Polynesian Village name is coming back

tikiman

Original Poster
I reported a while ago that the Polynesian Resort was changing its name back to Polynesian Village. I did not expect to see signs of the change so early. I guess they needed to add the new name to the new jogging signs that just went up at the resort. It now says Disney's Polynesian Village Resort.

hpyhnt 1000

Hmmm...a bit of a mouthful (sort of like the obsession with saying "Magic Kingdom Park®") but a nice gesture nonetheless.

hpyhnt 1000

Do they think this is going to appease those who will not be pleased that DVC is moving in?

It seems that Disney has learned that if you put in old logos or bring back old names, you can get away with anything.

I'm sure they are somewhat hoping for that. Just like the (now) seemingly rampant use of EPCOT Center logos all over Future World.

Its still nice to see Poly Village return. But you're right, its not a consolation for turning the place into another Bay Lake Tower.

tikiman

Original Poster
I'm sure they are somewhat hoping for that. Just like the (now) seemingly rampant use of EPCOT Center logos all over Future World.

Its still nice to see Poly Village return. But you're right, its not a consolation for turning the place into another Bay Lake Tower.

How is it being turned into another Bay Lake tower? Other than adding the bungalows (Something similar was in the original design) they are not adding any buildings. I wonder if anyone really noticed back in 1985 when they added the last two buildings and said anything about them ruining the feel of the resort.

TP2000

No one said a word about the Poly expansion back in '85 because the Internet didn't exist. Back then, when the world changed in minor ways like expanding a hotel people didn't waste time and energy on vast computer networks obsessing over it. It was just a hotel that added a new building, and life went on. I do miss the 20th century sometimes. :)

And good news about Polynesian Village nomenclature coming back. Although the extra words Marketing and Legal feels they must add; "Disney's" and "Resort" kind of ruin it. Let's hope the front line CM's and the Imagineers in charge of signage will do an end run around the humorless dolts in TDO and the Legal department and simply use the phrase "Polynesian Village" in natural conversations with customers and informal references built into the place.

Visitor to CM - "Which monorail goes to the Polynesian Village?"
CM to Visitor - "Oh, the Polynesian Village trains are up that ramp."
Doorman to Visitor "Aloha, welcome to the Polynesian Village!"

That would be nice to see and hear again. And in the real world beyond TDO's vast cubicle farms, that's how the place could operate once again.

travellerman

It's been 30years this year since my first trip to Disney and stayed at the Polynesian Village and to this day its how I refer to it, its just how it slips off my tongue. Now I don't have to feel so old fashioned for calling it the Polynesian Village.

tikiman

Original Poster
No one said a word about the Poly expansion back in '85 because the Internet didn't exist. Back then, when the world changed in minor ways like expanding a hotel people didn't waste time and energy on vast computer networks obsessing over it. It was just a hotel that added a new building, and life went on. I do miss the 20th century sometimes. :)

And good news about Polynesian Village nomenclature coming back. Although the extra words Marketing and Legal feels they must add; "Disney's" and "Resort" kind of ruin it. Let's hope the front line CM's and the Imagineers in charge of signage will do an end run around the humorless dolts in TDO and the Legal department and simply use the phrase "Polynesian Village" in natural conversations with customers and informal references built into the place.

Visitor to CM - "Which monorail goes to the Polynesian Village?"
CM to Visitor - "Oh, the Polynesian Village trains are up that ramp."
Doorman to Visitor "Aloha, welcome to the Polynesian Village!"

That would be nice to see and hear again. And in the real world beyond TDO's vast cubicle farms, that's how the place could operate once again.

Actually they will all be trained to say " welcome to Walt Disney World's Polynesian Village Resort and Villas". We will start refering to it on here as WDWPVRV for short. I will just call it Polyville.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Actually they will all be trained to say " welcome to Walt Disney World's Polynesian Village Resort and Villas". We will start refering to it on here as WDWPVRV for short. I will just call it Polyville.

I only "like" this for its total absurdity and absolute overkill. If you didn't already know, I mean, if you really couldn't figure out you're on disney property by the time you hit the Poly, man...you got problems larger than your resort bill.

TP2000

Hmm, I never knew it was called that before. I like it, seems more authentic I guess.

That's what it was called from the time it opened in 1971 to around the 1990's.

It seems more authentic to you because it is. It's not blandly corporate and fake with a thick layer of marketing blather on top, like most of the stuff they come up with in TDO nowadays. MAGICAL! DREAMS! SOCIAL MEDIA!

Back when things were real, and Walt Disney World had legit local charm....
wdw1972_p4.jpg

fp300300LARGE.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How is it being turned into another Bay Lake tower? Other than adding the bungalows (Something similar was in the original design) they are not adding any buildings. I wonder if anyone really noticed back in 1985 when they added the last two buildings and said anything about them ruining the feel of the resort.
Adding on scrubland is one thing. Building in the lagoon is another.

tikiman

Original Poster
That's what it was called from the time it opened in 1971 to around the 1990's.

It seems more authentic to you because it is. It's not blandly corporate and fake with a thick layer of marketing blather on top, like most of the stuff they come up with in TDO nowadays. MAGICAL! DREAMS! SOCIAL MEDIA!

Back when things were real, and Walt Disney World had legit local charm....
wdw1972_p4.jpg

fp300300LARGE.jpg

They dropped the name "Village" in 1985

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom