Backlot Tour "addition"

dadddio

I was wondering why Planes was only being shown at the cinema on a sunday and at 10.30, but I really did think it was Pixar... but then I thought MU has only just come out...
But the whole Walt's Plane with eyes thing, stupid, very stupid. Destroy history why don't you!
Our local theater is playing eight times a day.

raymusiccity

Your post caused me to question my position. To check how far off base I was, I showed the page two pics to the biggest Disney lover that I know, my wife. She's a huge fan of Walt and has an aerospace admin background. As such, she is particularly fond of that particular G-159. She said that the changes were 'cute'. She then asked me why I asked and I explained that some people are saying that it is tasteless and shameless. She replied 'They're just stickers'.

Finally, a voice of reason in the wilderness!

Black Pearl

I get both sides and really see it as no different than many of the other "stunts" the company has pulled over the years for promoting movies or events.

If it were a promotion for perhaps the greatest film Disney has released in 20 years, then it might be perceived differently. Since it is one of the "frivolous comedy fares", it gets flamed.

The Optimist game currently going on is much larger, and actually took non-members/guests/etc into Club 33, Walt's apartment, and other famous areas of Walt's life that were "altered" in ways to fit with the game and promoting a movie that isn't slated for release till the end of 2014. There doesn't seem to be much complaining over that, and in fact has peopled enthralled.

Sped2424

Now I get both parties here, but as long as they aren't literally spray painting eyes on to the plane permanently I don't see the immediate issue. However the promotion itself is tacky but no matter its only temporary I would get up in arms if they decided to kill the plane off entirely.I too love all things Walt and his history, but if this is only a temporary promotion, (which it is) no matter how ugly it is, it will still fade away. So in the mean time think of it as a fun nod to the film and when its gone you can talk about that one time it was there to your kids or friends. No matter how terrible planes is, which guys it is, this promotion is gonna end someday. So lets all be friends no need for getting mean.

pumpkin7

Our local theater is playing eight times a day.

Where are you based? We're in the UK. I suppose it might be a teaser release. I'm not sure when its out over her properly. I just know that we've been saturated by Lone Ranger adverts and posters etc, but we've hardly seen anything at all for Planes.

dadddio

Where are you based? We're in the UK. I suppose it might be a teaser release. I'm not sure when its out over her properly. I just know that we've been saturated by Lone Ranger adverts and posters etc, but we've hardly seen anything at all for Planes.
We are in the US. The official release date in the UK is the 16th.

lego606

MagicBandit
Ugh, I just google-imaged the castle to see if it was a bad as I remembered.

2130354.jpg

JimboJones123

The new audio track went live yesterday.

There is a throw in line at the jet fighters about them being real characters, even though the planes have not been updated yet.

The part about the Disney Plane has the director of Planes come on and talks about the plane. It is basically the same script as before, just done by a different person. The main reference to the eyes says the plane is "getting into the spirit of the movie" which plays very respectful.

It never once states that it is a plane from the movie. It is like park ops knew what would be complained about here before the project saw a green light. It plays nice and is still very respectful.

Side note, who bothered to really pay any kind of attention to this plane before now anyways? In fact, how many on this board make it a point to visit the Back Lot Tour anyways? Especially with the intent of seeing such a sacred plane? 0.0%. Not until there was a change does anybody give a flying flip.

Side note: How dare they hace 2 Herbies on the Back Lot Tour! He is a single character! Children will be scarred for life because of this. At least reference one being a stunt double! See how stupid getting hyper defensive/excited about scrapes in the "boneyard" is?

Tom

Beta Return
The new audio track went live yesterday.

There is a throw in line at the jet fighters about them being real characters, even though the planes have not been updated yet.

The part about the Disney Plane has the director of Planes come on and talks about the plane. It is basically the same script as before, just done by a different person. The main reference to the eyes says the plane is "getting into the spirit of the movie" which plays very respectful.

It never once states that it is a plane from the movie. It is like park ops knew what would be complained about here before the project saw a green light. It plays nice and is still very respectful.

Side note, who bothered to really pay any kind of attention to this plane before now anyways? In fact, how many on this board make it a point to visit the Back Lot Tour anyways? Especially with the intent of seeing such a sacred plane? 0.0%. Not until there was a change does anybody give a flying flip.

Side note: How dare they hace 2 Herbies on the Back Lot Tour! He is a single character! Children will be scarred for life because of this. At least reference one being a stunt double! See how stupid getting hyper defensive/excited about scrapes in the "boneyard" is?

Thanks for the update. Here's hoping the eyes and mouth simply peel off when they're done with the promotion.

As for the plane and the tour....we take the backlot tour every time we visit. Sure, it's partly because there's an under-abundance of attractions in the park, but I guess I also just don't want to let it go. I'll take the tour until it's bulldozed, even though it's am embarrassingly empty shell of its former self.

And every time we ride it, I especially look out for the plane. Much like One Man's Dream, I enjoy being close to - and seeing - anything that had to do directly with Walt.

I may be in a minority, but I figured I'd answer you question :)

JimboJones123

Thanks for the update. Here's hoping the eyes and mouth simply peel off when they're done with the promotion.

As for the plane and the tour....we take the backlot tour every time we visit. Sure, it's partly because there's an under-abundance of attractions in the park, but I guess I also just don't want to let it go. I'll take the tour until it's bulldozed, even though it's am embarrassingly empty shell of its former self.

And every time we ride it, I especially look out for the plane. Much like One Man's Dream, I enjoy being close to - and seeing - anything that had to do directly with Walt.

I may be in a minority, but I figured I'd answer you question :)
Thanks for the reply. I am sure it will be back to normal 2 months after the DVD comes out. If the attractuon is still around.

Ralphlaw

Just to throw in a curve, we just got back from Carsland at California Adventure, and it's great. I don't know how much space they have available in the backlot, but obviously a resurrection of the area to a Carsland type "land" with perhaps Planes thrown in somewhere along the way would make major sense. The problem, who would want to ride Test Track after zipping around on Radiator Springs Racers? No comparison.

awoogala

The bad news about the Smurf movie is that while it's tanking here in the States, it's doing gangbusters overseas. In fact, I think it's the number one movie in the foreign market right now. And you know what that means....:hungover:
ehh.. smurfs, though marketed as "family" style, have many many bits that are not family-friendly.. I, personally, thought it inappropriate for my kids.

lego606

MagicBandit
Just to throw in a curve, we just got back from Carsland at California Adventure, and it's great. I don't know how much space they have available in the backlot, but obviously a resurrection of the area to a Carsland type "land" with perhaps Planes thrown in somewhere along the way would make major sense. The problem, who would want to ride Test Track after zipping around on Radiator Springs Racers? No comparison.

You mean like Condor Flats? Which I'm rather sure will be Planes Land soon enough if the movies don't flop.
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom