'Be Our Guest Restaurant' testing new advance online ordering for lunch

Calvin Coolidge

Horseshoe? Serve Frontierland-inspired food and a continuous show of some kind. The BoG situation seems to be guests telling Disney that they really want to eat good food in a well-themed, fun atmosphere. One in each land would seem like a good idea. (The pirate one that was talked about a while back? The old Astronomers Club that was designed for the Terrace in TL?)

A great idea, but I see the Horseshoe quickly devolving into "Woody's Roundup Puppet Show"

djlaosc

Oh, yeah... I forgot.
I shall make it so!

I wish...

"When you wish upon a star
Makes no difference who you are
If you're richer, you'll go far
Your dreams come true

If your heart is in your dream
Reserve a time for your ice cream
Or your seat there at the bar
As dreamers do

Belle is kind
She brings to those who pay
The sweet fulfillment of
Their secret longing

Like a bolt out of the blue
Fastpass+ will startle you
Used to dream upon a star
And dreams came true

She is kind
She brings to those who stay
The sweet fulfillment of
Their onsite lodging

Like a bolt out of the blue
Rich step in, no time to chew
When they wish upon a star
Their dreams come true"

Dads 2 Boys

Wow....talk about over-reaction by the masses here just like everything else that is tested. Let it play out and see what happens before jumping off the deep end. This is almost as bad as the craziness shown about FP+. Over 95% of the board really have no concrete idea how FP+ is going to work (me included) but hate it before experiencing it. Let it come to fruition first and then make an educated judgment AFTER experiencing it......not by speculation.

This might be a good thing for BOG and it might not. This might be a test so they don't have to go to lunch reservations. What does it hurt to try something first?

lazyboy97o

Wow....talk about over-reaction by the masses here just like everything else that is tested. Let it play out and see what happens before jumping off the deep end. This is almost as bad as the craziness shown about FP+. Over 95% of the board really have no concrete idea how FP+ is going to work (me included) but hate it before experiencing it. Let it come to fruition first and then make an educated judgment AFTER experiencing it......not by speculation.

This might be a good thing for BOG and it might not. This might be a test so they don't have to go to lunch reservations. What does it hurt to try something first?
How much more is there to know with this or FastPass+? I see issues with the broad notion of the advanced reservations, not specific details.

Figment2005

98% of Walt Disney World guests are NOT readers of this forum. The percentage used is for comparison, not an exact number. Guests want the easiest and carefree trip they can get, and if that means planning a few things out beforehand, then they will jump on it. The less a guest has to worry about when they are actually on property for their vacation, the happier the guest will normally be. EVERYTHING that Disney has on its way regarding Fastpass+, pre-ordered food, and RFID is based on making the guest experience quicker and more efficient once the guest arrives on property. If a person planning a WDW vacation doesn't completely understand the steps, Disney offers plenty of help, just call them. Of course, a travel agent could also be used, and they will make sure everything is taken care of or at least they should. This isn't going to be a huge inconvenience that everyone on these boards seems make it out to be.

MickeyPeace

Automat_restaurant.JPG

Hey TDO, I have a way to make things even more efficient. Install these-

Guests will tap their "magical rose" against it. Take food. Eat.

Why should guests have to wait at all? Cha-ching.

The Empress Lilly

This seems to be exactly what they are looking to change. The people who are standing at the kiosk for 15 minutes working out what they want is killing the throughput of guests. By moving this ahead of their arrival it will help. Those doing the test can make changes at anytime online, and even make changes once they arrive at the restaurant. It is really a win win situation.
This was solved way back in the 1970s. The solution is to seperate ordering points from food preparation and distribution points.

In BoG's setup, the easy and cheap solution would be to simply install a few extra automated ordering touchscreens. Or a human-staffed ordering station. Guests can then take all the time they need to make up their mind, without any effect on other aspects of the restaurant's capacity.

WDW has other motives behind this experiment.

Maybe not all of them bad. For myself for example, I already know I am craving a cheeseburger April 14th, 11:35 AM! Because earlier that day I got wet from the rain outside, so I need to shelter inside, with something hearty and salty to deal with my wet clothes and the unexpectedly chilly winds. I already know this now.

lazyboy97o

make the menu a smart phone app people can browse before getting to the terminal.. that would help. make it so they can actually prepare the order on the device and batch it into the system. would also help speed things up.
Now that is a "NextGen" type app I think I could support.

Nmoody1

I think order kiosks are a great way of ordering g - it's service for the Apple generation. Ordering in advance, I'm not so sure. Disney seem to be taking the fun out of 'discovering' the parks by adding these pre ordered attractions, meals etc. sometimes it's nice to sit down, absorb the area around yo and make a decision. Not look at a map 6 months before your vacation and plan your day out.

WDWFREAK53

Hasn't it always been this way? I would certainly put dinner in the early 90s at say the California Grill as a better experience than riding Body Wars at Epcot.

Well, yes and no.
California Grill isn't in the park. When you're outside of the parks, you're not looking for attractions...you're going for the sole purpose to eat.

People are paying a lot of money to line up for a restaurant...and then pay to eat.

This is making it seem that there are a lot of people that will line up for this restaurant at rope drop much like they would Soarin', ToT, TSMM, etc. If that is the case, then it's not a good sign for the rest of the park.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, yes and no.
California Grill isn't in the park. When you're outside of the parks, you're not looking for attractions...you're going for the sole purpose to eat.

People are paying a lot of money to line up for a restaurant...and then pay to eat.

This is making it seem that there are a lot of people that will line up for this restaurant at rope drop much like they would Soarin', ToT, TSMM, etc. If that is the case, then it's not a good sign for the rest of the park.

I think Epcot has set the standard for this. Disney has seen how people are prepared to queue, and pay to eat in World Showcase restaurant, in many cases in preference to going on an attraction. The same is now happening at Be Our Guest. The restaurant IS the attraction.

WDWFREAK53

I think Epcot has set the standard for this. Disney has seen how people are prepared to queue, and pay to eat in World Showcase restaurant, in many cases in preference to going on an attraction. The same is now happening at Be Our Guest. The restaurant IS the attraction.

...but we're talking about queueing up for a counter service meal...not a sit-down meal.
World Showcase, while great, is really overrated as a "theme park" experience because there really is NOTHING but "fluff." Once you leave Future World, where are the "must-do's?" Leisurely strolling around WS is nice and all but if you have young kids, what is there for them aside from making a paper mask? I'm not saying that there needs to be characters around every corner and that's the exact opposite of what I want for WS...but at least do SOMETHING back there. To me, it equates to an elaborate mall. Extremely well-themed with different food choices and places to shop. Each and every country should have an attraction. By attraction, I don't mean E-ticket...I just mean an attraction that showcases the country, its history, or its folklore.

AmongMadPeople

It sounds like our experience of BOG lunch was an anomaly. We ate there November 28th. Got in line at 10:45 and had our food by 11:07. There is plenty of opportunity to see the menu before ordering. We placed our order with a person, which I think sped up the process some compared to those directed to a touch screen.

disneyeater

I should have direct deposit with Wawa :) I know every Wawa in DelCo.

Delco, WAWA, Preston and Steve......are you me in an alternate universe?

I really don't see what the issue is with this. If you want to order your lunch in advance, you can, if not, you can wait in line like you do now. Guess I don't see the downside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom