Remember Me? (Spectromagic Related)

wdw71fan

Original Poster
The "13 Reflections of Evil" Disney trading event was this weekend... There was a display of Chernabog hovering over a village... Does he look familiar? Because to the Spectromagic faithful, he sure should :)

chernabog.jpg

For Comparison
3723620734_bdaa16c6aa_z.jpg

Spectromagic, gone but not completely ....;)

Magenta Panther

I know you're being sarcastic, lebeau, but still...NUTS to the parents of all the scared children. Disney would have to close down half the park if that were any kind of issue. Last year I rode the Great Movie Ride, and the little girl behind me was scared half out of her wits. And Mickey's Philharmagic has been known to scare some kids too. PLUS some parents have no right to complain. I've seen parents drag scared little kids onto Tower of Terror. Despicable. ANYWAY - I agree with folks here that WDW should have a major villain attraction, possibly a Haunted Forest section of New Fantasyland with a dark ride that celebrates all the great Disney villains. That's a Potter Swatter if there ever was one. The most minor Disney villain beats Voldemort any day!

WDWDad13

Yes. They NEED this. That way they can be flooded with complaints from the parents of all the scared children. Maybe they could bring back AE while they are at it!

ya mean like Stitch, Dinosaur, Haunted Mansion, Tough to be a Bug, Tower of Terror, the old Snow White ride, and parts of the Halloween Party lol

bhg469

I would love this and I mentioned in the other thread, a mirror image of fantasy land would be amazing. I fear that many spinners would cause local brown outs though.

Sped2424

villains land could go right behind the haunted mansion, with a lot of reworking. They have a huge untapped area over there.

lebeau

I know you're being sarcastic, lebeau, but still...NUTS to the parents of all the scared children. Disney would have to close down half the park if that were any kind of issue. Last year I rode the Great Movie Ride, and the little girl behind me was scared half out of her wits. And Mickey's Philharmagic has been known to scare some kids too. PLUS some parents have no right to complain. I've seen parents drag scared little kids onto Tower of Terror. Despicable. ANYWAY - I agree with folks here that WDW should have a major villain attraction, possibly a Haunted Forest section of New Fantasyland with a dark ride that celebrates all the great Disney villains. That's a Potter Swatter if there ever was one. The most minor Disney villain beats Voldemort any day!

I understand, but you're not being realistic. The Villains had a character breakfast for a while. It was quickly scuttled. If the Villains can't support a single character meal, how do you expect a land to go over? Like a lead balloon.

Used sparingly, the villains work. Push too far and you have Snow White's Scary Adventure. Which was acceptable when I was a kid, but won't fly today. You can make your own judgement on whether or not that is how things should be. But it's how things are.

You can use the villains extensively on something like MNSSHP because people know what to expect. It's a Halloween party. Some minor scares are expected. Same reason the Haunted Mansion works. Also, at MNSSHP, the villains are easily avoided by guests who wish to do so.

But a Villains Land? No way. The number one Disney demo would either be afraid to enter or worse would enter anyway and complain about it.

Also, I think die hard fans vastly over-estimate the appeal of the villains. I can not over-state how much the fans over-estimate the appeal of the villains to the general population. When you have some limited engagement, it works because the small, devoted fan base turns out. But the general public is either ambilivalent about villains or (if they have small children) consider them something to be avoided.

A permanent land dedicated to villains would appeal greatly to a very small amount of the tourists at Disney World. A population that was at least as large would avoid it or complain about it. And the vast majority wouldn't care much one way or the other. Disney has a lot of other properties it could use that have broader appeal than the villains.

ya mean like Stitch, Dinosaur, Haunted Mansion, Tough to be a Bug, Tower of Terror, the old Snow White ride, and parts of the Halloween Party lol

Stitch gets a lot of complaints. But it was basically a cheap and easy way of replacing AE with something they hoped would appeal to kids more. Disney miscalculated.

Dinosaur and Tower of Terror have height restrictions.

The old Snow White ride got replaced precisely for this reason.

The Halloween Party is a limited engagement where the villains are easily avoided by those who don't want to engage them.

Obviously there are certain expectations of an attraction called The Haunted Mansion. Not to mention the decades of history. However, since you bring it up, I'm not sure Disney would build a haunted attraction in Orlando today.

Your response is just to list a bunch of potentially scary rides. There are more. Some kids are scared of Pirates. My youngest was scared of Ursula in The Littler Mermaid. But there's a difference between attractions having dark or scary elements and building a permanent land that you know before a single dollar is spend will be avoided by a large segment of your core customer base and will drive complaints just by the nature of the theme.

lebeau

Or they ignore those guest complaints ... parents need more responsibility for their own actions rather than blaming other organizations for their mishaps.

Yes, that seems like a sound business decision. :facepalm:

You may be right about the quality of parenting today. But that will be cold comfort to Disney when they have invested their resources in a permanent headache.

BiffyClyro

The "13 Reflections of Evil" Disney trading event was this weekend... There was a display of Chernabog hovering over a village... Does he look familiar? Because to the Spectromagic faithful, he sure should :)

chernabog.jpg

For Comparison
3723620734_bdaa16c6aa_z.jpg

Spectromagic, gone but not completely ....;)

Great picture! They always used to have trouble with this float! It went through phases of not opening! :D

I miss spectromagic so much!

Magenta Panther

Fooey. A Villain's Character breakfast didn't work? What the heck does that prove? I'll tell you what it proves - that the Villains were totally out of their element in such a situation. Villains SCARE people - they don't HUG them, for crying out loud. No wonder that stupid stunt failed. Whereas in their own, properly-written-and-designed Land, they could be in their element. Being evil and anti-wishes-and-dreams and etc. Fighting against the Disney Heroes. Being VILLAINS. That's what people want of them. IMO, a Villain's land or dark ride or attraction would do gangbusters. The proof? That Unleash the Villains stunt on Sept. 13 that drew huge crowds. WDW was blown away by the response. A Haunted Forest would draw the boy demo that Disney craves, and pretty much every other demo too. It's a no-brainer. TDO would be foolish not to make proper use of one of Disney's most valuable assets - its VILLAINS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom