Pixie Hollow To Replace Swiss Family Treehouse?

#OccupyBeastlyKingdom

Original Poster
Via wdwthemeparks.com per Jim Hill's 03/11/2013 Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast:

Rumor Status: Blue Sky
On the March 11th episode of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish podcast, Jim Hill mentioned that the Pixie Hollow concept that was part of the original incarnation of New Fantasyland is being reconsidered again. This time it would be located in Adventureland and utilize the existing structure of the Swiss Family Treehouse.

While the concept of Pixie Hollow doesn't exactly scream "adventure", I think few of us can argue that SFT is relevant outside of nostalgia and a rework was coming sooner or later. This would bring some balance to a stereotypically boy-centric land in the park. And as long as it's done unobtrusively, I really wouldn't mind. It's not an attraction I would visit, but I do have younger family members who would enjoy this.

dopeylover

First off, welcome! I know what you mean by 'boycentric area of the park', but you'll find quite a lot of people who think they're aren't ENOUGH 'boycentric' things at WDW, and there's no need for another 'girl themed' area, if you will. I guess it's a new way to do the treehouse, but I for one am Tinkerbell-ed out. But that's just me, outside of the original Peter Pan movie, I find what they've done to the character annoying, lol!

baymenxpac

I'm not opposed to replacing SFT (along it's decent enough as something to check out when you have time in the area), but I don't like Pixie Hollow as a thematic fit. There is additional room around Fantasy Land can can be used for such an attraction if they felt it was needed.

i'll second this. it's not that i'm opposed to sprucing up SFT or replacing it, but pixie hollow is a silly idea IMO. i don't know how anyone else feels, but to me, SFT is the last respite of unadulterated, old school adventureland. to see it go would be a shame, especially at the expense of more permanent meet and greet locations.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Bad idea. Very bad idea. Pixies hanging out in Adventureland is about as cogent as Star Wars characters on Main Street. But I wouldn't put it past TDO to do something as lame as this.

Thematic integrity and cohesion mean nothing to them. Look at all the misplaced merchandise being sold throughout the parks now, like princess t-shirts outside of Fantasyland and MSA. But the sharp pencil guys simply do not care. "Make a buck make a buck make a buck buck buck any which way you can." That's their motto.

Truth be told, I fully expect to see this idea implemented unless cooler heads from Burbank prevail. But very few of those exist anymore, so... all bets are off.

Evicting SFR out of the treehouse for a more profitable property would be the 21st Century Disney Way. It will cost them less than building a brand new area for the pixies up in Fantasyland, and could possibly revive a stagnant area of the park.

Of course, the Adventureland theme will continue to erode by doing this, but TDO is no longer concerned with such trivial matters. Gotta get those numbers up for the quarter, integrity of theme be damned.

:mad:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
SFT has a very small footprint itself. But there is plenty of wasted space around the attraction.

I love the treehouse, but I wouldn't mind if some of that wasted space was utilized.

Goofyernmost

I don't think Swiss Family Treehouse is going anywhere. It is a very low maintenance, low CM requirement with almost no mechanical extras. Besides, if you haven't noticed it has become a part of the landscape. I would almost believe the tree is real at this point. It has a small foot print which wouldn't lend itself to to much of anything else. I think it's there to stay for awhile.

JustInTime

I don't think Swiss Family Treehouse is going anywhere. It is a very low maintenance, low CM requirement with almost no mechanical extras. Besides, if you haven't noticed it has become a part of the landscape. I would almost believe the tree is real at this point. It has a small foot print which wouldn't lend itself to to much of anything else. I think it's there to stay for awhile.
Well,the OP said nothing about it being removed, just rethemed.

TP2000

Bad idea. Very bad idea. Pixies hanging out in Adventureland is about as cogent as Star Wars characters on Main Street. But I wouldn't put it past TDO to do something as lame as this.

I hate to ruin your weekend, but...

Adventureland is the current location of the Tinkerbell N' Fairy Friends Meet N' Greet at Magic Kingdom Park. TDO has already done this. Not sure how Tink themes to Spanish-Colonial architecture, but there she is!
5992295902_85f39d8ddd.jpg

The Pixie Hollow concept at Disneyland is very well done, and sits in a thematically neutral area of the park just off the Hub that had simply been generic gardens for a few decades.

Queue Into Pixie Hollow - Disneyland
4843234132_ba62430a0b_z.jpg

Surely there are some nice garden areas at the vastly larger Magic Kingdom Park where they could install a WDW version of Pixie Hollow without getting Adventureland involved?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom