Why is ABC Commissary so bad?

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
Let me first say we have not been to ABC since late ‘90s, early ‘00s. While I believe the reviewers, I just don’t understand how the food quality/preparation could be different from the other QS burgers and dogs. What could the issue be? And how can it not seem to ever get better?

Must point out that if we do QS at all at DHS, it is either Starring Rolls or Pizza Planet.

disneysince71

My 17 year old daughter just walked up behind me and said are the talking about "ABC Commissary its disgusting!"
Over many years we have had many trips and they have just not been good. Its very crowded. The food seems to be cold most of the time.. The fish and fries are always greasy. It has just not worked for us.
On the POSTIVE side we ate there at the Pop Warner Party in December. Because it was a special event the food was included so everything was free. We tried several NEW things on the menu Salmon, Grilled Chicken, and they where all very good. So I think they have heard the reviews and they are trying but I would still stick to your original choices of SR and PP... Have fun! :)

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
My 17 year old daughter just walked up behind me and said are the talking about "ABC Commissary its disgusting!"
Over many years we have had many trips and they have just not been good. Its very crowded. The food seems to be cold most of the time.. The fish and fries are always greasy. It has just not worked for us.
:)
Just out of curiosity, is the food the same as the rest of the QS joints? I mean burgers to burgers, fish to fish, not the "unique" stuff.

**edit** Tempted to go back just to see if it is really that bad **end**

keylimesqueeze

Just out of curiosity, is the food the same as the rest of the QS joints? I mean burgers to burgers, fish to fish, not the "unique" stuff.

**edit** Tempted to go back just to see if it is really that bad **end**
IDK...its puzzling. We took a 6year hiatus from there, went back, and it sucked just the same. Never have had anything good from there.

Figgy1

Premium Member
On the POSTIVE side we ate there at the Pop Warner Party in December. Because it was a special event the food was included so everything was free. We tried several NEW things on the menu Salmon, Grilled Chicken, and they where all very good. So I think they have heard the reviews and they are trying but I would still stick to your original choices of SR and PP... Have fun! :)
OK I'm gonna give it one more try!

Club Cooloholic

These qs that are bad threads are funny. Same food as in other qs places that feature burgers etc... I thought it was ok, liked the location and shade.
Sorry edit here, I was thinking of backlot, but still they are same products

Ember

Glad I read this. We were planning on this being our QS. Crap. Any suggestions on a better QS place?

disneycouple07

When did ABC Commissary change the menu? We ate there in 2010 and didn't have any complaints. It was a decent lunch for a being a QS. It was later in the day so it wasn't crowded, the AC was cold and food hot.

Mrs.Toad

I heard that through several menu item changes there is just stuff that people don't like, and a lot is quality and prep.

I don't know because I have never been there. I can't give up Sci-Fi for lunch or the 50's.

Ember

We're doing Sci-Fi for dinner. Never done that before and really excited! Wanted to do a qs for lunch and the menu at ABC looks really good, but have never been there either.

Mrs.Toad

I love Sci-Fi for lunch but I may have to get there for dinner.

Sombody, in the food thread, posted a penne dish with shrimp and cream sauce and it looked so good I almost fell off my couch.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
I like eating there. The Curry is great.
We ate there on our last trip for the first time, and had the basic burgers and fries, and I really didn't think it was bad at all!
Good to hear, as so many say this place is bad overall, and most are really hard on the burgers! Just don't understand how it could be any different than the rest QS on property...

Mrs.Toad

I don't know if that place gets as crowded as say a Pecos Bill's?
QS burgers are tricky. They may not be fresh, being frozen, but if they don't sit or get tanned under the warming lamps too long, and they can stay somewhat juicy, they taste good. If they sit and are not warm, they tend to get dry and stagnant and taste it. At that point even cheese and condiments can't help much.

Sometimes when I get QS burgers, I can tell just by looking at it if I have a shot at enjoying it or not.

I was looking at their menu.
They have it for kids but they may want to add chicken tenders. They hold up better. Also, I saw something called the chicken blue. What is that?

I also saw a cheeseburger and fried shrimp combo. That is, er, interesting. Pretty great if you like both and can get them together.

Ariel484

We ate there in 2009, and I honestly don't even remember what I got...what sticks out the most i my mind was the constant loop of ads for shows on ABC playing over and over and over. That was obnoxious enough to make me never want to go back.
Glad I read this. We were planning on this being our QS. Crap. Any suggestions on a better QS place?
In the Studios? Try Starring Rolls (only open until 4) or Backlot Express. :)...or do what we do and walk to Epcot to eat somewhere in the World Showcase.

Dad 2 M & M

Original Poster
In the Studios? Try Starring Rolls (only open until 4) or Backlot Express. :)...or do what we do and walk to Epcot to eat somewhere in the World Showcase.
Backlot Express food and service were mediocre in December, but is usually very good. Another QS is Fairfax Fair, located just before you get to ToT, RnR area. FF Has the same chicken and ribs combo as Cosmic Ray's.

Starring Rolls is DHS' best, no doubt. They close early afternoon, so get there by 2:00 to be safe. Great sweets and pretty fair sandwiches for QS. Portions are large.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom