Ariel's new look!

Bocabear

The off the shoulder design is not correct for a demure princess either...It is just too stylized and modernized....The older outfit was a better identity dress. I like the added sparkles...

IWantMyMagicBand

The off the shoulder design is not correct for a demure princess either...It is just too stylized and modernized....The older outfit was a better identity dress. I like the added sparkles...
Exactly, she's 16! The fact that her father is not like most fathers, and let her marry someone at that age, should not detract from that.

TP2000

Uh didn't Ariel have blue eyes???

Of course she did, in both the Disney version and the original Danish version by Hans Christian Andersen. Ariel was created from a Scandinavian point of reference.

But who cares about those details??? Just put a brown eyed twentysomething in a sparkly blue dress, and get her out on the floor! There are shifts to fill! The lunch crowd is coming in and they made these reservations 180 days ago!

ToTBellHop

Of course she did, in both the Disney version and the original Danish version by Hans Christian Andersen. Ariel was created from a Scandinavian point of reference.

But who cares about those details??? Just put a brown eyed twentysomething in a sparkly blue dress, and get her out on the floor! There are shifts to fill! The lunch crowd is coming in and they made these reservations 180 days ago!
Everyone knows Ariel's blues only appear blue due to the turquoise waters she swims in. Legged-Ariel's have brown eyes.

IWantMyMagicBand

Jim Carrey will be playing Eddie Murphy in the new movie about his life. He's a comedian, tall, dark hair. I'm not missing anything obvious am I?!?!

I totally agree with your post, they have the money, send any product out to the floor.

The Empress Lilly

Girls over-identify with blond, blue-eyed princesses. They sell more merch, their movies are more succesful. But demography is moving the other direction. There aren't all that many blue-eyed young American girls anymore to play these princesses for real. When Walt made Cinderella, a majority of Americans had blue eyes. Today, only one in six has.

GiveMeTheMusic

This is also becoming a problem at DLR. The new princess location creates an astonishing amount of shifts that didn't exist before and frankly, there are too many princesses. The look is not consistent like it once was.

MissAlmyra

The new dress uses absolutely gorgeous fabric on the bottom, I love how it's supposed to sparkle like water. The fabric choice for the new sleeves is weird, and I liked the shape of bodice on the older dress. I'm also missing the starfish in her hair! It was quirky.
As for eye color, I've seen quite a few Princesses wearing colored contact lenses, but I know from experience that some brands aren't very noticeable in photographs.

lebeau

I try not to think about the actual ages of the Princesses too much, as that way lies madness. (Snow White is supposed to be 14!)

I know what you mean.

Before I had kids, I took The Little Mermaid at face value. After I had kids (daughters) I started watching it with them and my entire prespective changed. How great is it that Ariel thinks that on the surface they don't reprimand their daughters? HA!

For one, she's 16. Presumably she was 16 on the wedding day, but maybe time passed. Maybe they had a long engagement and Ariel was actually 18 on her wedding day. I keep telling myself that.

But then look at the deal she made with Ursula. It's the worst deal ever. She has three days to make a complete stranger - royalty, no less - fall in love with her. That's a tall order in and of itself. There's no guarantee she'll even see Prince Eric in three days. What if he went out to sea? She'd be screwed.

If she fails, she belongs to Ursula. Which, judging by all the creepy unfortunate souls living in torment all around the entrance to Ursula's cave, that can't be a good thing. Ariel swam right past them. Everything about that swim says, "Get the hell out of here!" There are warning signs everywhere that this lady is not on the up-and-up.

But even if she succeeds, she will become human and never see her family again. She will never see the single dad who raised her or any of her six sisters again. She's going to disappear from her large family without explanation or even a goodbye.

Not to mention she knows nothing about the surface world. It's like an alien planet to her. She's giving up her culture, her family, her entire world, everything she has ever known (for all of her 16 years) for a crush on some sailor prince she has never spoken to!

That alone would be a terrible, terrible bargain. But then she gives up her voice as payment. And nowhere in the deal does it state that Ariel would get her voice back even if she holds up her end. Her voice was payment. She only got it back because the container holding it cracked. Had the deal gone according to plan, Ariel would have lived as a mute for the rest of her life.

And then, Ariel never once writes a message to Eric stating that she is the girl who saved his life. How hard is it to explain that you used to be able to sing but now you have lost your voice? I'm going to assume that the mer-alphabet is completely different from ours. Because otherwise, Ariel is just too stupid to live.

When I watch the Little Mermaid now, I am horrified by all of the terrible decisions Ariel (and Sebastian whi is really no better) make. All the sudden, I'm siding with King Triton up until he goes soft at the end.

Tigger1999

I liked the original one better...I'm not liking the sleeves on the dress. But still is very cute but I did like the starfish in her hair too

Fable McCloud

I'm rather fond of the shorter sleeve dress, but the long works. It does look like a teal version of the dress she wore in the movie, and I like that aspect, but dear god Disney, give the girl a wig that ACTUALLY looks like Ariel's hair please! Put something in it, like a comb, starfish, shell, fork, hell I'd even take a bow! She looks like me in my red wig, just wavy and there. No swoopy bangs, nothing! Besides, Ariel's hair isn't wavy. When she's on land her hair is straight.

I'm ranting because I hate the new princess hairstyles. Cinderella looks sloppy, Aurora's is horrendous, and Belle's was prettier before. At least they can't mess Snow, Tiana, or Rapunzel up too much. And Jasmine's is the same as before.

Sensitive spot for me since I style wigs. Sadly, some of the cosplayers I've worked with have better Princess looks than the costumes and wigs they use in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom