"Rossen Reports" on Disney

MattC

Original Poster
Jeff Rossen is a reporter for NBC. He does a segment for the Today Show called "Rossen Reports." Basically, the point of his segment is to expose scams or fraud of all kinds. Tomorrow the segment will focus on Disney and how people are "beating the system" and skipping lines. My guess is that it will focus on GAC abuse, but have to wait and see. If you guys want to watch, the segment normally airs around 7:30am est during the Today Show.

ExtinctJenn

Oh I'm absolutely sure it's going to focus on the abuse of the entire handicapped entrance, beyond just the folks who are "renting" a handicapped person (let's be honest, that's what it is). I have to wonder though... will he put some sort of media spin on the proper use of FPs? They love to do that sort of thing and make it seem like it's getting around something. I've seen it before when a reporter wrongly assumed FPs were something you paid extra for to allow you the option to get around the lines. I don't think I can watch this so I'll look forward to folks posting up about it in the morning. LOL!

MattC

Original Poster
Oh I'm absolutely sure it's going to focus on the abuse of the entire handicapped entrance, beyond just the folks who are "renting" a handicapped person (let's be honest, that's what it is). I have to wonder though... will he put some sort of media spin on the proper use of FPs? They love to do that sort of thing and make it seem like it's getting around something. I've seen it before when a reporter wrongly assumed FPs were something you paid extra for to allow you the option to get around the lines. I don't think I can watch this so I'll look forward to folks posting up about it in the morning. LOL!

Well, the little preview video seemed to be taken from a hidden camera on someone being led through various passage ways that aren't the normal queue. But you're right. You never know what kind of spin will be put on it.

WDWVolFan

Wasn't there a rumor that Disney was going to limit FP to those staying in their hotels or allowing you to get FP before you even left the hotel?

ExtinctJenn

Wasn't there a rumor that Disney was going to limit FP to those staying in their hotels or allowing you to get FP before you even left the hotel?
I think that's going hand in hand with the RFID Magic Bands (the rumor that is) but I've yet to see anything official that the change is happening.

JIMINYCR

Sure, he can do an expose on how guests are scamming all the rest of us by getting GAC cards, hiring disabled people to act as if they are family, etc. but there still won't be a viable solution to stop the problem. Disney's hands are tied without being able to ask proof of or level of a disability, theres nothing to be done. This will just give future scamming guests ideas of how they can get better, faster access to Disney.

Zman-ks

75.gif

Had not thought of that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Its interesting that NBC will broach a topic as sensitive as people with disabilities. Could be fun.. could be a dud if all they do is rehash the existing newspaper story.

Tom Morrow

Sure, he can do an expose on how guests are scamming all the rest of us by getting GAC cards, hiring disabled people to act as if they are family, etc. but there still won't be a viable solution to stop the problem. Disney's hands are tied without being able to ask proof of or level of a disability, theres nothing to be done. This will just give future scamming guests ideas of how they can get better, faster access to Disney.
I'm not sure why people keep saying this. The viable solution is what MOST theme parks do, and put restrictions on the guests so that they can not enter instantly or as much as they want. Give them a return time based on the current wait time of that attraction. Force a photo ID on the cards so we know the intended person is using it. Maybe restrict that pass from entering the attraction's Fastpass line again within a certain time frame if the line is past a certain point.

There are PLENTY of things that can be done without ever needing to ask for proof of disability. It works just fine at other parks, and with MyMagic+/Fastpass+ this should be even easier to implement this stuff and seems like a no-brainer.

ExtinctJenn

We may need to combine this one with the other re: the hiring of the handicapped folks as I can tell it's going to go in fairly much the same direction. :) The topic of how they can resolve the issue has been discussed at length in that one with people on both sides of it.

Vader2112

Its interesting that NBC will broach a topic as sensitive as people with disabilities. Could be fun.. could be a dud if all they do is rehash the existing newspaper story.
Sure why not beat up the owners of a competitor Network. Isn't it the NBC/Universal group? Amazing if they do not get a C&D for filming inside the parks without consent.

Soarin2u

I'm sure you can find it on line later tonight or tomorrow.
Hopefully! :) I am checking my TV right now to see if it has NBC on it ( They got a few foreign channels for me) but all I see is CNN. Hopefully my family won't notice that I'm still up! It is 2:33 right now! :D

bgraham34

The biggest problem with them reporting on it is that it becomes main stream. Now more people will be looking to take advantage of this service or start their own scam.

JIMINYCR

I'm not sure why people keep saying this. The viable solution is what MOST theme parks do, and put restrictions on the guests so that they can not enter instantly or as much as they want. Give them a return time based on the current wait time of that attraction. Force a photo ID on the cards so we know the intended person is using it. Maybe restrict that pass from entering the attraction's Fastpass line again within a certain time frame if the line is past a certain point.

There are PLENTY of things that can be done without ever needing to ask for proof of disability. It works just fine at other parks, and with MyMagic+/Fastpass+ this should be even easier to implement this stuff and seems like a no-brainer.

The issue is not instant access, returning or riding multiple times, but having access as a non disabled individual in the place of a truly disabled guest. Even if Disney could force a photo ID it would wouldn't solve the issue of who gets one and who doesnt by proving need under ADA laws. The real issue is how to ensure that the guest who is truly disabled gets access and the guest who has no disability takes advantage of a law that cannot be enforced enough to restrict being abused.

ExtinctJenn

The issue is not instant access, returning or riding multiple times, but having access as a non disabled individual in the place of a truly disabled guest. Even if Disney could force a photo ID it would wouldn't solve the issue of who gets one and who doesnt by proving need under ADA laws. The real issue is how to ensure that the guest who is truly disabled gets access and the guest who has no disability takes advantage of a law that cannot be enforced enough to restrict being abused.
Me personally I think the issue is more that, disabled or not, it is only fair for everyone purchasing a ticket to have the same experiences. Those who are disabled are able to gain instant access to an attraction where others cannot, regardless of the actual wait time... and to that end, those same folks, while benefiting from that, don't have the benefit of experiencing some of the awesome queues Disney has put together as a result. It should be fair across the board with no special treatment/experiences either way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom