Splitsville Blog Meet-Up

WDW1974

With the exception of the wdwfigment>tom_bricker thing (which I did solely because I *hate* the wdwfigment name), I don't think you're mostly right. I will freely admit that I've willingly brought a lot of attention upon myself and opened myself to criticism because of that. I have a blog and have been quoted as an "expert" in a few places, but I'll be the first to admit that I should not be considered an expert. I have opinions, and I happen to like them, but plenty of others disagree with them on very solid bases.

That said, I think "internet privacy" is an evolving concept, and one we'll continue to hear about in the next few years. Is Lou Mongello a public figure based on his social habits? Yes. Am I? Probably. Is Jane Doe who happens to express an opinion in a snarky way, which (unbeknowst to her) goes viral? I don't think so. While I don't like some of the flak I've caught on these boards, I can understand the basis for it. Point being, just because someone puts info out there online doesn't necessarily make them ripe for editorialization.

ETA: right, not wrong, in the first paragraph.

Internet privacy is definitely evolving and not necessarily for the better. We don't have the respect for privacy that nations in Europe do. ... But you certainly are a public figure to large degree. Not as public as say Justin Bieber or Hillary Clinton (just wanted to get them in the same sentence, gotta have some fun) but one nonetheless. When I see your pics on the front of the Miami Herald travel section and read quotes inside from your boss, Len, it places you guys in the open.

That doesn't mean I should be able to make fun of your socks. But the world isn't always fair or just.

WDWFigment

Internet privacy is definitely evolving and not necessarily for the better. We don't have the respect for privacy that nations in Europe do. ... But you certainly are a public figure to large degree. Not as public as say Justin Bieber or Hillary Clinton (just wanted to get them in the same sentence, gotta have some fun) but one nonetheless. When I see your pics on the front of the Miami Herald travel section and read quotes inside from your boss, Len, it places you guys in the open.

That doesn't mean I should be able to make fun of your socks. But the world isn't always fair or just.

I will not stand for your vendetta against my socks!!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't believe MAGIC has any presence at say the MK Fantasyland party or on the Dream launch. Steve certainly has folks in O-Town who feed him news and, often, photos. I also wouldn't term this a Lifestyle site anymore than I would Miceage. Fan sites, yes. But that's semantics. As to your questions regarding media events and the site, I think only @wdwmagic can answer those.

You would be correct. WDWMAGIC has not been at any of the openings as an invited guest during our 15 years doing this.

Of course when I started this, the only people that were invited were big media groups - newspapers, tv and radio.

WDW1974

What I've learned via Twitter in the last 24 hours:

Which I honestly didn't know! Imagine my surprise!
So I attempted to learn more by asking why that was.

Holy carp! Who knew that posting here instead of Twitter makes one "stupid" or "dumb"? I sure didn't. Silly me.

Still trying to find the part where I insulted somebody...

To be fair, your wife has called you worse before. But DD is one of the smartest Spirits I know and she would never marry a stupid guy.

Now, who's calling you stupid?

And why would posting on an open forum be considered stupid while posting on a very closed forum not be?

WDWFigment

Internet privacy is definitely evolving and not necessarily for the better. We don't have the respect for privacy that nations in Europe do. ... But you certainly are a public figure to large degree. Not as public as say Justin Bieber or Hillary Clinton (just wanted to get them in the sam
e sentence, gotta have some fun) but one nonetheless. When I see your pics on the front of the Miami Herald travel section and read quotes inside from your boss, Len, it places you guys in the open.

I don't disagree with this. You'll also notice that I come here (when I can) to address any "issues" I have directly rather than just complaining on Twitter. I think Kevin and I are the only bloggers who do that

WDW1974

I very much agree with this - and it seems that a lot of people on twitter seem to be envious of the "good" that anonymity brings with it. That's why there is always the argument that people on forums like this "hide" behind their usernames and don't publish their identity. Nobody forces anyone on twitter to use their own name and tweet openly. So that's a choice. Just as others have the right to choose to "hide". Each has to live with the consequences of their choice.

Very well said.

And people who choose anonymity are not necessarily 'hiding' ... they just opt to keep their private life, well, private.

WDWFigment

To be fair, your wife has called you worse before. But DD is one of the smartest Spirits I know and she would never marry a stupid guy.

Now, who's calling you stupid?

And why would posting on an open forum be considered stupid while posting on a very closed forum not be?

I think our wives would get along. My wife's most common phrase is, "oh god, you're arguing on the internet again!" followed by an eye roll. My assurances that they're really important arguments don't carry much weight.

ETA: Totally unrelated, but as long as we're talking about wives... it has always bothered me that people think I "force" my wife to stay in the parks late. You all should see her with the iPhone. I am ALWAYS ready to leave before she is. She's pretty...but she's a major dork. /endrant

lazyboy97o

While WDWMagic definitely gets a lot of information and content quickly, I think the anonymity behind the content is what differentiates it from almost all of the other Disney sites. There is no building of personalities.

WDWFigment

You would be correct. WDWMAGIC has not been at any of the openings as an invited guest during our 15 years doing this.

Of course when I started this, the only people that were invited were big media groups - newspapers, tv and radio.

Wow, I'm shocked. I really thought you had at least a few people in Orlando who went to the events.

In any case, as I said, I think you're doing a bang up job. I'm still ed about the lack of multi-quotes...but I'll get over it.

Lee

Adventurer
I think our wives would get along. My wife's most common phrase is, "oh god, you're arguing on the internet again!" followed by an eye roll. My assurances that they're really important arguments don't carry much weight.
You should see my wife during a meal with me, '74 and Epcot Explorer. Her eyes glass over and she tunes us out about 2 minutes in.

WDWFigment

You should see my wife during a meal with me, '74 and Epcot Explorer. Her eyes glass over and she tunes us out about 2 minutes in.

My wife wanted to meet '74 on Epcot's 30th. At first, she would have bitched him out for the DCA event thing (she's way over-protective), then I fear they would have become best friends about 2 minutes later. I'm sort of glad he didn't say hello to us! ;)

WDW1974

I don't disagree with this. You'll also notice that I come here (when I can) to address any "issues" I have directly rather than just complaining on Twitter. I think Kevin and I are the only bloggers who do that

And that's why (one reason anyway) why I respect you.

The best thing about this site (and the few left like it) is open discussion. I often am accused of wanting everyone to agree with me (just because I am right most of the time) when I find that incredibly boring. Different opinions make the world go around (although, to be fair, it largely sucks)

And while I like Kevin a lot personally, he'll be the first to tell you we don't agree on everything or close to it. But he doesn't hide either and will defend his views/opinions.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
While WDWMagic definitely gets a lot of information and content quickly, I think the anonymity behind the content is what differentiates it from almost all of the other Disney sites. There is no building of personalities.
I basically just like to give the info and leave it at that. I'm not into trying to become a Disney internet celebrity.

Animaniac93-98

I've seen this site (and miceage) on Disney's own surveys before, its been around for 15 years and has been my prefered place to find WDW updates and rumours for years now while all these other "lifestyle" sites that get name dropped hear are places I've never heard of or never think to check (though I've come to regularily check Orlandoparksnews). They could at least give your team something while they're handing out stuff to everyone else. :)

WDW1974

ETA: Totally unrelated, but as long as we're talking about wives... it has always bothered me that people think I "force" my wife to stay in the parks late. You all should see her with the iPhone. I am ALWAYS ready to leave before she is. She's pretty...but she's a major dork. /endrant

I think knowing Mrs. Lee quite well (she calls me her other husband) and seeing pics of your lovely other half, I am quite confident in saying you both married up ... quite a bit ... more than that actually!

I find it hard to believe that anyone can outdork you, let alone your Mrs!:D (we really need more smileys here)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom