DHS CARS LAND

Next Big Thing

Your flaw is that you only view things as a consumer- the attraction needs to be successful for the business too.
You quoted a key part in my post though. It's what separates the two and really proves the point I was trying to make. An attraction doesn't rely in any way on merch, but merch relies on an attraction. So what does that tell you? Focus on building an awesome land with a true E-ticket and people will WANT to buy the merchandise.

willtravel

My sister works at a restaurant at DHS. They confirmed to the staff that Indiana Jones is going. Star Wars will expand toward that area. Pizza planet and Mama Melrose will stay put but may be re themed. Light Camera Action is going as is Backlot Tour. That whole back area will be Cars Land. Estimating 5 years to do all this major re-work. Cars Land California has already re-couped 28 percent of it's cost already. So they feel it's worth the investment and will really put DHS back on track.
I don't know much about carsland but closing 3 attractions to build 1 attraction?

doctornick

I don't know much about carsland but closing 3 attractions to build 1 attraction?

Not sure where you are getting that. For starters, wouldn't it be two attractions closing (Backlot Tour and LMA)? Second, I'm under the impression that the current plans have 2 rides for Cars Land -- the Mater ride and a fully indoor version of RSR (though we don't really know the specifics). Finally, even though no one has suggested other rides, it's quite possible/reasonable that other Pixar themed rides could come to the area, especially Monsters Inc given the nice opening weekend they just had and since there has been previous plans for one.

willtravel

Not sure where you are getting that. For starters, wouldn't it be two attractions closing (Backlot Tour and LMA)? Second, I'm under the impression that the current plans have 2 rides for Cars Land -- the Mater ride and a fully indoor version of RSR (though we don't really know the specifics). Finally, even though no one has suggested other rides, it's quite possible/reasonable that other Pixar themed rides could come to the area, especially Monsters Inc given the nice opening weekend they just had and since there has been previous plans for one.
@beachlover4444 read her quote wrong.

doctornick

But if it is three useless attractions that no one really rides...

Sounds like the current plans are to add three rides, which considering what would be lost - this is a massive gain.

And we don't really know what the "current plans" actually are. Even the insiders have said they don't know a lot about the specifics. I'd like to think that there is a decent chance of having more than 1 Star Wars ride and/or potentially other Pixar stuff besides Cars. Especially if all the land in SOA, in addition to LMA and Backlot and Indy are used. At a minimum, I would expect a few non-ride attractions added (shows or walk throughs) such that the attraction count will be higher than it is right now -- and hopefully with better attractions as well.

Goofyernmost

But if it is three useless attractions that no one really rides...

Sounds like the current plans are to add three rides, which considering what would be lost - this is a massive gain.
Only one useless attraction and that would be the backlot tour. Last I heard LMA still plays to a full house as does Indiana Jones. And those last two take a whole lot of people out of the general park and place them in one spot (each) for a good bit of time. That is something that they will have to deal with if they do close those two. Backlot...once was a big deal, but, is no longer. It can go and would be hardly missed. I'm usually not an advocate of closing something down to build something new. I still feel that they can make the room without closures, however, even I have to admit that Backlot has run it's life and unless they could reset it like it started out (impossible at this point) there really is no sense in keeping it.

RSoxNo1

Only one useless attraction and that would be the backlot tour. Last I heard LMA still plays to a full house as does Indiana Jones. And those last two take a whole lot of people out of the general park and place them in one spot (each) for a good bit of time. That is something that they will have to deal with if they do close those two. Backlot...once was a big deal, but, is no longer. It can go and would be hardly missed. I'm usually not an advocate of closing something down to build something new. I still feel that they can make the room without closures, however, even I have to admit that Backlot has run it's life and unless they could reset it like it started out (impossible at this point) there really is no sense in keeping it.
It plays to a full house since they cut the show times.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You quoted a key part in my post though. It's what separates the two and really proves the point I was trying to make. An attraction doesn't rely in any way on merch, but merch relies on an attraction

If merch relies on the attraction...
and the company relies on merch...
What does that tell you about the two when the company thinks what is successful or not?

If you still think these are totally unrelated... there's nothing that will bring your head out of the sand.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My sister works at a restaurant at DHS. They confirmed to the staff that Indiana Jones is going. Star Wars will expand toward that area. Pizza planet and Mama Melrose will stay put but may be re themed. Light Camera Action is going as is Backlot Tour. That whole back area will be Cars Land. Estimating 5 years to do all this major re-work. Cars Land California has already re-couped 28 percent of it's cost already. So they feel it's worth the investment and will really put DHS back on track.

Was she told this by someone in management or is this just discussion amongst the CMs? It's very unusual for front link CM's to be given this sort of information.

bubbles1812

Was she told this by someone in management or is this just discussion amongst the CMs? It's very unusual for front link CM's to be given this sort of information.
Exactly why I asked who is the "they" she was referring to. Even if it is management, then you have to ask, is it lower level management? Or people involved in the upper levels of the company. Just am skeptical since nothing from the company has been released. Would be weird to announce that to frontline CMs only without an official announcement first.

asianway

Exactly why I asked who is the "they" she was referring to. Even if it is management, then you have to ask, is it lower level management? Or people involved in the upper levels of the company. Just am skeptical since nothing from the company has been released. Would be weird to announce that to frontline CMs only without an official announcement first.
They actually did that for Disney Springs, but I think because of the overcast skies on the day they were supposed to announce. They announced to CM first, then the press the next day.

NoChesterHester

It plays to a full house since they cut the show times.

AND people paid 90 bucks to get in to a park with little to do if your kids are under 48"...

Guest satisfaction on LMA has to be extremely low. It just isn't very good. Indy is still fun, but the "filming" shtick is just so useless now. It isn't even an interesting scene shift device anymore.

bubbles1812

They actually did that for Disney Springs, but I think because of the overcast skies on the day they were supposed to announce. They announced to CM first, then the press the next day.
True. Though that's a reverse of telling the CMs before the media of one day... This would appear to be an example of telling the CMs month(s) in advance when plans have obviously not been finalized. Also, I find it funny they delayed by one day because of cloudy skies. I mean, I get it, but it's still funny ;)

afar28

I'm so excited for D23 now. Expecting good stuff to be announced. Especially after the snooze-fest at 2011's D23, this one better be good. DHS retheme, Avatar concept art, and maybe some other surprises would be great.

Next Big Thing

If merch relies on the attraction...
and the company relies on merch...
What does that tell you about the two when the company thinks what is successful or not?

If you still think these are totally unrelated... there's nothing that will bring your head out of the sand.
I never said there were completely unrelated from a success stand point as that does play into how it is viewed. However, as i've been saying all along, a great attraction can still be great with no merch whatsoever. so they aren't exclusively tied to each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom