Astro Orbiter and TTA Refurbishment in 2014

meyeet

att-141Ecopy.jpg
??

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That explains it. Were you trying to more closely match the routing of DL's? Speedway was expanded in 73, then shortened in 87.
Nope. I drew this from one of the original WEDway blueprints for WDW.

Speedway actually shrunk in 73-4. They needed more space between it and the Skyway building for Space Mountain access since the Coaster was originally planned where the CoP is.

TinkerBelle8878

Wasn't the TTA down for a while back in 2009? I know it was when I was there then. What was done that they're now shutting it again?

I hope nothing major happens to it. Its my favorite place in MK.

To the people talking about the Handicapped accessible issue, why would the track have to be widened? The simplest solution would be the AO elevator make a stop at the TTA level and make one or two cars in a train or two for handicapped guests? Why would it require track widening? (Just confused)

Uddy

It was a concept. I drew it!

This was one of the original proposed Peoplemover routes before Space Port morphed into Space Mountain.

The TTA/WEDway has never been altered / shortened. The Raceway underneath it has in 1974 but thats all.
Very cool. Thanks for clarifying. I thought I had missed out. Now I feel better. Nice drawing

Neph-Neph

It did open, in May 1998 and then it operated for several years. I rode it a bunch of times in the late 1990's. But it wasn't very good. Basically a hot rod version of the PeopleMover. But the real problem was that all the new G-forces the vehicles were exerting on the PeopleMover track meant the thing was literally tearing itself apart. It was closed for safety and engineering reasons.

Here's an on-ride video of it from the end of its run in 2000, with the new Autopia under construction then. The front seat was actually pretty fun, at least on some sections of the track.

Thanks for posting this. I knew part of it's failures was using the existing track as is which meant they had to slow down in the turns since they weren't banked. What I didn't know was just how frequent those turns were! Seems absolutely silly watching it.

TP2000

Thanks for posting this. I knew part of it's failures was using the existing track as is which meant they had to slow down in the turns since they weren't banked. What I didn't know was just how frequent those turns were! Seems absolutely silly watching it.

It was silly. Right when you'd get to a good part and you caught some serious speed, the thing would brake hard to make a turn or two. Then speed up, then brake for a turn. Speed up, then brake. Over and over. It was dumb. It did provide nice views of Tomorrowland, and was much more fun at night. But it just wasn't good enough, and then add the engineering problems that developed with the track after a couple years of usage and it was probably the right decision to pull the plug on it.

rct247

Original Poster
Wasn't the TTA down for a while back in 2009? I know it was when I was there then. What was done that they're now shutting it again?

I hope nothing major happens to it. Its my favorite place in MK.

To the people talking about the Handicapped accessible issue, why would the track have to be widened? The simplest solution would be the AO elevator make a stop at the TTA level and make one or two cars in a train or two for handicapped guests? Why would it require track widening? (Just confused)

It was closed in 2009 due to the Space Mountain refurbishment. They enclosed the load area with a ceiling which directly affected the TTA track. During that time, TTA got a little bit of TLC with some new paint, name change, and some minor programming updates.

The reason that the track would have to be widened is in the event the ride must be evacuated. Since the track is so long and if wheelchairs were able to be loaded, how would you unload them in the event of an emergency. Attractions like Space Mountain are only 2 minutes and 30 seconds while TTA is around 10 minutes I think. I'm honestly not sure how certain track attractions handle this situation, but it along with the lack of storage, steep ramp, and requirement for a new special ride vehicle (which may be a different weight and may not be propelled down the track using the same magnetic power the same way as the other trains) are all reasons why it is very difficult to make the attraction accessible. Just like Swiss Family Treehouse. Making all the stairs ramps or installing an elevator just isn't going to make it accessible.

articos

Nope. I drew this from one of the original WEDway blueprints for WDW.

Speedway actually shrunk in 73-4. They needed more space between it and the Skyway building for Space Mountain access since the Coaster was originally planned where the CoP is.
Interesting...I have it from Gurr that Speedway moved a bit for SM, but it was actually expanded at the same time in 73. Have to ask and see if his memory is faulty or I'm misunderstanding. Then it was chopped for Birthdayland, as we know.

Neph-Neph

It was silly. Right when you'd get to a good part and you caught some serious speed, the thing would brake hard to make a turn or two. Then speed up, then brake for a turn. Speed up, then brake. Over and over. It was dumb. It did provide nice views of Tomorrowland, and was much more fun at night. But it just wasn't good enough, and then add the engineering problems that developed with the track after a couple years of usage and it was probably the right decision to pull the plug on it.

Sounds like driving on the interstate in traffic. I can get that experience just about any time!

Prock3

Just read al's update, here's how you can tell he made it up.

This is a tron LIGHTCYCLE!!!!
trrron.jpg

This is a SPEEDERBIKE!!!

74-Z_Military_Speeder_Bike.jpg

THEY ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS!!!
Any credible source with inside knowledge to this project would know the difference and wouldn't mix them together.

Californian Elitist

trrron.jpg

This is a SPEEDERBIKE!!!

74-Z_Military_Speeder_Bike.jpg

Any credible source with inside knowledge to this project would know the difference and wouldn't mix them together.

Why would he waste time to make all of that up? The Tron attraction has been rumored for Disneyland before.

Cosmic Commando

This is a SPEEDERBIKE!!!

There may be some mix-up because the ride system for a lightcycle ride would probably be based on is literally called a motorbike coaster. It's not too far of a leap to go from "bike coaster" to "speeder bikes"... because, you know... they're bikes and they go fast.

TropicalFig8

It did open, in May 1998 and then it operated for several years. I rode it a bunch of times in the late 1990's. But it wasn't very good. Basically a hot rod version of the PeopleMover. But the real problem was that all the new G-forces the vehicles were exerting on the PeopleMover track meant the thing was literally tearing itself apart. It was closed for safety and engineering reasons.

Here's an on-ride video of it from the end of its run in 2000, with the new Autopia under construction then. The front seat was actually pretty fun, at least on some sections of the track.

Oh, so that's what that ride was.

With going so fast, I'm surprised none of the vehicles went flying off the track...did they?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom