New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

djkidkaz

The nighttime KS could be interesting

I'm really curious how they will light up the safari properly and what animals they will be able to display.

Also curious about the nighttime show on discovery river. Almost sounds like a show that would travel down the river so you could see it from different areas of the park. Obviously they use to travel guests around the river so it does have the ability.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm really curious how they will light up the safari properly and what animals they will be able to display.

Also curious about the nighttime show on discovery river. Almost sounds like a show that would travel down the river so you could see it from different areas of the park. Obviously they use to travel guests around the river so it does have the ability.
They have previously operated a nighttime version of Kilimanjaro. It used lighting rigs on the trucks. It was actually a very neat experience, complete with an all new storyline and a guide along with the driver. I got to experience this in late 1999.

Captain Neo

They have previously operated a nighttime version of Kilimanjaro. It used lighting rigs on the trucks. It was actually a very neat experience, complete with an all new storyline and a guide along with the driver. I got to experience this in late 1999.

I actually have the "Making of Animal Kingdom" book they used to sell in the park and it clearly states in it that Killimanjaro Safari (and DAK) was always designed to be open at night just like the other parks. I remember it even said something like "Disney has made sure that the Safari will be entertaining guests even on the coldest winter nights".

The only downside to all this good news is that it probably means the end of the Whole current entry way and Discovery Village. It will probably be all bulldozed and changed to accommodate larger traffic flows and the nighttime entertainment and parade.

Seabasealpha1

So, is this night show based on the "Rivers of Light" thingy that was thrown around on forums like this a couple of years back? Sounds a lot like that idea got pulled out of the Imagineering fridge and warmed back up! Also, will the night show open before all of this Avatar stuff? Or is it like a package deal?

I guess it's all speculation still...

Not a bad idea at all though! We were there this last December pretty late and to be honest, by that point you run out of things to do and it's kinda chilly...so, off to the car we went...I welcome an opportunity to stick around!

Glad to see something FINALLY!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Did I miss it about the Safari being run again after dark under this proposal? I thought it was scrapped due to logistics and a lot of the savannah lighting (not the jeep lighting) was removed?

Any nighttime entertainment as I understand it will not involve any variables, much like jungle cruise it will all be controlled and predictable (in the nicest sense)

MerlinTheGoat

Did I miss it about the Safari being run again after dark under this proposal? I thought it was scrapped due to logistics and a lot of the savannah lighting (not the jeep lighting) was removed?

Any nighttime entertainment as I understand it will not involve any variables, much like jungle cruise it will all be controlled and predictable (in the nicest sense)
You mean the NEW proposal announced today? If so, yeah you must have missed it, it was confirmed on the parks blog along with the AVATAR art that the safari would get a night version-

As part of the largest expansion in the history of the park, we’ll be adding all-new entertainment experiences, including a new nighttime spectacular where live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery all combine to bring a show to Discovery River that will delight our guests and truly cap off their day at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The park will introduce more nighttime entertainment as well, including live performers on Discovery Island (pictured above) and a new nighttime version of the Kilimanjaro Safaris.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ar-to-come-to-life-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

MerlinTheGoat

That's the one.. Its 8am, I have flu and haven't had coffee. Thanks!
No problem, haha! At least the announcement wasn't made in the dead of night for you as it was for those of us in the US!

I'm glad to see they've decided to do the night safari despite the apparent issues they thought it would cause. It sounds like it could be seriously fun! And I hope they don't find it too expensive and troublesome after a short while of doing the night safaris and just cancel the whole thing shortly after. Honestly i'm a bit stoked about the AK reveals from today despite my still nagging reservations.

Some guy on Micechat claimed to know about the safari project. He may be full of crap or he may not be. But he claimed they were going to illuminate the safari with lighting to appear like natural moonlight and that they'd switch out the day animals with more nocturnal ones at night. Sounds like a reasonable estimate even if he doesn't know anything for sure. Though I would wonder whether this would necessitate the ride be shut for a short while each day to switch out the day and night animals...

DicksonGR

I think this is a great announcement. Are we going to have to wait until the Avatar stuff opens before we get the nighttime safari and show I wonder?

Having not been too excited about this project, the new concept art does look good. Dare I say if only they could construct things at Universal speed I'd be a lot happier...

draybook

I'm just excited about the park being open past dark again. The park takes on a whole new personality when the sun sets. Although I'm not an Avatar fan at all, this is good news. Although I am with @PhotoDave219.......2017? I guess they had to ask Universal if they were busy doing anything in the next 4 years so they wouldn't have to share the spotlight........:joyfull:

patch553

I am so excited about the night time show :Dand after dark ride on the safari ( love this ride anyway):happy:. I was not keen when they said they were building an avatar land but the art work and ideas look really good may have to change my mind. I have always loved ak and always thought of it as a all day park not a half day park maybe now others will agree and stay longer.............

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom