Decent Supermarkets off Property

SteveAZee

Original Poster
I'm looking for opinions on the local supermarkets close to Disney property. I'll be staying at Old Key West, and in the past have avoided Goodings (too expensive) and have gone south to the Publix where 535 and Irlo Bronson meet (also conveniently located near a Krispy Kreme :)). I wondered what people thought of either the Winn-Dixie (to the north) off of 435 or the Publix (also north) at Regency Village off of I Drive.

I think our grocery list will be fresh fruits, cold cuts, bread, wine, and snacks... maybe some meat (steaks, chicken, etc) to be cooked back at the room. Any feedback, thought, or other recommendations would be appreciated.

emcclay

I'm a local and always visit the Publix at Regency Village. With the new outlet expansion just opening, traffic is very heavy in the area. MY suggestion would be to take 535 > Intl. Dr. > Regency Village to bypass that!

SteveAZee

Original Poster
If nothing else, Publix sounds like the way to go... and there are three about the same distance from OKW. Any opinions about the three, or are they all the same?

mrerk

Premium Member
Looks like it's a little closer... thanks! I'll put that on the list. Do you prefer that one over other supermarkets in the area?

We gave up on Goodings years ago. We were willing to pay the prices but the quality started slipping. We also tried a Winn Dixie on 535 a couple times. We then found the Publix at the end on International Drive South, but that one evidently closed and the one in front of Celebration replaced it. Its real easy to get to. We go out past Pop and AoA, left on Osceola and right at the Gaylord Palms. The old Publix was down on the left just before you got to 192. To get to the new one you go to 192, take a right and it is just down 192 on your left.

HollyAD

I am a fan of the target in Kissimme. It was a short drive from the AKL but I am unsure if it is close to OKW. It was the best target I have ever been in. Lots of food/ alcohol choices and everything else we needed at decent prices. I do love a good Publix but they can be overpriced as well. This target was also near Flipperz pizza which I hear is pretty darn good.

SteveAZee

Original Poster
Thanks HollyAD... good idea. The Target here in Oregon does groceries, but I don't think they have things like meat (chicken, steaks, etc)... do you remember seeing that at the Super Target when you visited? It certainly looks close enough... especially if they're less expensive than Publix.

HollyAD

Thanks HollyAD... good idea. The Target here in Oregon does groceries, but I don't think they have things like meat (chicken, steaks, etc)... do you remember seeing that at the Super Target when you visited? It certainly looks close enough... especially if they're less expensive than Publix.
I don't remember what I saw exactly. I was just looking for frozen foods and snack foods. I think they may have had a small area for meats. Not as big of a variety as a super market but I was able to find good stuff. Found some good hummus for snacking and a decent selection of alcohol.

MaxsDad

I have always gone to the Publix when we stay at AKV. It is not a bad drive at all. We just take Osceola to Sherberth, and turn right and head West on Irlo Bronson a few lights and you're there. They have a good Deli, fair pricing. Also, along this stretch of road, is a large selection of other "real world" retailers/eateries.

SteveAZee

Original Poster
Back from our trip and that's where we shopped, the Publix near Celebration. Easy enough to get to from OKW and decent/good stuff at decent prices, so it really worked out well. As a side note, we missed a few things on our first visit and ended up supplementing with things (like butter and eggs) from OKW general store. As it turns out, the pricing there wasn't nearly as bad as we anticipated. Good to know. :)

Mouse_Trap

There is a very good Publix on the US27 only about 2 miles from the Celebration one (assuming that's the one off the side of the 192). The Celebration one is newer, but have not been there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom