Splitsville Blog Meet-Up

StrikerObi

OK, I never post here but after reading this entire thread I had to chime in. The whole thing was very interesting. I hope my low post count (might even be zero, I'm not bothering to check) doesn't make me not credible. I have had an account here for a long as time as a lurker. Anyway, I am a huge Disney fan, but I am not really that into the Disney community (though back in high school I posted a lot to the Rec.Arts.Disney.Parks newsgroups, and created my own Disney site on my parents' Earthlink account, way back in the early '00s).

Anyway, I'm very active in the video game community online. I write for NintendoWorldReport.com (a fan-run site), I launched the RadioFreeNintendo podcast, and I'm currently on the NWR Connectivity Podcast. Since our site has a good readership, we get invited to press events. Our director went to WDW in early October to check out Epic Mickey 3DS. This was on Disney's dime: flight, room at the Grand Flo, park admission, and special tours. Then, a few weeks later, they flew me out to Disneyland to check out Epic Mickey 2. Flight, room at the Grand Cali, park admission, special tours, and dinner at Club 33. So yes, Disney will wine and dine the ever living crap out of you.

So as a mostly outsider to this community, but also somebody who has experienced these types of events, I think I can offer a unique perspective.

To the folks saying attending these media events isn't really "work". I take some issue with that, but I also agree with you a lot. I have been to E3 (the Electronics Entertainment Expo, every video game nerd's wet dream) five times. I paid my own way every time, but did get into the show for free with a media badge. I will honestly tell you that I have never busted my harder in my life working than the amount of work I did at E3. Our site was the first on the internet to reveal the "GameCube" name and logo. I'd wake up super early and be up super late, walking around that damn giant convention center for three days straight trying to play as many games as I could so I could write about them for our loyal readers that couldn't make it to the show themselves. I was assigned to cover a lot of games. We did try to dole out assignments to people that were interested in the game, but everybody had to play some crap games too. And if there was time, I'd squeeze in a few games for personal enjoyment (being a Nintendo writer, this is when I would play Xbox and PlayStation games).

So, I empathize with those who argue that coving a media event held by an entertainment industry isn't really work. It is work. HOWEVER, during those three days of intense work at E3, I was having the time of my life. The same is true of my trip to Disneyland for Epic Mickey 2. So I also agree with those that say, in some way, it is not "work" in the sense that it very enjoyable. Now, I have only ever covered videogames as a hobby, but I have a lot of friends that do it for a job. Can you really blame somebody for figuring out how to get paid for doing what they love? I can't. Doing so just makes you seem jealous.

This is why I don't take any offense to a guy like Lou Mongello. It is clearly evident that he busts his on his site and his podcast, and because of that I respect him. He consistently produces interesting, high quality, exclusive, and insightful content. He is also far too "sunshines and rainbows" happy for me, but I am willing to look past his seemingly 100% positive view of everything Disney because his content is good and I can tell he really gives a darn about doing a good job. I do not think that Lou is abusing this event system. I only mention him as an example of how to do the job properly.

These folks out there that are attending these media events and then also piggybacking up by getting in to the blog events, I don't think that's very cool of them. They are, in some way, gaming the system and it just sucks. Imagine you're a young kid out in Idaho and you miss the event list by 1 refresh because a greedy blogger wanted to ride Radiator Springs Racers twice. It's just cold. Walt would not do that.

However, the bigger issue is definitely with Disney. They have the means to control this issue, yet they do not. I think a fair solution would be to let the bloggers attend all the media events they can make it to, but every household should only be allowed to go to one blog event every so often (every 12 months, for example).

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
OK, I never post here but after reading this entire thread I had to chime in. The whole thing was very interesting. I hope my low post count (might even be zero, I'm not bothering to check) doesn't make me not credible. I have had an account here for a long as time as a lurker. Anyway, I am a huge Disney fan, but I am not really that into the Disney community (though back in high school I posted a lot to the Rec.Arts.Disney.Parks newsgroups, and created my own Disney site on my parents' Earthlink account, way back in the early '00s).

Anyway, I'm very active in the video game community online. I write for NintendoWorldReport.com (a fan-run site), I launched the RadioFreeNintendo podcast, and I'm currently on the NWR Connectivity Podcast. Since our site has a good readership, we get invited to press events. Our director went to WDW in early October to check out Epic Mickey 3DS. This was on Disney's dime: flight, room at the Grand Flo, park admission, and special tours. Then, a few weeks later, they flew me out to Disneyland to check out Epic Mickey 2. Flight, room at the Grand Cali, park admission, special tours, and dinner at Club 33. So yes, Disney will wine and dine the ever living crap out of you.

So as a mostly outsider to this community, but also somebody who has experienced these types of events, I think I can offer a unique perspective.

To the folks saying attending these media events isn't really "work". I take some issue with that, but I also agree with you a lot. I have been to E3 (the Electronics Entertainment Expo, every video game nerd's wet dream) five times. I paid my own way every time, but did get into the show for free with a media badge. I will honestly tell you that I have never busted my harder in my life working than the amount of work I did at E3. Our site was the first on the internet to reveal the "GameCube" name and logo. I'd wake up super early and be up super late, walking around that damn giant convention center for three days straight trying to play as many games as I could so I could write about them for our loyal readers that couldn't make it to the show themselves. I was assigned to cover a lot of games. We did try to dole out assignments to people that were interested in the game, but everybody had to play some crap games too. And if there was time, I'd squeeze in a few games for personal enjoyment (being a Nintendo writer, this is when I would play Xbox and PlayStation games).

So, I empathize with those who argue that coving a media event held by an entertainment industry isn't really work. It is work. HOWEVER, during those three days of intense work at E3, I was having the time of my life. The same is true of my trip to Disneyland for Epic Mickey 2. So I also agree with those that say, in some way, it is not "work" in the sense that it very enjoyable. Now, I have only ever covered videogames as a hobby, but I have a lot of friends that do it for a job. Can you really blame somebody for figuring out how to get paid for doing what they love? I can't. Doing so just makes you seem jealous.

This is why I don't take any offense to a guy like Lou Mongello. It is clearly evident that he busts his on his site and his podcast, and because of that I respect him. He consistently produces interesting, high quality, exclusive, and insightful content. He is also far too "sunshines and rainbows" happy for me, but I am willing to look past his seemingly 100% positive view of everything Disney because his content is good and I can tell he really gives a darn about doing a good job. I do not think that Lou is abusing this event system. I only mention him as an example of how to do the job properly.

These folks out there that are attending these media events and then also piggybacking up by getting in to the blog events, I don't think that's very cool of them. They are, in some way, gaming the system and it just sucks. Imagine you're a young kid out in Idaho and you miss the event list by 1 refresh because a greedy blogger wanted to ride Radiator Springs Racers twice. It's just cold. Walt would not do that.

However, the bigger issue is definitely with Disney. They have the means to control this issue, yet they do not. I think a fair solution would be to let the bloggers attend all the media events they can make it to, but every household should only be allowed to go to one blog event every so often (every 12 months, for example).

I feel the larger issue here is good job vs accurate job. That is the larger stir here. Do you compromise your personal integrity and write only what the event planners want or do the honest ethical item and construct an accurate critique. Nothing anywhere is perfect. It is largely known the largest flaws in CL. The individuals largely in question are ignoring that. Doing a good job on an article can form an article entirely to fiction vs something as is. All for the next ticket on the brown flour and grease train.

Thanks for the input.

KevinYee

Yes, the problem is with Disney and who it is credentialing and who it isn't (you won't even see Kevin Yee at one ... hell, I don't think he's ever been to an event as a 'guest/plus one' of one of them because ... well, you don't want to be seen with anyone who might be fair')

Just joining this thread now. I've had a busy 24 hours with real life, sorry.

For the record, Disney does not credential me at their press events. I asked once, many years ago, and was told politely "we'll keep you in mind." They never followed up and I never raised the issue again. In many ways, it's preferable to not be invited. My day job means I wouldn't be able to go much of the time anyway, and it's nice to speak my mind without double-checking mentally if I will upset someone.

Irony of ironies... my wife is one of the people who got in for the Splitsville blog meet up. However, I'm not going with her. My mom is arriving in town that day and I'll hang out with her instead. My wife will bring a friend.

For what it's worth, I do think the process is not hand-selected on Disney's side - they really are just taking whoever is fastest (case in point: they let in a "Yee" at this recent event).

I think the 'repeat visitors' you see in those lists is because these are compulsive people who check twitter frequently. And I'll share one of the secrets: at least some of them set their cell phones to give them an audible notification whenever the DisneyParks blog RSS puts out a new article. That's especially handy on days when Jennifer Fickley Baker has said a big announcement is coming - she gives fair warning to the whole Internet. Neither I nor my wife use that notification trick; she just happened to see a Facebook post a few moments after that person sent in the email, so she was fast in replying.

Do I think it's unfair for people to go to more than one of these in a row? Absolutely. Given my druthers, I'd set a period of 6 (maybe 12) months of ineligibility after you win one, before you can win another.

I'm also completely stymied that D23 doesn't offer perks like this. You'd think if they wanted people to sign up for their little paid membership club they could do things that the Parks Blog people do with no membership fee at all.

Tigger1988

No one finds this thread and the fact that people are openly discussing other people's personal lives, creepy?

And before you ask (since it seems only those deemed worthy are allowed opinions). I have no "horse" in this race, I know none of these people, I have no blog, and I don't even have a public twitter. This thread seems to have crossed many lines, but I guess it's all in a day's work for some here.

WDWFigment

I have a horse in this race. I know Scarlett, and she's a great friend and (I think) a good mother. Some of you just deem her an internet scapegoat and forget that she's a real person. How would you feel if your personal life were put out there like hers is? Being on Twitter does not make you a public figure, no matter what some may here will say...

That said, I agree with most of this thread. Why Disney doesn't use a lottery system for these events (like they do for Disneyland Candlelight) is beyond me. Expecting people to always be in front of their computers is insane.

What I disagree with--in these social media conversations in general--is that Steve has allowed this thread to exist with numerous names from other websites without naming the people he has at all of these events. These events get covered here, as does every single media event, CM opening, etc., ...how do you all think that happens? This is the single-biggest "lifestyle" site on the internet. As you all about other lifestyle sites, does this site not bother you?

This is not a knock at Steve--despite forums fading into obsolescence elsewhere, Steve has been mindful of what the community wants, and has evolved his website accordingly. The latest iteration of this site is incredible. Steve and I may not see eye to eye on a lot of things, but he is excellent at running this website.

Swfewrmco

I havent posted in like 2 years. Or longer.

Yes, This thread got me out of the woodwork. I used to mainly hang in the PML & the photo forums.

Nice to see you again. Last time I heard from you two years ago, you were calling me the C word and telling me to die in PM. Good times!

ptaylor

Premium Member
I have a horse in this race. I know Scarlett, and she's a great friend and (I think) a good mother. Some of you just deem her an internet scapegoat and forget that she's a real person. How would you feel if your personal life were put out there like hers is? Being on Twitter does not make you a public figure, no matter what some may here will say...

Disney publish the names of all those attending the meets. Here is the latest http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ks-blog-meet-up-at-downtown-disney-attendees/
If anyone objects to having their name published, they should not sign up.

There are a group of people in the Disney community that are clearly trying to make a name for themselves. You fit into this group. I notice you recently changed your Twitter username from WDWFigment to TomBricker. It seems these days that a 'real person' name is more marketable online than a 'username'.

Now as soon as people start using their real names, and document every aspect of their life on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, 4square, and any other platform they can - they become very public. Frankly, privacy is out of the window at that point. These people are making it VERY clear to the world that they want the attention and exposure. It seems to be logical that if these people value their privacy, and do not want to be talked about, they should perhaps reconsider how public they make their lives.

ptaylor

Premium Member
Interesting to see that the Disney Parks Blog has published a comment stating what has been said here.
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...disney-parks-blog-meet-up-at-downtown-disney/

Emma from FL on December 12th, 2012 at 8:06 pm

This looks like a cool event. I noticed that a lot of the same people from previous Disney Parks Blog Meet Ups are going to this one as well. Some of them even attended the media preview. I think to be more fair to other people, those are invited to media events shouldn’t be allowed to go to these meet ups and those who were able to attend previous meet ups shouldn’t be able to go to multiple meet ups in a row. I think that these meet ups are a great opportunity for the fans to meet some of the people who work on these projects along with those who write on the Disney Parks Blog and to have a good time. I think that those without media access and who weren’t able to attend previous meet ups should have an opportunity to attend. I think that this will make the meet ups more diverse and people can get to know different people.

Gtovryslf

Original Poster
I won't post any links as all of us are pretty competent to find what we are looking for.
Like I said earlier, we've struck a nerve with some of these folks as they are still lashing out at the site and this thread on Twitter. It's pretty comical to read some of the things they are saying. It solidifies the viewpoint of 99% of the postings in this thread that a few of these folks value their own "work" and advice much more than the rest of the internet.

WDW1974

Wow.. that's a unique way to say 'thanks'

I wasn't thanking you because, frankly, I think your post did more to harm the cause then help it. ... Or at least that's what I heard was trending in the Twitverse led by Eddie Sotto's little buddy, Michael Crawford, who used to post here, but now (like many, sadly) would rather only talk to people that will always back them up.

I don't need lists and there doesn't have to be stats and a research project.

I see the lists when the Disney Parks Blog releases them and there are always a large segment of bloggers or friends/family/associates that are on these lists.

That's the point. Period.

The more salient point is that Disney should simply limit ALL Blog signups to one event a year (including as a guest), but they don't want to because they want the bloggers there. If you get some dude from Davenport there who's only a fan, then what does Disney get out of it? Nothing. But if you get a blogger, then you're going to be getting positive publicity and coverage.

I don't blame the bloggers (well, to some degree I do because I think they want as much as they can get from Disney), but ultimately, this is an issue of Disney deliberately not wanting a level playing field.

WDW1974

Sorry, that post was about another train of thought - not the meet-ups. Glados was talking more about them getting lodging, services, etc (related to the media events) without disclosing that. The FTC rules can be paraphrased to be if you are getting some treatment beyond what a normal customer would expect to get.. you need to disclose it. Free or special discounted lodging or meals would be included in that.

Except there's absolutely no teeth in the FTC rules, so they're about as serious as a speed limit.

And even legit media won't say they got a media rate at a resort like Disney as that's considered a part of the business.

But when Disney flies Lou Mongello from O-Town to Oahu for a week, the cost is thousands (many, many at retail) of dollars and that should be disclosed ... or when his social media director gets a $200 bar tab comped at a resort (she did once that I am aware of, likely numerous times in reality) just well ... because she's special ... that should be disclosed. Especially when there is never one critical word spoken about Disney.

It is a bizarre little world.

WDW1974

No doubt about that. I'd love to know what the 'retail' value of your junket was and if you could or would actually pay for the same experiences. ... I also, from a shareholder PoV, wonder why does anyone need to be flown anywhere to test video games that are being released. The company can just send review copies to people like yourself. ... Obviously, the goal is to make you a BRAND ADVOCATE for Disney. Not saying you would be, but that's exactly what they are doing with social media folks in the parks and resorts segment.

Well said, and I agree. Well, except for the DL part. You won't convince me (as someone who has had like experiences) that that was work no matter how hard you try. It just isn't. It's like a travel writer that spends a month in the south of France and then writes about it. Maybe composing the story is work (although for real writers, it flows naturally), but taking the experiences all in are not.

I've always done (well, 90% of time anyway) what I love, so I would never be jealous of those who do likewise.
But no matter how you spin it, camping out waiting for a soft opening at TT is never going to be work for those of us who live in the real world.

I can't agree here. He comes off as a slimeball (he was a lawyer, you know) who has been able to manipulate himself into a position where he has insincerity and fakeness down to an artform. Of course, he gives a damn about doing what you term 'a good job' because it is how he makes a living. Lou gets away with whatever he wants. I really don't care how good his content is because I know how it was gained.

Absolutely agree.

WDW1974

I'm really uncomfortable to see names being publicly named. A large number of those are friends.

Disney puts the list out. How can you fault anyone but Disney.

But it brings to mind a fundamental issue that many social media members have. They want all the perks that real media get, but they also don't want any criticism or shots taken at them from strangers on the 'net. It doesn't work that way.

You don't make yourself and your actions public to the world (indeed, try and make a living off of them) and not be open to criticism (provided it doesn't get personal -- unless that affects the job).

I once had a media job where I got all sorts of mail on a daily basis. Much was very complimentary. Some was quite hateful. But my employer demanded that I responded to each and every piece, even if it was something as simple as 'thanks for the input, appreciate it.''

You can't be NEW/SOCIAL media and put stuff out to the world and think you are a private citizen or even an anonymous poster on a discussion board. You want the good? You gotta take the bad too.

Lee

Adventurer
gtovryslf said:
Like I said earlier, we've struck a nerve with some of these folks as they are still lashing out at the site and this thread on Twitter. It's pretty comical to read some of the things they are saying.
What I've learned via Twitter in the last 24 hours:
I thought I had met stupid people in my life, and then I remembered Lee from WDWMagic was clearly the dumbest...
Which I honestly didn't know! Imagine my surprise!
So I attempted to learn more by asking why that was.
you still use forums and WDWMagic... And insult people you don't know at all...
Holy carp! Who knew that posting here instead of Twitter makes one "stupid" or "dumb"? I sure didn't. Silly me.

Still trying to find the part where I insulted somebody...

Bolna

You can't be NEW/SOCIAL media and put stuff out to the world and think you are a private citizen or even an anonymous poster on a discussion board. You want the good? You gotta take the bad too.

I very much agree with this - and it seems that a lot of people on twitter seem to be envious of the "good" that anonymity brings with it. That's why there is always the argument that people on forums like this "hide" behind their usernames and don't publish their identity. Nobody forces anyone on twitter to use their own name and tweet openly. So that's a choice. Just as others have the right to choose to "hide". Each has to live with the consequences of their choice.

WDW1974

Tom, you do realize responding to you here is keeping me from your DLP observation thread! And I don't think Scarlett would want to be referred to as a horse, but I admit I don't know the woman. ... I think she was wrongly made the focus (by others) of the discussion, but we've moved way past that. I don't think anything is gained by you bringing it up again, except that more Twitverse folks will go running to her saying 'the (blanks) on MAGIC are talking (blank) about you and calling you (blank) etc' when that is NOT the case.

If she's your friend, then I'd just suggest that bringing her up yet again does her no service at all. The thread isn't about her (but can you see if she can get her new boyfriend to wrestle Merfie in a kiddie pool of PB&J and turkey legs on the beach at the Grand Flo for charity ... I guarantee we could raise thousands of dollars for some good cause by watching that spectacle!)

Putting anything on Twitter that the world can see makes it public (that's why you can lock your account). No, Twitter itself doesn't make you a public figure. But being social media does.

That said, I agree with most of this thread. Why Disney doesn't use a lottery system for these events (like they do for Disneyland Candlelight) is beyond me. Expecting people to always be in front of their computers is insane.

Well, I think many of these folks live online and have their iPhones and tablets at the ready to get anything first.

But they don't need a lottery. They just need to limit it. Very, very simple and fair to everyone, including the bloggers, solution. Once a year you get to go to an event held by the Blog. Twice a year IF they decide to double the amount of folks invited.

Solved. Where's my $25,000 consulting check for that one?

What I disagree with--in these social media conversations in general--is that Steve has allowed this thread to exist with numerous names from other websites without naming the people he has at all of these events. These events get covered here, as does every single media event, CM opening, etc., ...how do you all think that happens? This is the single-biggest "lifestyle" site on the internet. As you all about other lifestyle sites, does this site not bother you?

This is not a knock at Steve--despite forums fading into obsolescence elsewhere, Steve has been mindful of what the community wants, and has evolved his website accordingly. The latest iteration of this site is incredible. Steve and I may not see eye to eye on a lot of things, but he is excellent at running this website.

I don't believe MAGIC has any presence at say the MK Fantasyland party or on the Dream launch. Steve certainly has folks in O-Town who feed him news and, often, photos. I also wouldn't term this a Lifestyle site anymore than I would Miceage. Fan sites, yes. But that's semantics. As to your questions regarding media events and the site, I think only @wdwmagic can answer those.

WDWFigment

Disney publish the names of all those attending the meets. Here is the latest http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...ks-blog-meet-up-at-downtown-disney-attendees/
If anyone objects to having their name published, they should not sign up.

There are a group of people in the Disney community that are clearly trying to make a name for themselves. You fit into this group. I notice you recently changed your Twitter username from WDWFigment to TomBricker. It seems these days that a 'real person' name is more marketable online than a 'username'.

Now as soon as people start using their real names, and document every aspect of their life on Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, 4square, and any other platform they can - they become very public. Frankly, privacy is out of the window at that point. These people are making it VERY clear to the world that they want the attention and exposure. It seems to be logical that if these people value their privacy, and do not want to be talked about, they should perhaps reconsider how public they make their lives.

With the exception of the wdwfigment>tom_bricker thing (which I did solely because I *hate* the wdwfigment name), I don't think you're mostly right. I will freely admit that I've willingly brought a lot of attention upon myself and opened myself to criticism because of that. I have a blog and have been quoted as an "expert" in a few places, but I'll be the first to admit that I should not be considered an expert. I have opinions, and I happen to like them, but plenty of others disagree with them on very solid bases.

That said, I think "internet privacy" is an evolving concept, and one we'll continue to hear about in the next few years. Is Lou Mongello a public figure based on his social habits? Yes. Am I? Probably. Is Jane Doe who happens to express an opinion in a snarky way, which (unbeknowst to her) goes viral? I don't think so. While I don't like some of the flak I've caught on these boards, I can understand the basis for it. Point being, just because someone puts info out there online doesn't necessarily make them ripe for editorialization.

ETA: right, not wrong, in the first paragraph.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom