Halloween Horror Nights 2013 Question

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
I am headed there this year and it will be the first time for everyone in my group. I apologize if this is a stupid question, but hopefully can put our nerves at ease.

I'm very excited to go but I'm a little concerned. I'm 6'2, 240 , so me and tight spaces don't do so well sometimes. Ive been to other haunted attractions thorugh out the US and we have had to crawl or slide in the hauted houses to either get out of the attraction or continue through.

I realize 2013 may be different, but in the past, have guests had to crawl or do anything but walk to get through? I'm going with people and I'd rather cause an issue for others if I'm not going to be able to get through without freaking out.

Sorry if this question sounds childish and all, but I'm so excited just worried I guess.

Any insight would be great. THANKS!

JT3000

Some houses, especially in the event's early years, have had sections where you do more than just walk through. I believe one even had a slide. However, this is not the norm, and with the extremely large number of people attending the event, they want to get people through as quickly as possible. So most houses are pretty straightforward in this respect. The houses are also ADA compliant, so they don't rely heavily on tight spaces.

Last edited:

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
Some houses, especially in the event's early years, have had sections where you do more than just walk through. I believe one even had a slide. However, this is not the norm, and with the extremely large number of people attending the event, they want to get people through as quickly as possible. So most houses are pretty straightforward in this respect. The houses are also ADA compliant, so they don't rely heavily on tight spaces.

Awesome. Thanks for the insight. I just didn't want to ruin all of my friends evening by being "that guy" in the houses. I can't wait to go now!

71jason

Last year one house had a section where you had to duck--first time I remember that in 12 years. Even then, there was a (still themed) "bypass" hallway, to make the house ADA complient. You should be fine.

tahqa

Last year one house had a section where you had to duck--first time I remember that in 12 years. Even then, there was a (still themed) "bypass" hallway, to make the house ADA complient. You should be fine.
Yeah, the classic horror house had about a 15 - 20 foot long section that you pretty much had to duck walk through. I seriously hated that house...

CtDisneyGuy33

Original Poster
Yeah, the classic horror house had about a 15 - 20 foot long section that you pretty much had to duck walk through. I seriously hated that house...

I probably wouldn't mind that, but might use the walkaround if available. I asked because Ive been to the Headless Horseman HH in upstate NY and another big one down in Philly area, and one you need to slide out a "catacomb" to get out and the other had a walkway that got progressively tighter and smaller as you crawled through. At 6'2", the spaces get kind of smaller faster than others, which kind of freaks me out.

We just bought Fast passes for the HHN as well, so I'd like to hit them all if possible. I just didn't want to be the guy who gets stuck or freaks..lol.

timeman

Like everybody else is saying the houses at HHN are ADA compliant. A couple of years ago they had a house that had a slanted floor and to make it ADA compliant they had a flat section for people who couldn't go on the slanted floor to go through. If you are able to swing the extra cost I would highly recommend doing the Unmasking The Horror Tour. They take you through 3 houses with the lights on and explain the details about those houses. You are able to take photos and ask questions about the houses during the tour. It's a great way to see the details that you miss when walking through the houses at night.

OFTeric

1237615_10151607104869205_1227190166_n.jpg

71jason

Anyone remember the first weekend of Disorentorium? That inflatable wall you had to push through was nuts and hell on the line.

Oh yeah, think I experienced it in its original form exactly once. Heard rumors it got "deflated" because of ADA, or because it slowed guest flow, or because some drunk popped it. Whatever the reason, it was a clever idea in theory but kind of annoying in practice.

Timekeeper

In 2012, the House of Horrors contained a portion that required guests to "bend over" and walk through a "tunnel-like" section approximately 4 1/2 feet tall, but I think that Universal learned their lesson with that little experiment. It caused some confusion and slowed down guest pace, which is fine to do at the entrance of a house but never something that you'd want to do mid-house. Also, the portion above the guests in the tunnel was a type of netting material, so people were getting their purse and backpack straps and buckles tangled up in it. We're not likely to see something like that implemented again.

house-of-horrors-550x383.jpg

Most of the houses are relatively straightforward walk-throughs, and just fine for the people in my party, many of whom are taller than the OP. Sometimes there will be floor sections that are slightly angled (like in The Forsaken, 2011) for thematic effect, but they are by no means like tourist-trap fun-houses. And like others have mentioned, Universal's goals are to accommodate as many types of people and disabilities as possible, and move people through the houses as quickly as possible. So don't expect for there to be unmanageable obstacles along the way.

Rest assured that the most bending over that guests will have to do is when they purchase their event tickets. o_O

OFTeric

In 2012, the House of Horrors contained a portion that required guests to "bend over" and walk through a "tunnel-like" section approximately 4 1/2 feet tall, but I think that Universal learned their lesson with that little experiment. It caused some confusion and slowed down guest pace, which is fine to do at the entrance of a house but never something that you'd want to do mid-house. Also, the portion above the guests in the tunnel was a type of netting material, so people were getting their purse and backpack straps and buckles tangled up in it. We're not likely to see something like that implemented again.

house-of-horrors-550x383.jpg

Most of the houses are relatively straightforward walk-throughs, and just fine for the people in my party, many of whom are taller than the OP. Sometimes there will be floor sections that are slightly angled (like in The Forsaken, 2011) for thematic effect, but they are by no means like tourist-trap fun-houses. And like others have mentioned, Universal's goals are to accommodate as many types of people and disabilities as possible, and move people through the houses as quickly as possible. So don't expect for there to be unmanageable obstacles along the way.

Rest assured that the most bending over that guests will have to do is when they purchase their event tickets. o_O

In the Walking Dead house this year there is a crouching section.

Skip

Oh great. For a long time? Tight quarters? Is there a walkaround?

There will be a walk around if you don't want to do it. It's the same length and location as the crawl space in the aforementioned House of Horrors.

As for the inflatable walls in Disorientorium... it also appeared at the conclusion of Jack's Clown-O-Vision (you were supposed to be exiting through Jack's !) and Reflections of Fear, twice (it served as the time machine mechanic). I understand that both years it was turned off a week or two into the event. Crazy awesome feature, but it doesn't play well with stupid guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom