Miceage Update: New Soarin film by 2015, DHS refurb on the way.

The Empress Lilly

Do you think they would update the DCA version and not the Epcot one?
As is common the last few years, WDW gets to crawl on all fours and lick up the crumbs that fall off Anaheim's richly served table.

The new Soarin' will probably be themed to match DCA's upcoming 1950's aviation / explore the world make-over. The movie and the Condor Flats land will be themed to match.
At EPCOT, the new Soarin' will just be shoehorned in, becoming the third mismatching colour in the palette of 'Modern Airport + The Land + 50's Aviatic Exploration'.

FreedomWrangler

Something is brewing for DHS. I know of 3 proposals and variations thereof. Nothing is pinned down yet from what I can find out. But it will be more than a lick of paint.

Soarin.... how longs this been proposed? WDSP was getting it a decade ago.... The only thing that may stop Epcot getting a new DCA version would be differences in projection room standards. Can't see how that would matter though. Of course, they could always upgrade Orlandos to Anaheim's quality.
Is this the "Soarin' over Pandas" update?

TP2000

As is common the last few years, WDW gets to crawl on all fours and lick off the crumbs that fall of Anaheim's richly served table.

The new Soarin' will probably be themed to match DCA's upcoming 1950's aviation / explore the world make-over. The movie and the Condor Flats land will be themed to match.
At EPCOT, the new Soarin' will just be shoehorned in, becoming the third mismatching colour in the palette of 'Modern Airport + The Land + 50's Aviatic Exploration'.

Oh, I don't know if it will be that bad. :)

Al Lutz says in todays update they are filming the new finale' for DCA's Soarin' on the evening of March 12th, 2014 and the permits have been filed.

If they are thinking that far out, I imagine they will also film a special finale' for Epcot and do a flyover of WDW property around that same time. The bulk of the new film will be the same "Soarin' Over The World" footage, and then each park will have a separate ending finale' sequence that lands them in the property the film is shown; Shanghai, Tokyo, Anaheim, Orlando.

It'll be nice to have a digital HD upgrade to Soarin', as that one was built just before the digital revolution of the last decade. But honestly I think most Disneyland fans are going to be more excited about the upgrades/redo's to the existing five Fantasyland dark rides; Peter Pan, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad and Pinocchio's Daring Journey.

The Empress Lilly

But honestly I think most Disneyland fans are going to be more excited about the upgrades/redo's to the existing five Fantasyland dark rides; Peter Pan, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad and Pinocchio's Daring Journey.
Ah, but - continuing my sourpuss streak here ;) - I'm not sure the hardcore DL fans will applaud too much tampering with their classics.

Then again, everybody is still in love with the 50th celebration, so by default there is a poisitive vibe about sprucing FL up for the 60th.

And separate Soarin' endings for all parks would be great! I was wondering about how the Chinese parks would receive a Cali-centric ride, which does not seem the quality they'd accept. Separate endings, perhaps a few scenes different between rides. Might the Chinese parks change one or more US national park views for fly-overs over their own natural heritage?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I've never minded the EPCOT Soarin' film being about California. It is as much on-theme, or out of theme, as a Soarin' around the world.

The Land is about symbiosis, about man's relationship with the land. Any collection of random landscape and monument shots is an equal thematic fit.
I don't mind it...until the Castle shows up!

Californian Elitist

I was thinking the same thing. They will not want any changes made just everything looking clean and fresh.

That ship sailed years and years ago, for the Fantasyland dark rides. None of them are the same as they were in 1955. So much has already changed. As long as Disney isn't threatening to close any of the dark rides, I don't think fans will care that much and actually welcome possible changes.

The Empress Lilly

I don't mind it...until the Castle shows up!
Och, at least the castle makes for a fun little shout-out to our friends out west. Beats seeing another Pixar character rear his ugly mug in an EPCOT pavilion.

Ha, I think I'm the only EPCOT purist who doesn't mind Soarin's content! Then again, it is of course only the D-ticket in the Land's roster of an E, D and B ticket.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Och, at least the castle makes for a fun little shout-out to our friends out west. Beats seeing another Pixar character rear his ugly mug in an EPCOT pavilion.

Ha, I think I'm the only EPCOT purist who doesn't mind Soarin's content! Then again, it is of course only the D-ticket in the Land's roster of an E, D and B ticket.

Hey, I think you are on to something!

They could retheme Sourin' to Up! <grin>

Yensid1974

Here's the thing. Attractions at WDW seem to only get a major upgrade due to declining attendance. From what I understand Soarin in DCA meets its capacity numbers, but has nowhere near the demand of Soarin in Epcot. It would not surprise me in the least if WDW took the "If it ain't broke..." position.

Well, don't forget along those same lines that if they can get a huge PR push for an up-graded ride over actually spending on a brand new attraction they would probably do that. It would be something easy to do for Epcot.

DizFiz

Well if all this comes to be true Soarin will be better than ever. I'm intrigued by this so called DCA style refurb for DHS that is mentioned.

Eventhough DL isn't near me... only been there once... I'm glad to hear Disney Parks receiving some TLC.

KCheatle

I could care less about a Soarin' makeover unless they can upgrade Soarin' and DHS simultaneously and have an ample budget to do it. Soarin is fine the way it is. Yes, it could be better. But, for now, it's fine. DHS is terrible. If they are in a budget-crunch (which the article seems to indicate), I certainly hope they don't waste their budget/time/efforts on Soarin when DHS is in desperate need of some serious help.

djlaosc

I've never minded the EPCOT Soarin' film being about California. It is as much on-theme, or out of theme, as a Soarin' around the world.

The Land is about symbiosis, about man's relationship with the land. Any collection of random landscape and monument shots is an equal thematic fit.

I've never thought about it (I've been like probably everyone else who thought that Soarin' should end over Epcot), but you're right - it makes sense that Soarin' finishes over Disneyland California - the rest of the film is based on California, so why not the ending?

The only issue at the moment is that they dropped the "Over California" from the Soarin' name for Epcot - and because people don't necessarily realise that the whole film is based on California (it could be any golf course, ski slope, etc.), then it seems weird that it finishes at Disneyland California.

Of course, if they do create a new film, then they need to end it at Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom