I wish I had seen it....

PineapplePrincess

I had been to River Country a couple of times as a kid, but I wish DH & I would have went on our honeymoon. I think it would've been fun to see it as an adult.

Lorange

+1 for the "Never Experienced Horizons/JIM, But Love them based on Home Movies Posted Online" club

Our Only Trip down to WDW resulted in a MK Rainout halfway through (Did get to see HM and The Timekeeper though, among others), We Skipped over Epcot Entirely and went to Universal-(Did get to see BTTF and take the Nick Studios Tour Though, so it wasn't a total loss!)

Mainahman

You know, Ron "Dreamfinder" Schneider just released a book about his career in the Theme Park Industry. It's a great read, Just look for "From Dreamer to Dreamfinder" on amazon for the Ebook ($4) or you can get a signed softcover copy through bambooforestpublishing.com
Ive got it in my "beg the wife for more Disney Stuff" cart on amazon.com as we speak :)

wiigirl

Alien Encounter. I was going to MK since it opened and closed, and can't believe I didn't take at least one chance to see it while it was there.

I was sad they closed it :(
75.gif

Figments Friend

TImekeeper.
Never experienced it, as at the time i seemed a bit clueless about what kind of attraction it actually was.
I do not remember a lot of promotion about it...and i dimly recall at the time getting the impression it was just another 3-D film experience type of attraction. Not my cup of tea, when we had many other 3-D film based attractions in the Parks already, even back then. So i always skipped over Timekeeper.

If i had any clue at the time it involved much more then a film presentation i would have checked it out.
My dislike for Robin Williams voice-overs may have deterred me a little at that time....but now i kind of wish i made the effort to check it out.

I was fortunate to experience the MK in the late 70s, and EPCOT when it was not even a year old in 1983. Getting to experience all the original attractions back then at EPCOT in particular was inspiring. It was a different time then.

For all the rave reviews Horizons gets, when i was younger i was not all that into it.
I loved the score and music for it...but the attraction as a whole did not really grab me as much as a few others at the time did at EPCOT.
It surely would now. It was quite a creation.

Same went for the original UoE.
I saw the original a few times, and adored the Radok Screen and again loved the score and attraction music. The Primeval World was awesome...but the film following it left no impression. Now of course when i go back and watch videos of the original show, i see why.

The original JII left a huge influence on me when i first experienced the attraction in person in April of 1983.
Blew me away.
Changed my life entirely....yes, that major a influence on me. Cataclysmic moment that decided right then and there what i was going to do with my life.
How many can say a theme park attraction did that for them? With EPCOT Center in the 80s....yes, it could happen.

My earliest memory from WDW is seeing the Mickey Mouse Revue during my first visit. Loved it....and was sad to see it go.

Last edited:

NeedMoreMickey

My first trip to WDW was my honeymoon in July 1983 and I remember the Swan boats but 3 years later on a family trip my sister thought I made it up. Back then no internet to let you know what was happening.

GenerationX

I don't know how I missed this thread the first or second (or third) time around. I wished I had experienced Alien Encounter in all of its original glory. The boys were toddlers back then, and I just never had the opportunity to check it out. Horizons would've been interesting, too. I just missed Horizons' opening in '83 and didn't return to Epcot until it had closed.

Disney Shib

I've seen family photos of myself on 20,000 leagues under the sea but I was a child and don't really remember it. That's one I really wish they kept. :(

Mickey Mouse Revue, even though I'm sure it would seem outdated with today's technology I still would have liked to have seen it.

Possibly Alien Encounter too. My family always skipped it when it was open and I never really cared that much about trying it but now it sounds like I missed a cool attraction.

MCParradox

Oh, what I wouldn't give to go to EPCOT Center in '83... Since I only visited WDW for the first time in 2011, I missed a lot of stuff, but Epcot still captured me, and I loved it. Now, having seen all the pictures of classic 80s EPCOT, I see how far downhill Future World has gone, but I'm still obsessed with what it used to be... Horizons, WOM, WoL, The Seas... etc... All things I never got the chance to do...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom