Two new Disney Cruise Line ships??

Tonka's Skipper

A
They can build a ship faster than a meet n greet tent...

Strange timing, I'm hearing DCL is underperforming at the moment

Actually the whole cruise industry is under performing.......and other lines are building ships.

I am not saying this is a done deal.....but your looking 3 or 4 or 5 or more years out.........there is a great deal of lead time.

Time will tell!

AKK

BrianLo

Yep. We're booked on Allure for Thanksgiving week with the hubby's family this year. The others in the family aren't too keen on sailing with Mickey. So I have the monster ship to look forward to but I have my reservations. It's so big. Too big. I'm afraid of being overwhelmed. The size with the volume of people, I have a sneaking suspicion we'll miss that "at home w/friends" feel. I'm trying not to go into it biased but its hard. At some point I think there's too big even without all the logistical issues you mentioned. I'm excited to hear the new ships rumor picking up steam recently but I'm even more thrilled that there's a solid chance Disney won't go mega-big with the size.

Have a great time, I was on the Allure January 2012. It was definitely my favourite ship! Done quite a few RCL a Princess and Norwegian as well.

I'm not surprised in the least DCL is expanding. Even if the cruise industry suffers a little Disney owns such a small portion of the pie. They can definitely bite into some of the weaker competitors share.

Tonka's Skipper

Seems time will tell....this time its telling us the big announcement is most likely about the Classic vessels refit!

That does not change the possibility of 2 new ships in the future!

Time will tell...........again!o_O

Jim Chandler

For those that believe the cruise industry has taken a hit please think again. According to what I have read numbers of cruisers is up 13%. Yes they were slightly down with the ship going aground but the Princess issue have barely made a dent in people cruising. The funny thing is that Princess also owns Norweigan, Costa and several other lines and all have been up in sales.
http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/articles/cruise-market-watch-announces-2013-cruise-trends-forecast/
Among the 2013 highlights:
  • - The worldwide cruise market is estimated at $36.2 billion, up 4.8% from 2012.
  • - Cruise passengers carried worldwide in 2013 is forecast at 20.9 million, a 3.3% increase over 2012.
  • - The top two cruise companies Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL) and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Co (NYSE: RCL) account for 71.7% of worldwide share of revenue
  • - Direct spending by passengers and crew at all cruise ports in the world is estimated at $17.5 billion.
A total of six new ships will be added in 2013 with a gain in passenger capacity of 14,074 (including the 3,600 passenger Royal Princess, the 4,010 passenger Norwegian Breakaway, 2,192-guest AIDAstella and 3,502 berth MSC Preziosa). Looking out further, 13 more new cruise ships will add 39,297 lower births or 8.9% to passenger capacity by the end of 2015 – generating $3.2 billion more in annual revenue for the cruise industry.
By 2017, 23.7 million cruise passengers are expected to be carried worldwide of which 59.1% will originate from North America and 27.4% Europe.

Any negativity that has happened has had minimal effect on the overall industry.

BTW cruising is a great buy overall.

Tonka's Skipper

For those that believe the cruise industry has taken a hit please think again. According to what I have read numbers of cruisers is up 13%. Yes they were slightly down with the ship going aground but the Princess issue have barely made a dent in people cruising. The funny thing is that Princess also owns Norweigan, Costa and several other lines and all have been up in sales.
http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/articles/cruise-market-watch-announces-2013-cruise-trends-forecast/
Among the 2013 highlights:
  • - The worldwide cruise market is estimated at $36.2 billion, up 4.8% from 2012.
  • - Cruise passengers carried worldwide in 2013 is forecast at 20.9 million, a 3.3% increase over 2012.
  • - The top two cruise companies Carnival Corporation (NYSE: CCL) and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Co (NYSE: RCL) account for 71.7% of worldwide share of revenue
  • - Direct spending by passengers and crew at all cruise ports in the world is estimated at $17.5 billion.
A total of six new ships will be added in 2013 with a gain in passenger capacity of 14,074 (including the 3,600 passenger Royal Princess, the 4,010 passenger Norwegian Breakaway, 2,192-guest AIDAstella and 3,502 berth MSC Preziosa). Looking out further, 13 more new cruise ships will add 39,297 lower births or 8.9% to passenger capacity by the end of 2015 – generating $3.2 billion more in annual revenue for the cruise industry.

By 2017, 23.7 million cruise passengers are expected to be carried worldwide of which 59.1% will originate from North America and 27.4% Europe.

Any negativity that has happened has had minimal effect on the overall industry.

BTW cruising is a great buy overall.

Tonka's Skipper

Jim you may want to take another look at your figures......that article is November 29, 2012, that is 6 months ago and long before the many problems Carnival Line had with all its many incidents, fires, etc. this winter. and the past few years.

Right now Carnival is almost giving away cruises, people that had not fully paid there booked cruises are cancelling left and right. Not to mention Carnival Inc. has reduced its dividends and revenue forecasts since the Triumph fire. and this is from announcements from Carnival Line.

Yes the industry has taken a hit from the Carnival/Costa disasters. I would more like to see the figure over the last few years of the bad economy, that would give a better idea. Is it a death knell...NO!

Just for the record, Carnival Inc., owns Costa and owns Princess by way of having brought Cunard, which then owned Princess.

NCL is not owned by Princess and to the best of my knowledge is independent.

As to the capacity figures, those vessel were ordered a long time ago...they are coming on line whether the Lines want them or not. But more to the point will they ill them?.......will they be taking any vessels out of the fleets?

This article is newer and is a interesting read:

http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/ar...triumph-strike-three-for-the-cruise-industry/

JMHO for thought!

AKK

flavious27

The size of the ships seem about right. I doubt that Disney is able to fit in another 1 or 2 boats using the cape as its home port along with having stops in the cay. The largest ships that dcl will run will be out of the cape.

With the added news that the wonder and magic would be refurbed, these mid sized ships would take the routes that the wonder and magic are on right now. After their refurbs, the magic and wonder would likely be used on a rotating basis at other disney parks to see if there is another interest to built up more of the fleet.

In the end, dcl will have a port of call near every one of the parks. I can not wait for a 30 day land and sea cruise where you can hit every park.

devoy1701

My only wonder is if 6 ships would over-saturate the market. From what I understand the cruises departing from Canaveral sell like gangbusters. The other ports sell OK, but almost always seem to have to run a promotion to sell out.
I could see Ft. Lauderdale doing well. And Tampa has been trying to get Disney to come over here for years (we just haven't reached an agreement because Disney doesn't want to lease land, and the Port of Tampa doesn't want to sell land). I'm thinking if St. Pete agrees to release the Rays in turn for some access to cruise lines, it might be a solution to getting Disney over here as well.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I could see Ft. Lauderdale doing well. And Tampa has been trying to get Disney to come over here for years (we just haven't reached an agreement because Disney doesn't want to lease land, and the Port of Tampa doesn't want to sell land). I'm thinking if St. Pete agrees to release the Rays in turn for some access to cruise lines, it might be a solution to getting Disney over here as well.
I could see those ports doing well too, but then the question would be if they would just cannibalize Canaveral.

tahqa

Just for the record, Carnival Inc., owns Costa and owns Princess by way of having brought Cunard, which then owned Princess.

NCL is not owned by Princess and to the best of my knowledge is independent.

Princess came to Carnival via the P&O Purchase. They've never been owned by Cunard. However, Cunard does contain the remnants of the White Star Line so you can trace the Titanic down to Carnival now. :D

NCL is 50% owned by Apollo Management Group (an American investment firm) and 50% by Genting Hong Kong Limited (formerly Star Cruises LTD). As an aside Norwegian was the first cruise line to concentrate on year-round leisure cruises in the Caribbean. :)

Maccabee18

I dont usually ever post, but I just got off the fantasy on Saturday and heard the same statement from my stateroom host. She said it would be more like the Magic and Wonder, and only mentioned 1 boat.

Additionally she mentioned routes for Hawaii and Asian markets as well. So maybe to reduce the repositioning routes they will have more spread out consistently.

RickEff

I think they could capture a great market for Hawaii too. Offer one way or return trips. Stops at various islands with debarkation possible at Aulani, etc.

Tonka's Skipper

I
Princess came to Carnival via the P&O Purchase. They've never been owned by Cunard. However, Cunard does contain the remnants of the White Star Line so you can trace the Titanic down to Carnival now. :D

NCL is 50% owned by Apollo Management Group (an American investment firm) and 50% by Genting Hong Kong Limited (formerly Star Cruises LTD). As an aside Norwegian was the first cruise line to concentrate on year-round leisure cruises in the Caribbean.

I stand corrected on the Princess line it was my understanding Cunard owned them!...............see you learn something every day.

But NDCL whether owned by to corporation, is still a line on her own.

AKK

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
I cant remember the exact date, I transferred to the Dream from the Wonder in April 2011 and ended in August, so it was somewhere in the middle of there.

You must have your facts mixed up. The maiden voyage of the Dream was 1/26/11. I doubt it was paid off in less than a year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom