Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

lazyboy97o

How do you figure?
It's two geodesic domes organized to give the illusion of a sphere. The legs support the base upon which one dome rests (about 3/4 of the sphere) and the other hangs. Even then, the whole things is still based in the work of Buckminster Fuller, who not only aided Disney in the design and building of Spaceship Earth, but also wrote the 1968 book Operation Manual for Speaceship Earth. Absolutely nothing about EPCOT Center was "Disney" in the way it is used today.

Some are over analyzing this. It is not that the hat is NOT Disney at all. It is, but in the Pop Century or All Star giant prop sort of way. What it took away from was more Disney than that.
I'd say the BAH and Value Resorts are not "Disney" because it fails to create a greater experience.

imagineer boy

While I want the hat dead and buried, I definitely wouldn't want the Chinese theater to be the main icon of the park. I think the water tower should be moved to the front of the park and counted as the official icon while the theater be a secondary icon that draws you to the center of the park. Sort of like how TDS has the globe in the front of the park being the secondary icon and Mount Prometheus being the main icon at the center of the park (except DHS' this case it would be vice versa with the main icon out front and secondary icon in the center).

Beholder

For me at least, the argument isn't about an "icon" or what it should or shouldn't be, but the BAH itself. It must go. To revamp, reimagine, make over, or otherwise "fix" the issues at DHS, and for any such undertaking to be a legitimate effort, the hat cannot stay. I know the park needs an icon (I like the water tower), but I consider that a minor issue compared to the disruption that the oversized, garish looking, toy creates.

I like the water tower not because it houses an amazing attraction or some ride, it's the symbolism that's inherent in it's design and intent. It's also subtle and simple. I don't
consider those things bad, and in fact, it'd
be nice if WDW would embrace a little
more subtley and go for a bit more class
instead of "loud" and "chintzy". I'm about
the details, and maybe people are in too
big a hurry to enjoy them, but for me at least, THAT was what made the Disney "difference".

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's two geodesic domes organized to give the illusion of a sphere. The legs support the base upon which one dome rests (about 3/4 of the sphere) and the other hangs. Even then, the whole things is still based in the work of Buckminster Fuller, who not only aided Disney in the design and building of Spaceship Earth, but also wrote the 1968 book Operation Manual for Speaceship Earth. Absolutely nothing about EPCOT Center was "Disney" in the way it is used today.
Semantics....if you attach two half spheres together do you not still have a whole sphere?

Jakester

Honestly a lot more than one >_>

But it sure did take forever for them to remove Sounds Dangerous... And there's still nothing new there -_-
I feel like it will be used sooner than later. I think 1st before any brand new major additions (non Carsland) that a lot of construction will be taking place backstage improving infrastructure.

cslafferty

I don't really agree with the Carthay theatre as DCA's icon to be be honest as I think that represents Buena Vista Street rather than the entire park (i.e. what does it have to do with A Bugs Land/Cars Land etc.?) I think an icon should reflect everything a park has an offer rather than just the land that sits at the park entrance.

Although I haven't been there since 2006, I thought DCA icon was either the mountain at Grizzly Rivr Rapids (the bear profile) or the big Ferris wheel with Mickey in the middle. I believe I remember shopping bags and such with the Grizzly bear profile on them, but I could be wrong. As DH points out, I usually am!

I have a necklace and charm bracelet from our 1st trip in 1999 that has the Earful Tower representing DHS. Never really thought of the BAH or the Chinese Theatre as the icon. My vote would be for the Earful Tower

maxairmike

The Chinese Theater isn't supposed to scream "Disney" its supposed to scream "the Golden Age of Hollywood."

The funny thing is, it is mostly Disney's use of it in their theme park and the promotional materials I saw growing up that shaped my thoughts of "classic Hollywood" focused around the Chinese Theater.

HiYa Pal

Here's my issue with this thread, so many ppl are claiming without the BAH, no one will know what that theatre is, I'll fully admit IDK what the majority of the building in DHS are designed after, but I do know what the most famous theatre in America is.......and who says the park icon has to be immediately visable upon entry and be the center of the park......DAK you can't see the tree unitl you're well in to the park, also its towards the front, SSE is literally the first thing in the park, there's a flower bed in the middle of EPCOT, the castle is the only one that's in the middle and immediately viewable. Each park has its own flair and its own way of "presenting" its icon. Now back to the hat, I like it as an art piece, I hate its location, I say move it outside the park to either the place where they put the Christmas tree or in the middle of the lake on an island (would make an amazing memory as you left the park glowing across the water) and out there, it could still be a photo-op

imagineer boy

Although I haven't been there since 2006, I thought DCA icon was either the mountain at Grizzly Rivr Rapids (the bear profile) or the big Ferris wheel with Mickey in the middle. I believe I remember shopping bags and such with the Grizzly bear profile on them, but I could be wrong. As DH points out, I usually am!

I always thought that Grizzly Peak was supposed to be the icon too. It was on all the logos and merchandising. However, the actual profile of the Grizzly head was facing away from the entrance which was pretty confusing.

HMF

I always thought that Grizzly Peak was supposed to be the icon too. It was on all the logos and merchandising. However, the actual profile of the Grizzly head was facing away from the entrance which was pretty confusing.
It was the original icon in 2001 but since that DCA failed more or less, The Carthay Circle Theater is the icon of the
"New" DCA, even though Grizzly Peak is still there it is no longer the park icon.

Californian Elitist

It was the original icon in 2001 but since that DCA failed more or less, The Carthay Circle Theater is the icon of the
"New" DCA, even though Grizzly Peak is still there it is no longer the park icon.

Grizzly Peak is still the park's icon. DCA is using three icons, at the moment, Grizzly being used the least, but still used.

I think's it's sometimes natural for the Disney parks to have two icons. Sleeping Beauty Castle is Disneyland's, but over time, the Matterhorn has also become Disneyland's icon.

I can easily see DHS having two icons.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Not quite. Part of the concept is the independence of the structural system.
True, although the "concept" as originally planned was to provide a full sphere suspended above the ground (or at least the appearance of such). The independent support was necessary because of structural limitations on supporting a true sphere in that manner. While it's technically not a "true sphere" in terms of it's structure, the vast majority of people don't know that (and that's the point).

Admiral01

Premium Member
This got me thinking today. The argument of the BAH lovers out there (you know who you are) is that the hat is a Disney icon and the Chinese Theater is not...and that all the other Disney theme parks have Disney icons, and so DHS deserves one too. This ignores the fact that the Earful Tower was the icon of DHS before that BAH got dropped on Hollywood Blvd.

So, I got to thinking about the other icons. None of the Disney theme parks have an icon that is completely Disney. They are all based on something else. Each has a Disney touch, but none is original Disney. Let me explain:
Disneyland/Magic Kingdom/Paris/Tokyo/Hong Kong: Castle based on the real Neuschwanstein
EPCOT: Geodesic Sphere based on the concept (displayed at the 1967 Worlds Fair and 1939 Worlds Fair a little)
DCA: Carthay Circle Theater based on the actual theater
AK: A big tree based on a tree (found in nature)
DisneySea: Either the AquaSphere based on the planet Earth, or Mt. Prometheus based on a volcano (also found in nature)
Walt Disney Studios Park Paris: Their own Earful Tower based on the water towers that movie studios have (GASP! Just like DHS used to have as its icon!)

None of these are truly Disney originals like the BAH, but they all work. To be honest, the Earful tower of the Studios parks is the most uniquely Disney of them all.

Just my thoughts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom