The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Season 1

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The challenge was to make a campaign for Disney World. We tied our whole campaign together so everything was coherent. Also, WE meet all the requirements and then went beyond.

As did we through our also unified theme, and we went above and beyond with interactive features and integration with the already present "My Disney Experience" App, something WDW wishes to push. As opposed to pie in the sky dreams of possible attractions and integration that was never expounded upon, only mentioned.

OUR concept encourages exploration of the current properties and technologies (something a marketing campaign should do), without massive capital investments for the "events" and relying on future investements, as yours implies. Your submission even states "more coming".

While inventive, without a doubt, jdm warned, pretty early on during the brainstorming process, this isn't an event, it's a marketing campaign (at least in our conference thread he did, not sure about yours). So, we'll need to see what he says!

Slapping on a template website where you don't even post the right password (I guessed you had it all lower case, and I was right) isn't "imaginative" at all...I could code what you have presented in 15 minutes or less.

But, lets save the sniping for after Mr. Yesnid Trump has made his decision! <grin>

And, my friend, it is a VERY well meaning and good hearted grin, I think your team has an awesome submission...I love your submission, your ideas, and your video (the video is REALLY good...but I never said that!)

I just happen to think my team's is better! <friendly grin>

Sam Magic

As did we through our also unified theme, and we went above and beyond with interactive features and integration with the already present "My Disney Experience" App, something WDW wishes to push. As opposed to pie in the sky dreams of possible attractions and integration that was never expounded upon, only mentioned.

OUR concept encourages exploration of the current properties and technologies (something a marketing campaign should do), without massive capital investments for the "events" and relying on future investements, as yours implies. Your submission even states "more coming".

While inventive, without a doubt, jdm warned, pretty early on during the brainstorming process, this isn't an event, it's a marketing campaign (at least in our conference thread he did, not sure about yours). So, we'll need to see what he says!

Slapping on a template website where you don't even post the right password (I guessed you had it all lower case, and I was right) isn't "imaginative" at all...I could code what you have presented in 15 minutes or less.

But, lets save the sniping for after Mr. Yesnid Trump has made his decision! <grin>

And, my friend, it is a VERY well meaning and good hearted grin, I think your team has an awesome submission...I love your submission, your ideas, and your video (the video is REALLY good...but I never said that!)

I just happen to think my team's is better! <friendly grin>

With good intentions a large portion of our proposed projects are scheduled to open next year. Also if you look at Disney's promo's for events they tell us what will be new. You guys did really great and I admire your work, I hope that any of my comments or other team members comments have NOT hurt you or your team in any way.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
With good intentions a large portion of our proposed projects are scheduled to open next year. Also if you look at Disney's promo's for events they tell us what will be new. You guys did really great and I admire your work, I hope that any of my comments or other team members comments have NOT hurt you or your team in any way.

With all good intentions...here is your list.

• Discover Together Parade (yep)
  • Epcot's New Discovery Island (nope)
  • The Seven Dwarves Mine Train (yep)
  • Princess FairyTale Hall (yep)
  • Star Wars Land (nope)
  • Disney Springs Phase 1 (nope)
  • Moroccan Restaurant (QS...I do like how you all included it though, even in the video)
  • More Coming Soon... (as I mentioned)

I want to step aside from the comp for a moment to make something clear...

You guys did really great and I admire your work, I hope that any of my comments or other team members comments have NOT hurt you or your team in any way.

I hope not either.

If this is truly an "apprentice" style competition, is not snarking and snapping part of the fun? The real shame is if someone took it personally (none of it is).

I have the utmost respect for what you all produced, and I think it's fantastic. If snarking and snapping gets me fired, assuming we lose, it will also add to the drama, but that makes the thread and the comp a fun new idea (as I see it). None of it is personal, or meant as a swipe against your obvious talents.

If approached from this demeanor, it can be a ton of fun to nit pick each others submissions. If not, then, well, jdm's concept (to me) fails. This isn't a "post and be lauded" or "post and ultimately judged" thread, as it's a competition among teams, which also provides it's own limitations and benefits.

That being said, personal insults shouldn't be tolerated. But, genuine criticism and honest sportsmanship? I don't see how that's an issue.

Sam Magic

With all good intentions...here is your list.

• Discover Together Parade (yep)
  • Epcot's New Discovery Island (nope)
  • The Seven Dwarves Mine Train (yep)
  • Princess FairyTale Hall (yep)
  • Star Wars Land (nope)
  • Disney Springs Phase 1 (nope)
  • Moroccan Restaurant (QS...I do like how you all included it though, even in the video)
  • More Coming Soon... (as I mentioned)
I want to step aside from the comp for a moment to make something clear...

I hope not either.

If this is truly an "apprentice" style competition, is not snarking and snapping part of the fun? The real shame is if someone took it personally (none of it is).

I have the utmost respect for what you all produced, and I think it's fantastic. If snarking and snapping gets me fired, assuming we lose, it will also add to the drama, but that makes the thread and the comp a fun new idea (as I see it). None of it is personal, or meant as a swipe against your obvious talents.

If approached from this demeanor, it can be a ton of fun to nit pick each others submissions. If not, then, well, jdm's concept (to me) fails. This isn't a "post and be lauded" or "post and ultimately judged" thread, as it's a competition among teams, which also provides it's own limitations and benefits.

That being said, personal insults shouldn't be tolerated. But, genuine criticism and honest sportsmanship? I don't see how that's an issue.
I'm glad were on the same page. I have had bad experiences with challenges like this and did not want to take any risks (team to team discussion wise). As for the Disney Springs thing: Apple and American Girl and a few other places are opening next year so I called it phase one. And we still are not sure about Star Wars land (but if it was true I understand it would open in 2015-2016)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I coded the whole thing. Tumblr was just a way to put the site up for free, if you don't know how tumblr works. And IF you could code better than that in 15 mins, why didn't you do that for your presentation?

I'm sorry if I offended you.

I code websites for a living (a very good living that allows me to afford Disney on the regular). Our team discussed a website, but veered away from it as it wasn't part of the challenge.

I wasn't trying to demean your work. I'm sorry if you took it that way. I am sorry if my playful arrogance (as that's all it was meant to be) offended you.

Also, if you want better hosting options than tumblr, lets have a private chat sometime!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm glad were on the same page. I have had bad experiences with challenges like this and did not want to take any risks (team to team discussion wise). As for the Disney Springs thing: Apple and American Girl and a few other places are opening next year so I called it phase one. And we still are not sure about Star Wars land (but if it was true I understand it would open in 2015-2016)

I had missed American Girl...is that really going in? They are so expensive, I really don't see them as a "kneejerk" purchase like the remote cars are...

I know this isn't the thread for a detailed discussion, but I have a severe aversion to those dolls! (my sister had 3 of them...my mother decided it was the "best" way to teach her about her "American Indian" past...until we got the book...they never got her another American Girl doll again...but my sister has quite the collection!) <grin>

Sam Magic

I had missed American Girl...is that really going in? They are so expensive, I really don't see them as a "kneejerk" purchase like the remote cars are...

I know this isn't the thread for a detailed discussion, but I have a severe aversion to those dolls! (my sister had 3 of them...my mother decided it was the "best" way to teach her about her "American Indian" past...until we got the book...they never got her another American Girl doll again...but my sister has quite the collection!) <grin>

Tell me about it! My sister collected for years, I have become involved in a few of that company's moves and fan base and it will draw some more people in. Also it's not just a small store but a flagship which I think is a bit too much.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I would love to talk to you about web design sometime. I just used Tumblr because 1) I didn't want to waste money and 2) I don't think this project was big enough to host a website for it privately. I do admit it wasn't my best work and I apologize for the things I said, if they hurt in any way.

Nope, didn't bother me at all! I do see how my "I could code that in 15 minutes" comment would cause you be seen as hostile, which wasn't my intent, per se...it was jokingly and friendly hostile. Subtext is hard to communicate through unicode or ascii many times. Though I wasn't kidding, I also didn't mean any real insult, and if it came off as such...sorry about that...

With respect to web design, if you are new to it, we can have a fun chatter...I spend most of my time where the real money is today (for an individual), doing work on custom internal gigs...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Tell me about it! My sister collected for years, I have become involved in a few of that company's moves and fan base and it will draw some more people in. Also it's not just a small store but a flagship which I think is a bit too much.

I am not fond of the idea.

Sounds like a reboot for them though, actually. They must be hurting since they were always a mail order business...and a lot of their business was catalog based...they did have a short run with Scholastic, but I'm not sure if that is still in place...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I would love to talk to you about web design sometime. I just used Tumblr because 1) I didn't want to waste money and 2) I don't think this project was big enough to host a website for it privately. I do admit it wasn't my best work and I apologize for the things I said, if they hurt in any way.

I own my own Tier 4 datacenter hosting...burstable 100 meg (no need for more for my applications) speeds on the 95th percentile billing.

So, no, I don't use Tumblr...if I wanna host something, I just do. I slap it on a virtual machine, or a real one.

As a side note, did you notice the Google outage today? What the heck did that require to take them down? Looks like south eastern DNS issues, but yeesh, that was crazy. I've only seen Google go down twice before, and the previous times were over 10 years ago.

Sam Magic

I am not fond of the idea.

Sounds like a reboot for them though, actually. They must be hurting since they were always a mail order business...and a lot of their business was catalog based...they did have a short run with Scholastic, but I'm not sure if that is still in place...

Actually the business is doing very well. Since 2001 they started a Girl of the year line and since 2005 they have beaten their high sales. Now they have over 13 store/restaurant across the nation and three flagships. They have also been adding new historical characters to their line up and a new one is in the works. They just built a store in Miami, so an Orlando presence is understandable+ based on their Californian presence and Stagg's commitment to get California business at Disney it makes sense.

I probably sound like a creep <grin>

Matt7187

Actually the business is doing very well. Since 2001 they started a Girl of the year line and since 2005 they have beaten their high sales. Now they have over 13 store/restaurant across the nation and three flagships. They have also been adding new historical characters to their line up and a new one is in the works. They just built a store in Miami, so an Orlando presence is understandable+ based on their Californian presence and Stagg's commitment to get California business at Disney it makes sense.

Yes, yes you do...

:D

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Not really a creep...but I do question the dolls...

I did back then. Then again, they remind me of dolls someone on the Titanic would have...with very poor back story. Then again, as I said, my sister had 3 of them.

I begged for a gun shaped Megatron, never got it...sis begs for a $200 doll, gets it x3.

Welcome to my life. <grin>

Matt7187

Not really a creep...but I do question the dolls...

I did back then. Then again, they remind me of dolls someone on the Titanic would have...with very poor back story. Then again, as I said, my sister had 3 of them.

I begged for a gun shaped Megatron, never got it...sis begs for a $200 doll, gets it x3.

Welcome to my life. <grin>
How bout mine:

I ask my parents 3 months in advance to take me to a basketball in Cleveland...

NO

My sister asks to go to a concert in Columbus 7 hours before...

Sure, lets hop in the car!

True story. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom