PHOTOS - IBM THINK interactive exhibit opens at Epcot's Innoventions

ThemeParks4Life

download.php

TP2000

IBM has a wonderful history of presenting intelligent and thought provoking exhibits at World's Fairs and expositions. The IBM exhibit at the New York World's Fair was brilliant (architecture by Saarinen and film by Eames), and the other public exhibit films IBM commissioned by the great Charles & Ray Eames in the 1960's are iconic pieces of modern art.

This new Epcot exhibit has visuals and clean design that evoke those famous IBM exhibits of the past. It doesn't looke like the WACKY! over-saturated kiddy exhibit you'd find at your average "Kids Museum" of the 21st century, but it looks like the classy and smart exhibits IBM did for World's Fairs in the past.

IBM, and most other companies, assumed their customers were smart and educated and could deal with subject matter above the 8th grade level in the World's Fair pavilions of the 20th century. It looks like IBM is still making that assumption about its 21st century customers.

I'll be interested to see what concepts and information IBM is exhibiting here this spring.

Epcotbob

I have to agree, it looks like a sterile, boring art gallery. Who's going to spend valuable time at Epcot reading information displays In the age of smartphones, tablets and always available internet?

There should be gadgets and cool immersive displays that give you an experience that you can't get sitting in a Starbucks with your Ipad.

HM GhostHostess

I was lucky enough to experience IBM's new THINK exhibit on its opening day, January 6th, while I was visiting Epcot earlier this week. For those of you who think the exhibit looks boring or uninviting, I thought that it was very sleek and organized.

The new THINK exhibit is a great step in the right direction for Epcot. The information that is presented isn't dumbed down; it feels like IBM created an exhibit for inquisitive individuals who are receptive to knowledge.

The 10 minute intro film is thought provoking and well put together. It addresses some of the important concepts and questions that were important to people in the past, as well as today. After you exit the film viewing area, you are led into the main exhibit room.

On the wall that encloses the film viewing area, there are several interactive screens that provide a simple activity in which you have several images that you attempt to match together in digital basketball-like game. After you match the correct images, information is provided about what those images represent and an important event in the history of science or technology, that pertains to the images, is revealed. A cast member also gives you a specific button for each game you "win." This is something kids, in particular, might enjoy, but they will still be educated in the process.

The main part of the exhibit is the interactive screen stations that are positioned around the room. The use of technology in these touch screens is quite stylish and is efficient in its job. This is my favorite part of the exhibit. Each station provides an expansive amount of information about historic and scientific breakthroughs, as well as citing IBM's involvement in creating the world we know today. The stations provide information specific to the categories of Seeing, Mapping, Understanding, Believing, and Acting.

Along the entire border of the exhibit room is an information wall that cites many different important events in IBM's history and provides insight into a large number of significant inventions.

IBM has hit a home run with this exhibit at Epcot. I actually learned a lot from this exhibit, which is something I haven't been able to say about an Epcot attraction for a long time.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I was lucky enough to experience IBM's new THINK exhibit on its opening day, January 6th, while I was visiting Epcot earlier this week. For those of you who think the exhibit looks boring or uninviting, I thought that it was very sleek and organized.

The new THINK exhibit is a great step in the right direction for Epcot. The information that is presented isn't dumbed down; it feels like IBM created an exhibit for inquisitive individuals who are receptive to knowledge.

The 10 minute intro film is thought provoking and well put together. It addresses some of the important concepts and questions that were important to people in the past, as well as today. After you exit the film viewing area, you are led into the main exhibit room.

On the wall that encloses the film viewing area, there are several interactive screens that provide a simple activity in which you have several images that you attempt to match together in digital basketball-like game. After you match the correct images, information is provided about what those images represent and an important event in the history of science or technology, that pertains to the images, is revealed. A cast member also gives you a specific button for each game you "win." This is something kids, in particular, might enjoy, but they will still be educated in the process.

The main part of the exhibit is the interactive screen stations that are positioned around the room. The use of technology in these touch screens is quite stylish and is efficient in its job. This is my favorite part of the exhibit. Each station provides an expansive amount of information about historic and scientific breakthroughs, as well as citing IBM's involvement in creating the world we know today. The stations provide information specific to the categories of Seeing, Mapping, Understanding, Believing, and Acting.

Along the entire border of the exhibit room is an information wall that cites many different important events in IBM's history and provides insight into a large number of significant inventions.

IBM has hit a home run with this exhibit at Epcot. I actually learned a lot from this exhibit, which is something I haven't been able to say about an Epcot attraction for a long time.
That's what I was hoping to hear. Had a feeling IBM would do a good job. Now I can't wait to see it

jlsHouston

"IBM" and "innovative gadgets to test and play with" do not belong in the same sentence. They got out of that business a long time ago.

well maybe not, according to this techie stock thing I subscribe to they are in the top 10 of companies with the most patents filed annually ahead of Google and Apple...who'd da thunk it...

jlsHouston

I personally like the sleek and sterile look, to me that smacks of modern, very unbusy of course compared to what your eyes normally rest upon at the theme parks. I especially like the wall that I believe represents bits of data/information...

Dreamers Empire

Wow, I'm a huge fan of Epcot but this is horribly disappointing and I don't hold any allegiance to the executives making these decisions. Have any of you seen whats become of the Worlds Fairs? Yup, they do exist. Maybe you thought the last one was in 1964, and lets just say, thats the last good one. Now they have become like a modern art gallery where they present you with blank canvases and your imagination. When I'm looking at modern art I scratch my head, more because the guy standing next to me seems to be getting something out of it. Future World attractions used to carry a theme showing us a glimpse of what might be. Great attractions like Horizons showed modern cities with new skyscrapers, cool transportation, video phones, farms with small spaceships gathering oranges. I didn't have to imagine the smell of that orange, they piped it in :) We won't see that in any of these screens. Communicore held the 'wonderment' aspect much better than Innoventions. I'm thoroughly disappointed in this direction.

TP2000

Stop it! You aren't supposed to learn anything at an Epcot exhibit without a Whack-A-Mole game and a screeching host in a purple polo shirt forcing people to jump around a padded room before they can get a free sticker.

You read words formed into entire paragraphs in this IBM exhibit? And pondered the concepts laid out in the film? And felt engaged by the subject matter thoughtfully presented in a stylish environment? I hope you went to Guest Relations and complained. :D

muteki

well maybe not, according to this techie stock thing I subscribe to they are in the top 10 of companies with the most patents filed annually ahead of Google and Apple...who'd da thunk it...

You are right, but most of IBM's energy is not directed at anything tangible the average consumer will ever see. The I and B in IBM is the company's focus, you will not see a new "gadget" with IBM's name on it anytime soon.

Epcotbob

Seriously? Do you guys work for IBM or something?

Granted, I haven't "experienced" it yet (which seems like an oxymoron), but I can't imagine the big displays would be so explosively interesting as to overcome the sterile, boring, art-gallery look.

Maybe I need to put on a tuxedo and sip on champagne to appreciate it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom