Star Wars Weekends 2014

journ116

Good afternoon fellow Disney travelers! Today, I would like to pick the brains of forum members who have attended Star Wars Weekends...I am in the beginning stages of planning a weekend trip in May 2014 specifically for this event, which will be my first encounter with the hoopla! And the kicker: I am surprising my 17 y.o. younger sister with said weekend trip (this will be her Christmas, 18th birthday, & graduation present)! Now, she is a much bigger Star Wars fan than I am and will probably know more about the characters & set-ups than me...I am just an appreciater of Lucas' film work.

Onto the questions:
1. When did you attend?
2. What were the crowds like?
3. Any tips or tricks-of-the-trade I should be aware of? I am a complete novice when it comes to this event.
4. Any "must do's?"
5. Did you stay at DHS all day/night (or the night before;))?

As of right now, I will be booking a studio at AKV, because it's my DVC home resort...hoping I can switch to BCV or BWV at my 7 month booking window.

Many thanks in advance to ANY insights, suggestions, and/or answers to my questions above!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Good afternoon fellow Disney travelers! Today, I would like to pick the brains of forum members who have attended Star Wars Weekends...I am in the beginning stages of planning a weekend trip in May 2014 specifically for this event, which will be my first encounter with the hoopla! And the kicker: I am surprising my 17 y.o. younger sister with said weekend trip (this will be her Christmas, 18th birthday, & graduation present)! Now, she is a much bigger Star Wars fan than I am and will probably know more about the characters & set-ups than me...I am just an appreciater of Lucas' film work.

Onto the questions:
1. When did you attend?
2. What were the crowds like?
3. Any tips or tricks-of-the-trade I should be aware of? I am a complete novice when it comes to this event.
4. Any "must do's?"
5. Did you stay at DHS all day/night (or the night before;))?

As of right now, I will be booking a studio at AKV, because it's my DVC home resort...hoping I can switch to BCV or BWV at my 7 month booking window.

Many thanks in advance to ANY insights, suggestions, and/or answers to my questions above!
1. I have missed SWW once in the last 12-13 years.
2. Insane and the get bigger every year.
3. Forget about autographs for anyone you have ever heard of unless getting to the park 6-10 hours prior to opening is something you are willing to do. Even if you don't do autographs, get to the park no later than an hour prior to opening and have a plan. Doing "everything" is not very practical and sometimes impossible so select what is important to you and plan around that. Get in line for the shows at least 1/2 an hour prior to showtime. For Ray Park's show (If he is there) extend that to at least an hour.
4. It is different for everyone. Personally, I like the shows. Pictures with the characters is great for the first few trips, but it gets old after a while. Merchandise is always a must do for me. I tend to skip the Hoopla. While it is a fun show the seating is horrible unless you stake out a spot hours beforehand. That may change if they move it from the temporary stage in front of the hat.
5. I have gotten to the park as early as 3:00 AM. 6:30 is my normal SWW arrival time and we will stay until close.

Upvote 0

journ116

Original Poster
2. Insane and the get bigger every year.
3. Forget about autographs for anyone you have ever heard of unless getting to the park 6-10 hours prior to opening is something you are willing to do.
5. I have gotten to the park as early as 3:00 AM. 6:30 is my normal SWW arrival time and we will stay until close.

This says it all::jawdrop:

This weekend trip would be a Thurs. night-Sun. night, and it will just be me and my sister (DH & 2 DD's will be at home). Soooo, I plan on dedicating that entire trip to DHS (with a walk over to EP for a pastry or two or three).

In all the years you have gone, what and when was your "best" experience with this event? And, what would be the one thing that you absolutely don't miss out on when going to party at a Star Wars party?;)

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This says it all::jawdrop:

This weekend trip would be a Thurs. night-Sun. night, and it will just be me and my sister (DH & 2 DD's will be at home). Soooo, I plan on dedicating that entire trip to DHS (with a walk over to EP for a pastry or two or three).

In all the years you have gone, what and when was your "best" experience with this event? And, what would be the one thing that you absolutely don't miss out on when going to party at a Star Wars party?;)
There have been so many great times that it is hard to single out just one. Having a front row seat to Ray Park hopping out of the car during the parade to grab a kids Double lightsaber, spin it around and finish with a butterfly kick was pretty awesome.
P1130237.JPG

Watching my 4 year old daughter win a stare down contest with Aura Sing was pretty cool as well. As were moments like the one pictured below.

P1120852.JPG

P1120859.JPG

All in all, just geeking out with my family and thousands of other Star Wars geeks is always pretty cool.

If Ray Park is there I never miss his stage show a Visit to the Maul. Warwick Davis is another favorite. You would be hard pressed to find to other Star Wars celebrities that embrace the fan base more.

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I think I was there when they had Stars Wars weekends in 2003, it wasn't as big of a deal then. I do remember there being Stormtroppers on the roof entrance to the Studios and that was cool Then there was a character caravan which we thought was a long parade so we waited a long time for a very short parade. My husband is a huge Star Wars fan and would love to experience it but it never works out for when we can go. If you go have fun and may the force be with you.

Upvote 0

KatMaria

It seems that SWW is getting bigger and bigger every year. Heck I remember going and no one really being into it and now its crazy. If you go early, it seems to be better. I have gone every year, I usually always went after work. Hyperspace Hoopla is amazing, but unless you get a close to the front spot, you'll be ducking around peoples cameras and children on parents head. SWW is a great event, its just starting to outgrow the parks capacity. Hint for Disney to expand. Anyways, just go early and enjoy it, know it will be busy and be prepared to wait in lines. The earlier weekends tend to be a little less packed than the later ones, but who knows for this year with the crowds. I still think going either really early or night is best because of the heat factor. Earlier is better for characters and such. Just enjoy it and check out the merchandise, it is awesome how much new SW stuff they have every year!

Upvote 0

journ116

Original Poster
I think I was there when they had Stars Wars weekends in 2003, it wasn't as big of a deal then. I do remember there being Stormtroppers on the roof entrance to the Studios and that was cool Then there was a character caravan which we thought was a long parade so we waited a long time for a very short parade. My husband is a huge Star Wars fan and would love to experience it but it never works out for when we can go. If you go have fun and may the force be with you.
Thank you!

Upvote 0

journ116

Original Poster
It seems that SWW is getting bigger and bigger every year. Heck I remember going and no one really being into it and now its crazy. If you go early, it seems to be better. I have gone every year, I usually always went after work. Hyperspace Hoopla is amazing, but unless you get a close to the front spot, you'll be ducking around peoples cameras and children on parents head. SWW is a great event, its just starting to outgrow the parks capacity. Hint for Disney to expand. Anyways, just go early and enjoy it, know it will be busy and be prepared to wait in lines. The earlier weekends tend to be a little less packed than the later ones, but who knows for this year with the crowds. I still think going either really early or night is best because of the heat factor. Earlier is better for characters and such. Just enjoy it and check out the merchandise, it is awesome how much new SW stuff they have every year!
I am getting that feeling that SWW is progressively getting larger than life!

I am hoping to hit up SWW the first weekend it opens, but I have to wait until my sister's school year starts and she finds out:
1. When her prom will be held?
2. What week finals will be given?, which leads to...
3. What week "studying" for finals will be?

I can count out any weekend in June: graduation.

I think I may be "forced" to attend SWW during Memorial Day weekend, which I realize DHS could reach capacity just from SWW guests!

Thank you for your other tips!

Upvote 0

DManRightHere

Onto the questions:
1. When did you attend? 2013 and 2013
2. What were the crowds like? Nuts
3. Any tips or tricks-of-the-trade I should be aware of? Get there early for a parade spot. Don't plan on riding any big rides (except star tours or get a fast pass) and take in the atmosphere instead.
4. Any "must do's?" Death mall. Don't rush through. Wear/buy a Star Wars shirt. Get a photo op with a character. (Head straight to a line after a parade, the characters may not be there yet but is still shorter than a longer line with characters there. It's painfully slow.
5. Did you stay at DHS all day/night (or the night before;))? Morning until I'm sick of the crowds 3-4 hours.

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
HI! OMG if you even like SW a little you'll love SWW!!!!!!!! We made it in for the last day and we were on line at midnight. My boys just had to get Billy D. Williams autograph. It was insane as far as the crowds went, but the people on line that night were some of the NICEST people I have ever met. If you can swing 2 days I would suggest that to be able to see and do everything. We did rope drop and stayed past the Hoopla which is the way to go exhausting but SOOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN. Whatever your budget for merchandise is I'd say to plan on doubling or tripling it. LOL I can't believe how much cool stuff there is to buy. If you have kids I'd sign them up for Jedi Training ASAP as it fill quite quickly and the line is insane!!!!!!!!!!! If you decide to go do not make ADRs for that day as you won't have time for a ts meal. Just enjoy one of the craziest and most fun days of your life. BTW the crowds tend to be bigger for the bigger stars. I'd be there no later than 90 minutes to official opening even if I wasn't waiting for autographs.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I kinda figured we'd have to wait...and wait...and wait some more. I am guessing we will pick 1 celebrity to meet and then enjoy the festivities.
They have been using the fast pass system to do the autographs for the past several years. What you do is line up outside of the park and at some point they will begin to hand out fastpasses. They use to this at park opening but they started doing it much earlier due to the long lines. If you get a guaranteed fastpass it will have the time of an autograph session on it. Those sessions can take around an hour. Depending on your number you might be the first one up or the last, so plan on the hour. If you are not able to get a guaranteed fastpass (there is a finite number of them) you will be given what is called a standby fastpass. For a standby fastpass you will need to start at the first autograph session. If there is time left over after all guarenteed fastpasses have been collected they will start taking standby fastpasses. You might get through on the first session or you might not get through at all.
The big question is always "How early should I get there?". There is no solid, 100% accurate answer to that. A 5:00-6:00 time will be ok for some of the minor celebrities or for the ones that are there for multiple weeks. If it is someone you have heard of before or a fan favorite like Ray Park, 3:00 AM might not be early enough.

Upvote 0

minniemickeyfan

Get a spot early for the parade. Last year it was packed because the route only goes from the entrance to the hat.
Gone every year since 2004 and it's definitely gaining popularity but worth it! Oh and don't miss the characters in the event merchandise shop-last few years its behind RNRC.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

LOVE SWW's and we aren't even really big SW fans ourself. Attending 3 times in the past and will be heading back this May. Below is my take our your questions. Hope this helps!

1. When did you attend? 2012
2. What were the crowds like? INSANE
3. Any tips or tricks-of-the-trade I should be aware of? I am a complete novice when it comes to this event. GET THERE EARLY!!! WE WERE THERE BY 6A
4. Any "must do's?" HYPERSPACE HOOPLA, SW CHARACTER MEET AND GREETS, PARADE
5. Did you stay at DHS all day/night (or the night before;))? WE STAYED TILL MID DAY, WENT BACK to the RESORT for a REST and CAME BACK EARLY EVENING

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom