Disney to expand cancellation fees to all table service restaurants at Walt Disney World

G00fyDad

Its about time. I love this idea. I am pretty tired of guests booking several ADRs and then just not showing up for any but the one they want. I've known several self-righteous people that have done this. They actually think it is well within their rights to horde as many ADRs as they want.

phi2134

I have no problem with this, it takes care of people book multiple reservations and just picking where they want to go an hour before the reservation. I am a little , but this I think will help people who like to plan out there vacation beforehand, but you will have to stick to your plan.

CDavid

I don't have a problem with a fee for no-shows. However, 24 hours advance is much too early a deadline.

People may very well not know they need to cancel until well into the day of the reservation. A few hours notice would be more reasonable (say, noon for a dinner reservation?). If a cancelled table cannot be filled by walk-ups or last minute reservations, then it seems likely there would often have been empty tables anyway.

lebeau

I don't have a problem with a fee for no-shows. However, 24 hours advance is much too early a deadline.

People may very well not know they need to cancel until well into the day of the reservation. A few hours notice would be more reasonable (say, noon for a dinner reservation?). If a cancelled table cannot be filled by walk-ups or last minute reservations, then it seems likely there would often have been empty tables anyway.

Exactly.

When this roled out in Oct '11, I told my horror story repeatedly. I won't dredge it up again. But I have been on the wrong end of a Disney World cancellation fee and I'm bitter about it 3 years later.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I hope guest services is properly staffed.

Personally this will keep us from making ADR and will likely just do counter service. Not that we make multiple ressies but frequently cancel day of because we wanted to do something different. I could see $10 per ressie, but per person makes it not worth the risk.

MissM

We've had to cancel on a reservation with only a few hours notice before when we got on I-4 and found ourselves gridlocked in bumper-to-bumper traffic due to an accident or such. I would hope too that they would allow for exceptions to the 24-hour rule given things like that are completely outside one's control.

Also, is this retroactive? Since ADR's can be booked 6 months in advance, if you booked one prior to the October 31st start date, does that mean it still applies to your reservation?

In theory, I think there should be something to help curb double bookings and to free up space for people who could otherwise not get a table, but I worry about the plethora of things that might mean you don't even know you can't make it until less than the 24-hour cutoff.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
We've had to cancel on a reservation with only a few hours notice before when we got on I-4 and found ourselves gridlocked in bumper-to-bumper traffic due to an accident or such. I would hope too that they would allow for exceptions to the 24-hour rule given things like that are completely outside one's control.

Also, is this retroactive? Since ADR's can be booked 6 months in advance, if you booked one prior to the October 31st start date, does that mean it still applies to your reservation?

In theory, I think there should be something to help curb double bookings and to free up space for people who could otherwise not get a table, but I worry about the plethora of things that might mean you don't even know you can't make it until less than the 24-hour cutoff.
It only applies to reservations made from Oct 31.

lebeau

I have cancelled at current fee ones within 24 hrs and not been charged. If you have a reasonable excuse for cancelling (ie. we had a sick member in our party) they have the discretion to waive the fee. At least that's been my experience.

I had the opposite experience.

asianway

Very happy they're finally doing this - it's impossible to get a reservation at a lot of the good restaurants & half the time they have no-shows. I hope this will reduce the amount of reservations made so people who actually show up can get a better chance of getting the time that they want.
Most of the "good" restuarants already have the policy...has it been easier to walk in since implemented?

Figaro928

Do people really make several reservations??? Seems silly & selfish

Also - with the MME stuff you can't overlap reservations - it was incredibly hard to make two separate reservations when my group was going to split up one night - We couldn't do so on the computer - needed to call it in since the site insisted we couldn't do 2 reservations at the same time. We couldn't even overlap FP+'s with our dining reservations without it at least notifying us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom