really like Kevin Harvick and want him to succeed. My brother lives down in N. Carolina, and he took me to see the Richard Childress Racing Museum in Welcome, N.C., a few years ago (at that time, K. Harvick was racing for Childress). We got to see some of the cars he drove and racing memorabilia from other members of the team as well. It was a good-sized museum and very interesting. (Side note: R. Childress also owns beautiful vineyards and a restaurant over in Lexington, N.C. My brother and I also visited there as well, and enjoyed a very pleasant lunch, including a glass of one of the wines. Our table was by the window and overlooked the lovely vineyards.) :)

MOXOMUMD

Since Mark Martin has decided to step away from racing, I'll be cheering for Jimmy Johnson to get another championship. :)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Since Mark Martin has decided to step away from racing, I'll be cheering for Jimmy Johnson to get another championship. :)

The # 48 has won 6 times! Jimmy and his crew are amazing. Actually, I like quite a few of the racers, and it's so difficult to pick my top five each year. (Mark Martin was always in my "favorites" group, by the way. He did a lot for that sport, and was so impressive to be racing into his mid-50s. He'll be missed out there on the track.)

Brian & Jill

Original Poster
The # 48 has won 6 times! Jimmy and his crew are amazing. Actually, I like quite a few of the racers, and it's so difficult to pick my top five each year. (Mark Martin was always in my "favorites" group, by the way. He did a lot for that sport, and was so impressive to be racing into his mid-50s. He'll be missed out there on the track.)
Yes I will agree with you 100% about Mark Martin I to was one of his biggest fans along with Bill Elliott. Not such a Jimmy Johnson fan....but I will give Jimmy and the 48 team props they know what they have to do and when they have to do it to make it count.

Brian & Jill

Original Poster
Plan on staying up till 11 tonight to watch the Whelan modified series race from New Symirna Fl. tonite on fox sports one. Being from the northeast I grew up and was also on a pit crew for an open wheel asphalt modified. Looking forward to watching it and seeing all the top modified drivers race!!!!!:D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Plan on staying up till 11 tonight to watch the Whelan modified series race from New Symirna Fl. tonite on fox sports one. Being from the northeast I grew up and was also on a pit crew for an open wheel asphalt modified. Looking forward to watching it and seeing all the top modified drivers race!!!!!:D

That must have been a great experience to be on a pit crew. Although I'm only familiar with watching the NASCAR crews work their magic, I imagine the similarity in skill, intensity, and physical strength must certainly also apply to the modified race crews. I hope you enjoyed watching the race last evening.

Brian & Jill

Original Poster
That must have been a great experience to be on a pit crew. Although I'm only familiar with watching the NASCAR crews work their magic, I imagine the similarity in skill, intensity, and physical strength must certainly also apply to the modified race crews. I hope you enjoyed watching the race last evening.
Yes the skill is important and wasn't as intense but it was also fun but very time consuming and demanding,but I wouldn't have changed it for anything. I did enjoy watching the race but then I fell asleep with about 40 laps to go:arghh: but oh well my sleep is more important since I had to be up at 5 this morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom