Magic Bands wear or not to wear

mickeysbrother

Original Poster
Was looking around on the new Disney web site which i might add is a nice new crisp refreshing look.

Disney said that if you do not want to wear the magic band and have Disney know your every move in the parks you can opt out and still get a rfid card only.

So from what im getting is that disney has rfid long range readers all over the park and they can track your every move. Pretty interesting concept. They can figure out where crowds gather more and they can work around ways to shorten times add shows and stuff. Pretty interesting part of the rfid from a business point of view. But i wonder how many people are going to want disney to know their every move. Hmmmm Your thoughts.

Maerj

They are not tracking your movements with the card or magic bands. There are readers set up in the parks that will allow them to know how many people have entered a certain area, that way they have a better idea of how many people are in line and where. Then they will send out characters or a show or whatever to better disperse the crowd. It's really not that big of a deal.

Tim_4

They are not tracking your movements with the card or magic bands. There are readers set up in the parks that will allow them to know how many people have entered a certain area, that way they have a better idea of how many people are in line and where. Then they will send out characters or a show or whatever to better disperse the crowd. It's really not that big of a deal.
Right. Also the long range RFID stuff requires a battery, so the cards won't have it.

Anotherfaceinthecrowd

Right. Also the long range RFID stuff requires a battery, so the cards won't have it.
But all they need is long range readers and the would able to locate you now from your fastpasses (paper) and if you have your card details on it the could find all the times you have used it where and win, Just so you know I'm all for the magic bands :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The "long range RFID" is bluetooth. While Low Power, it does require a battery.

The form factor of the card does not allow for this.

The card has no transmitter, which means that the power comes from the reader, hence it is short range only as the card needs to be in close proximity to the reader to obtain power.

The band has a battery powered bluetooth transmitter in it. This is what will be used for larger traffic study / park "heat" maps, etc...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The "long range RFID" is bluetooth. While Low Power, it does require a battery.

The form factor of the card does not allow for this.

The card has no transmitter, which means that the power comes from the reader, hence it is short range only as the card needs to be in close proximity to the reader to obtain power.

The band has a battery powered bluetooth transmitter in it. This is what will be used for larger traffic study / park "heat" maps, etc...
So if enough people opt out of the bands and carry the cards they have just undermined a 3 billion dollar boondoggle.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So if enough people opt out of the bands and carry the cards they have just undermined a 3 billion dollar boondoggle.
Or they just start fiddling with the form factor of the "band".

Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't do something like the "fitbit"...where you have a single unit that can be put into multiple types of "holsters"...be it a belt clip, a band, a necklace, etc...

If the bands fail to catch on, this modification wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Clamman73

Or they just start fiddling with the form factor of the "band".

Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't do something like the "fitbit"...where you have a single unit that can be put into multiple types of "holsters"...be it a belt clip, a band, a necklace, etc...

If the bands fail to catch on, this modification wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I see the second gen Magic Band being like the fitbit flex with LEDs in them that automatically light up when it's your fastpass time or the like...because they're watching you...

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I see the second gen Magic Band being like the fitbit flex with LEDs in them that automatically light up when it's your fastpass time or the like...because they're watching you...
Taking this a step further...

Put the magic band in the Mickey Ears... then they can be like Glow with the Show since they will already know your specific location at all times.

JimboJones123

It takes 20 seconds to read my RFID when going through the gate. How the heck are they going to monitor my tinkle times?

ToyStoryMiss

If we go next year..yeah I'd much rather opt out of the magic band, I'd rather have the card. :happy:
I don't want them tracking my every move..nope nope nope.
It would still be like the same card as the current ones (room keys), right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom