Going to HIlton Head for the first time...

artvandelay

Original Poster
Heading down to Disney's Hilton Head resort next week for the first time. Any one have any tips or advice on things to do or places to eat?

Ariel484

Kayak tour (Disney or otherwise - we bought a Groupon for a tour with Sea Monkeys Watersports) and Disney's dolphin tour were the highlights of our trip. For dinners we really liked Giuseppi's, Wise Guys and Red Fish. Also, don't miss Sweet Carolina Cupcakes. Soooo tasty. :)

Last edited:

artvandelay

Original Poster
Kayak tour (Disney or otherwise - we bought a Groupon for a tour with Sea Monkeys Watersports) and Disney's dolphin tour were the highlights of our trip. For dinners we really liked Giuseppi's, Wise Guys and Red Fish. Also, don't miss Carolina Cupcakes. Soooo tasty. :)
Thanks.

toolsnspools

I started a similar thread before my trip earlier this year. Plenty of good advice in that thread - http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/i-deas-for-1day-at-hhi.863223/. We loved HHI and are planning to do a whole week there in the not too distant future. One place that we really enjoyed was the Smokehouse (http://www.smokehousehhi.com/). I like asking the locals where to go and what to do. The smokehouse was recommended by the bus driver to the beach house, the front desk clerk, and a lifeguard at the pool. Plan on taking a day to rent bikes and explore the island that way as well.

Not sure who's going with you, but if you walk to the point of the island furthest from the bridge, it's a great place to catch the sunset. I got a lot of brownie points for taking DW down there the evening we were there. :D

Fair warning, the island is probably not like anything you've seen before. You can't see the Walmart sign from the back of the Walmart parking lot because everything is kept very natural and there are trees everywhere. There are very few (if any) lit sign's on the island, so finding restaurants, gas stations, etc. can be very difficult. Get a good map of the island from the front desk, and have a good idea where you're going before you head out.

DisDadWoz

We were there the last week in July, but really didn't go out for dinner much as we cooked in our kitchen. If you are staying longer than a few days rent the bikes to get around. We actually walked to the beach house each day which isn't bad, but it isn't close at about a mile and a half each way. Bring the sunscreen! We did the pirate BBQ and it really was not that good in our opinion. As noted above, get REALLY good directions/map as nothing is really marked like it is elsewhere. We spent some time at Sea Pines resort which is HUGE. Salty Dog, Harbor Town, etc., were well worth the trip down. Go to the top of the lighthouse there and take some pics. Morning kayaking seemed to be the best adventure. Finally, if you have an opportunity to take a drive down to Savannah, do it and soak in some of the history. Most of all, have fun!!!

Ariel484

One other thing I forgot to mention...when we were checking in (last week of July) the CM gave us a list of restaurants that have a deal with Disney. If we showed our KTTW card we got 10% off...2 of the places we were planning on going were on that list (Wise Guys and Giuseppi's). Other restaurants also have Early Dining Discounts - we went to Wise Guys and Red Fish before 6 and at Wise Guys we get 20% off our bill, Red Fish had a special early dining menu where we could have gotten soup/salad, entree and a a glass of wine for $15 (a STEAL for such a great restaurant).

Last edited:

toolsnspools

One other thing I forgot to mention...when we were checking in (last week of July) the CM gave us a list of restaurants that have a deal with Disney. If we showed our KTTW card we got 10% off...2 of the places we were planning on going were on that list (Wise Guys and Giuseppi's). Other restaurants also have Early Dining Discounts - we went to Wise GUys and Red Fish before 6 and at Wise Guys we get 20% off our bill, Red Fish had a special early dining menu where we could have gotten soup/salad, entree and a a glass of wine for $15 (a STEAL for such a great restaurant).
Forgot about the KTTW card discounts. That's a great tip.

DizneyPryncess

Hilton Head is such a beautiful place! I've been going there since I was a kid, and besides WDW, it's my favorite place to travel. I've only visited the Disney resort there twice, but haven't had a chance to actually stay there. It's very cute! It gives me a Disney fix, but is still very HHI.

For food, we love Marley's, Aunt Chilada's, Truffles, Salty Dog Cafe and Sweet Carolina Cupcakes (for dessert). Shopping in Coligny is one of our favorite things to do, as well as renting bikes and biking along the bike paths. Definitely head into Harbor Town for lunch one afternoon. It's such a nice place - you can see the lighthouse, sit in the rocking chairs & watch the boats. Salty Dog Cafe is in South Beach Marina, and is a must visit for me. I love the marina, and sitting outside at the cafe.

If you're into nature walks, do not miss Pinckney Island. I'm a bird watcher & a nature walk type of person. I'm there almost each morning of my trip. It's just off the island, and is spectacular for that sort of thing.

Alright, that's enough from me I guess, haha. Have a wonderful trip!!! :)

Simba's Mom

HHI is one of my favorite places. DH confessed it's his absolute favorite-even more than WDW! We own points there and go every year. Keep your eyes open around the resort-Dolphins have often been seen in the marsh area. For food recommendations, ask Gordon in the mercantile-he's a chef and very knowledgeable. We love Black Marlin, Sea Shack (very non-fancy), and Kenny B's. Used to love Roastfish and Cornbread, but reviews on trip advisor say it's really gone downhill lately. HHI is our "go-to" place for Thanksgiving. A nature walk thru Sea Pines Forest Preserve is really nice too.

Tater tot

I'm lucky and live 35 miles from HHI and go over there a lot to eat out and shop. Look up tripadvisor dot com for places to eat. I use that website all the time to see where I want to eat at. HHI is a very beautiful area. Enjoy.

Tater tot

At HH right now and you were right. This place is amazing. Thanks for all the advice.

Oh, forgot to say. If you like sweets, do try and find the Sweet Carolina Cupcakes shop. In my opinion they give WDW a run for their money with them. They have another shop in Savannah and I stop there all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom